4/6 Games

Heads22

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 09:40 PM)
Good individual performances to note;

Donny Lucy for WS went 2 for 3, with a BB, a 2B and a HR. Gomes in the #5 spot should be interesting to watch this season.

Liotta gave up 1ER in 5IP. Only 2 K's with 2 BB's though, always been the question mark on him. Valido 2 for 4 in the #2 hole, with a double. Collaro homered.

Salvador Sanchez went 2 for 3 with a BB, Francisco Hernandez 2 for 4 with a 2B. Rodriguez didn't give up an ER in 6IP.

What's new?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 2 guys Im most interested in this year is Francisco Hernandez and Anderson Gomes.... besides a course Ryan Sweeny.

But yeah a big year by Hernandez can really make him a legitimate prospect and he would almost be perfect to take over once Pieryznski's contract is up. And Gomes just because of how excited Phil Rogers seems about him and obviously the Sox to start him off in high A.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 06:15 PM)
The Brazilian Duo Update:

Anderson Gomes: 2-4, 2 runs and double.

Winston-Salem Box

Paulo Orlando: 3-4, 1 runs, 2 RBIs and a double. 

Kanny Box

Love how the Sox are expanding their talent search.

Orlando is an intriguing player. Coming over from the Sox Dominican team where he played pretty well.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
I think the 2 guys Im most interested in this year is Francisco Hernandez and Anderson Gomes.... besides a course Ryan Sweeny.

But yeah a big year by Hernandez can really make him a legitimate prospect and he would almost be perfect to take over once Pieryznski's contract is up.  And Gomes just because of how excited Phil Rogers seems about him and obviously the Sox to start him off in high A.

Remember Gomes was given pretty big bucks. I think some people expected him to start potentially higher than where he is. That said he has a unique talent, but whether that talent translates into a quality major leaguer, who knows.

Going to be interesting to see what he does though, supposedly the ball just jumps off his bat.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 06:40 PM)
Good individual performances to note;

Donny Lucy for WS went 2 for 3, with a BB, a 2B and a HR. Gomes in the #5 spot should be interesting to watch this season.

Liotta gave up 1ER in 5IP. Only 2 K's with 2 BB's though, always been the question mark on him. Valido 2 for 4 in the #2 hole, with a double. Collaro homered.

Salvador Sanchez went 2 for 3 with a BB, Francisco Hernandez 2 for 4 with a 2B. Rodriguez didn't give up an ER in 6IP.

Liotta is a sinker baller so a lack of strikeouts shouldn't really be a concern. He gets ground balls and can get a strikeout with his slider when necessary.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 03:52 AM)
Remember Gomes was given pretty big bucks. I think some people expected him to start potentially higher than where he is.  That said he has a unique talent, but whether that talent translates into a quality major leaguer, who knows. 

Going to be interesting to see what he does though, supposedly the ball just jumps off his bat.

Does anyone at soxtalk live by the Winston Salem team or anything or no? And if no is anyone planning on going to any games this year that would be able to tell us a little about him if they did.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
Does anyone at soxtalk live by the Winston Salem team or anything or no?  And if no is anyone planning on going to any games this year that would be able to tell us a little about him if they did.

I talk to people and may be going again this year, but he'll be in Bham if things go well. Randar lives in the area of all 3 of the Sox minor league teams though so I'm sure he'll catch a few games.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 04:18 AM)
I talk to people and may be going again this year, but he'll be in Bham if things go well.  Randar lives in the area of all 3 of the Sox minor league teams though so I'm sure he'll catch a few games.

Yeah looking at the Bham OF it wouldnt be hard for him to get up there with a good showing....Last year he would of been stuck in High A. How fast do you think the sox would promote him if he performs well.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
Yeah looking at the Bham OF it wouldnt be hard for him to get up there with a good showing....Last year he would of been stuck in High A.  How fast do you think the sox would promote him if he performs well.

I'd assume relatively quick. But that really depends on how mature he is and how good his swing is. If they feel he succeeds despite being raw they may be best suited holding him back and taking things slowly.

However if they see him dominating and they don't notice any bad habits or other things that need to be fixed before moving up a level (ie things that would cause him to get torn apart in AA) than I could see him moved relatively quickly.

Right now I dont' think the org knows what they have in him since IIRC he's knew to the whole position player thing.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
Liotta is a sinker baller so a lack of strikeouts shouldn't really be a concern.  He gets ground balls and can get a strikeout with his slider when necessary.

Yeah so long as he keeps his ERA where it was last season in the higher levels, then it shouldn't be a problem.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
Love how the Sox are expanding their talent search.

And that's exactly what they're going to have to do if they still want to have a pretty good farm system (and still be a very sucessful team at the MLB level, hence not going any high draft picks).

Think outside the square a little, and get these guys from the Dominican Republic and Brazil. And so far, from what we've seen over the past couple of years, they're making some progress on this regard.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 02:04 AM)
And that's exactly what they're going to have to do if they still want to have a pretty good farm system (and still be a very sucessful team at the MLB level, hence not going any high draft picks).

Think outside the square a little, and get these guys from the Dominican Republic and Brazil. And so far, from what we've seen over the past couple of years, they're making some progress on this regard.

You can add Venezuela to the equation with the new baseball academy there.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
Remember Gomes was given pretty big bucks. I think some people expected him to start potentially higher than where he is. 

Really? I was pretty surprised to see him in W-S to start with such limited experience. I'll have to ask around a little, but the kid must have spent some time as an OF'er earlier in his career (i.e. prior to playing professionaly in Japan as strictly a pitcher). The guy has Chris Young type pop from what I have heard. That small-guy-big-power thing that is so rare.

Again, will be REAL interesting to see him play.

Hopefully will get to see him play when they are in Frederick or Wilmington at the end of April and early May.

I'm gonna just miss the Warthogs when I am in Myrtle Beach in May too. Leaving the day before they come to town for the week. Dumb planning of the vacation time. Could have mixed the golf with the baseball pretty well if I had known the schedule earlier.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
Yeah looking at the Bham OF it wouldnt be hard for him to get up there with a good showing....Last year he would of been stuck in High A.  How fast do you think the sox would promote him if he performs well.

I think you have to wait until he get's around the league a couple times and people have had a chance to scout him and pick out any weaknesses he shows. Then, if he adjusts quickly, you move him up. I imagine he'll be there at least until June.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
Really?  I was pretty surprised to see him in W-S to start with such limited experience.  I'll have to ask around a little, but the kid must have spent some time as an OF'er earlier in his career (i.e. prior to playing professionaly in Japan as strictly a pitcher).  The guy has Chris Young type pop from what I have heard.  That small-guy-big-power thing that is so rare.

Again, will be REAL interesting to see him play.

Hopefully will get to see him play when they are in Frederick or Wilmington at the end of April and early May.

I'm gonna just miss the Warthogs when I am in Myrtle Beach in May too.  Leaving the day before they come to town for the week.  Dumb planning of the vacation time.  Could have mixed the golf with the baseball pretty well if I had known the schedule earlier.

Haha. Ya, I heard a few people suggest to me he could have started higher, but at the same time you have to think it would make no sense. HE may be really talented, but he still hasn't faced this level of competition ever in his career.

The Sox saw enough to give him a 200 or 300 K bonus (I forget which) but thats pretty much 3rd round money.

I look forward to seeing him play and I bet he'll be one of those guys thats fun to watch at BP (considering how he's got one of those live bats).

I think Chris Young is a good comparison. And by Chris Young I'm referring to the Young of a few years ago who had all the potential but still had to pan out (obviously Young hasn't panned out as a MLBer, but he did pan out to become one of the better prospects in the game).

I think Whisler goes today Randy. We'll get to see how he does this year when healthy. I'm more excited to see what Lummy can do. He really pitched well this spring and mentally he's such a confident guy with great mound presence.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
I think Chris Young is a good comparison.  And by Chris Young I'm referring to the Young of a few years ago who had all the potential but still had to pan out (obviously Young hasn't panned out as a MLBer, but he did pan out to become one of the better prospects in the game).

I agree. Wasn't trying to compare Young's 2005 production to Gomes. Got a long way to go.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
I think Whisler goes today Randy.  We'll get to see how he does this year when healthy.  I'm more excited to see what Lummy can do.  He really pitched well this spring and mentally he's such a confident guy with great mound presence.

I'm in agreement on Lummy. Also interested to see how Broadway fares. Lummy has the best arm in the system at this point, and I've always thought he was higher-ceiling than Gio, as you know.

Whisler is a frustrating guy to watch but when he's healthy, he can dominate for stretches in games. He just gets himself into trouble too often by not being a "pitcher"... Hope the Sox can work a miracle with him because he's got the arm and frame to be a hell of a pitcher...

On another note... saw Jon Rauch pitching last night and man was he looking good. Heard someone outta Washington say they thought he was their third best starter coming out of spring but he landed in the bullpen. He dominated out of the pen last night. His delivery is quite a bit more upright now than I remember it and he's got a crazy look with the beard and hair, looks intimidating.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
Yeah I saw Rauch too he does look pretty good.  Even though he didnt work out 2 great here im glad both him and who was it Majewski both panned out pretty well in Washington.

I'm happy for Majewski but I could care less what Rauch does. Rauch could have been a good thing here if he didn't have such an attitude problem.

Interesting to see he's gotten things figured out though.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
I'm happy for Majewski but I could care less what Rauch does.  Rauch could have been a good thing here if he didn't have such an attitude problem. 

Interesting to see he's gotten things figured out though.

He made a mistake leaving early.... but you know im not going to condemn a guy who was obviously frustrated and knew he was going straight back down to AAA. I mean b4 his surgery he was a pretty damn good prospect and not being able to live up to that is tough. And hey it was funny when Buehrle hand cuffed him to the locker his next start so he couldnt leave.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
I'm happy for Majewski but I could care less what Rauch does.  Rauch could have been a good thing here if he didn't have such an attitude problem. 

Or if the organization hadn't handled his injury, rehab, and recovery the way they did...

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
He made a mistake leaving early.... but you know im not going to condemn a guy who was obviously frustrated and knew he was going straight back down to AAA.  I mean b4 his surgery he was a pretty damn good prospect and not being able to live up to that is tough.  And hey it was funny when Buehrle hand cuffed him to the locker his next start so he couldnt leave.

Rauch's attitude issues were far more deep than the leaving early incident.