Indians pitching impressive last two days

trottime

I was very impressed with the Indians' pitching the last two days. True, there were some hit batters, but they seemed to have great location and were able to pitch to spots that their scouts apparently had told them were problems for our hitters.

They were pitching outside to Anderson and he had a very difficult time, including striking out twice. Paulie seemed to have a hard time as well.

I hope this is not an indication of what the Indians' staff will be like this year.

QUOTE(trottime @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
I was very impressed with the Indians' pitching the last two days.  True, there were some hit batters, but they seemed to have great location and were able to pitch to spots that their scouts apparently had told them were problems for our hitters.

They were pitching outside to Anderson and he had a very difficult time, including  striking out twice.  Paulie seemed to have a hard time as well.

I hope this is not an indication of what the Indians' staff will be like this year.

There is no doubt their staff will be good this year. But I trust our guys and the expierience they gained last year, which in my mind will come through in the long run. No worries over here, its April 6th!!!!

:gosox1:

I was very impressed with the Indians' pitching the last two days.  True, there were some hit batters, but they seemed to have great location and were able to pitch to spots that their scouts apparently had told them were problems for our hitters.

They were pitching outside to Anderson and he had a very difficult time, including  striking out twice.  Paulie seemed to have a hard time as well.

Pretty much what a lot of pitchers did last year was to spot the fastball on the outside corner, and then nibble away. Our right handers have been having problems with that for years. Our plate discipline needs to get better. If we force pitchers to throw strikes we will help ourselves out big time.

Westbrook was good. Mota was good.

We should of killed a few of their other pitchers. They gave us too many opportunities that we didnt cash in on.

Edited by southsideirish71

Lee and Westbrook have been consistently above average pitchers for the last several years. They'll have very good games, and a few poor games thrown in there. Those 2 are not the ones who are going to determine what the Indians do this year.

The ones who will decide that will be Sabathia, Byrd, and Johnson. Byrd and Johnson are the ones who may wind up being the whipping boys of that staff...they may be the ones who give up just enough runs for the Tribe to lose a game or two. Or they may have more bad games. Johnson has never impressed me, and Byrd is getting older and older. And then of course, Sabathia has to find a way to start over 25 games in a season.

Their bullpen is decent, but I don't think it's great. We hammered the thing on Sunday. We ran into trouble with Mota, but Mota has a lot of problems that don't show up in 1 game (Injuries, etc.) We also saw their bullpen getting into a ton of jams late in yesterday's game, and the Tribe's opponents won't always have as much trouble with clutch hitting as we had yesterday. Wickman's health is also going to be a question mark in my eyes until he retires.

I think we should take heart in the fact that we may very well have seen the best the tribe pitching could throw at us in the last 2 days, and the Sox still had a shot at least yesterday, if a couple of guys could get their heads into the game.

We definitely let them off the hook more than a few times yesterday. Overall, they've got a good staff. I knew that long before these last couple of games.

The results were good for Westbrook and Lee, but we had quite a few hard hit balls that were right at people. I can remember about 5 yesterday and another 3 or 4 on Tuesday. Plus we had plenty of chances to put up runs with one well timed hit. It's not like we were totally shut down the whole game. Those guys are fairly good pitchers, but neither is a strikeout pitcher and they rely on their defense to get outs. They'll have days where they just can't get anyone out.

Mota was impressive though, he looks a lot like his old self. That's a bad sign.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
Lee and Westbrook have been consistently above average pitchers for the last several years. 

What?

Only once has Jake Westbrook had an era below the league average, and only once has Jake Westbrook had a WHIP under 1.3. His 2004 season was a fluke.

Cliff Lee has only had two years as a full time starter, and last year he was able to pad his record by feasting off the Royals and getting 9 runs a game.

If the Sox don't s*** their pants with the bases loaded yesterday, we're not having this conversation.

What?

Only once has Jake Westbrook had an era below the league average, and only once has Jake Westbrook had a WHIP under 1.3.  His 2004 season was a fluke.

Cliff Lee has only had two years as a full time starter, and last year he was able to pad his record by feasting off the Royals and getting 9 runs a game.

If the Sox don't s*** their pants with the bases loaded yesterday, we're not having this conversation.

Westbrook isn't really a fluke. He's just the same type of pitcher as Garland. He's a groundballer who needs help from his defense. He's a good #4 starter, just like Garland. Their career numbers are even eerily similar...

Jake Westbrook (career stats): 4.39 ERA | 1.37 WHIP | .273 BAA | 4.85 K/9

Jon Garland (career stats): 4.42 ERA | 1.38 WHIP | .265 BAA | 4.92 K/9

If Westbrook is a fluke, then so is Garland. But Cliff Lee has only had one good season which was last year. Who knows if he's the real deal or not.

Edited by SSH2005

Well based on his previous seasons I would have to say that Garland's 2005 was a fluke. (Please prove me wrong John.) However, Jon has a chance to prove that 2005 was a breakout season, and Westbrook blew his chance to show that 2004 wasn't a fluke with a mediocre 2005.

EDIT: Garland has also been better in the ERA department on a season to season basis. 2 above the average (half the season in relief,) 3 right at the average. Westbrook has had 2 seasons with ERA's in the 5's, 1 great ERA, 1 average, and 1 below average season.

Looking at the career numbers, I'd say Garland is an average pitcher, and Westbrook is a below average pitcher.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(trottime @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)

The Tribe's pitching is one that can rival the Sox. They have always had good pitching though. Last year we played 9 one-run games against them, but we won all of them. Now in game 3 of the 2006 season we lost one in 11 innings. We don't have Pods or Konerko hitting yet either. Freddie Garcia pitched yet another one of his up and down games by getting knocked around for 7 runds. For some reason he tends to get bombed from time to time.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)
The Tribe's pitching is one that can rival the Sox. They have always had good pitching though. Last year we played 9 one-run games against them, but we won all of them. Now in game 3 of the 2006 season we lost one in 11 innings. We don't have Pods or Konerko hitting yet either. Freddie Garcia pitched yet another one of his up and down games by getting knocked around for 7 runds. For some reason he tends to get bombed from time to time.

Our pitching is definitely better, or at least our starters. We had 4 starters with an ERA under 4 last year to their two. Buehrle, Garcia, and Vazquez have better resumes than anyone on their staff and Contreras pitched as well as anyone in baseball for the second half of the season. Sabathia and Byrd are their only two pitchers that have put together more than one solid season in their careers. Let's not go nuts over 2 games, especially when Lee's outing wasn't even a quality start.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
Mota was a highly thought of player with Dodgers, his arm has never been a question he was a big piece of the Penny trade, Clev did well getting Mota and Marte in Crisp deal.

Well there's still questions on whether Mota can hold up for a whole season or not. If he pitches like he did setting up for the Dodgers though, the Indians pen suddenly becomes a WHOLE lot better.

But I don't think Byrd or Johnson can do the job for them at the back end of the rotation either.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 02:47 AM)
Well there's still questions on whether Mota can hold up for a whole season or not. If he pitches like he did setting up for the Dodgers though, the Indians pen suddenly becomes a WHOLE lot better.

But I don't think Byrd or Johnson can do the job for them at the back end of the rotation either.

Byrd is fine for a 4th-5th spot... basicly keeping it warm till one of their 3 prospects are ready. But yeah Johnson kind of sucks.

I think it is way too early to make any predictions or comparisons. 3 games in early April? You could maybe do this in early May, but not now.

Sabathia didn't look that impressive and he is their #1. I thought the Sox hitters had a lot to do with the Indians pitching success.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Byrd is fine for a 4th-5th spot... basicly keeping it warm till one of their 3 prospects are ready.  But yeah Johnson kind of sucks.

I don't even know about Byrd. He's only struck out 181 hitters in the past 2 years (50 starts equals just above 3.5 hitters a game). And a few seasons ago, he gave up 36 homers. If he's not careful, if he goes back to his flyball ways, that ERA could jump.

Johnson is just really not good. 6.66 ERA away from Comerica last season equals trouble.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 02:07 AM)
I don't even know about Byrd. He's only struck out 181 hitters in the past 2 years (50 starts equals just above 3.5 hitters a game). And a few seasons ago, he gave up 36 homers. If he's not careful, if he goes back to his flyball ways, that ERA could jump.

Johnson is just really not good. 6.66 ERA away from Comerica last season equals trouble.

That's a beastly ERA.