Drays put Lugo on the 15 Day DL

Cali

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ai8H...ov=ap&type=lgns

Why don't they just call up B.J. Upton?

I remember a few broadcasts ago, during ST, Hawk was talking about how the D-Rays refuse to call up their young players. This is a perfect example of what he was saying, I mean I know it's 3 days into the season, but you know Tampa Bay isn't going anywhere, might as well have Upton up, and while you're at it Delmon Young can come with him.

QUOTE(Cali @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ai8H...ov=ap&type=lgns

Why don't they just call up B.J. Upton?

I remember a few broadcasts ago, during ST, Hawk was talking about how the D-Rays refuse to call up their young players. This is a perfect example of what he was saying, I mean I know it's 3 days into the season, but you know Tampa Bay isn't going anywhere, might as well have Upton up, and while you're at it Delmon Young can come with him.

2 reasons. Supposedly, B.J. Upton is just horrid at defense. Which is why Justin Upton is already being shifted to somewhere in the outfield IIRC. And that tells you something about the 2 franchises.

Secondly, because the arbitration clocks haven't started yet on either Upton or Young. When you have some ability to resign players, you're ok bringing them up a little early and letting them develop in the big leagues because you can hold onto them for longer. But when you're the D-Rays and working on trying to beat the Yankees and Red Sox, your best bet is going to be to stockpile a ton of talent at AAA, bring them all up at once, and then hope that you can make it competitive for a couple years before you have to start losing or trading people.

The arbitration clock flips to the next year some time in June, probably around the time of the draft. If they bring a guy up in April, he hits arbitration 1 year sooner than if they bring a guy up in July. I think you'll see both then.

Hawk was talking about the DRays not bringing guys up because they didn't want to pay the extra money, if I recall. In this case they've already brought Upton to the bigs so it has to be his defense that's keeping him down.