AL Central Central

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 14, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
Tigers win again, we lose tonight and we're in 2nd

The Tigers appear to obviously be a legit threat, however they are still playing their best and we aren't IMO so I'm not too worried, considering we are still in 1st despite that at the moment.

Also, I have a question about the Indians....is this like last year where they will make a sick run late and end up with 90 something wins, or are these guys really a .500 teams with those s***ty 4 and 5 starters, s***ty bullpen, and all of a sudden not so amazing looking offense.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 14, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
Mike Maroth's career ERA is 4.72. This year, it's 2.55.

Nate Robertson's career ERA is 4.76. This year, it's 3.27.

Color me skeptical. These two won't be pitching on cloud nine forever...

Young pitchers mature. They'll (the Tigers) be around for a while.

I still think Robertson blows, however I think Maroth and Bonderman are for real, and Rogers is still a solid veteran and Robertson is a decent bottom of the rotation guy. Combine that with those giant guys throwing 98 outta their pen and the Tigers lineup and you have a threat IMO. Should be a hell of a race :).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 15, 2006 -> 08:41 AM)
I still think Robertson blows, however I think Maroth and Bonderman are for real, and Rogers is still a solid veteran and Robertson is a decent bottom of the rotation guy. Combine that with those giant guys throwing 98 outta their pen and the Tigers lineup and you have a threat IMO. Should be a hell of a race :).

Rogers sucks in the 2nd half, and both of those guys will regress to their career numbers.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 15, 2006 -> 06:07 AM)
Young pitchers mature. They'll (the Tigers) be around for a while.

Nate Robertson and Mike Maroth are 28 soon to be 29, they're really not young anymore Robertson for sure will begin to regress simply because he is not a good pitcher, Maroth more than likely will follow suit as well but he is a better overall pitcher than Robertson.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 15, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
Still, 2.55 and 3.27 are AWFULLY good numbers.

After his 6 IP, O ER performance yesterday, Maroth is now at 2.18.

Whatever he's doing this season...it's working. I dont know how much it has helped but he's been giving a lot of credit to the presence of another soft tossing lefty on the team, that being Kenny Rogers. You constantly see Kenny talking to the lesser experienced pitchers on the Tigers. It also might help explain the emergence of Robertson as well, as they are all very similar pitchers.

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ May 15, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
After his 6 IP, O ER performance yesterday, Maroth is now at 2.18.

Whatever he's doing this season...it's working. I dont know how much it has helped but he's been giving a lot of credit to the presence of another soft tossing lefty on the team, that being Kenny Rogers. You constantly see Kenny talking to the lesser experienced pitchers on the Tigers. It also might help explain the emergence of Robertson as well, as they are all very similar pitchers.

DO you think he will tell Maroth to fold in the second half of the season as well?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless they replace Jason Johnson and Jake Westbrook gets back to his 2004 level, I can't see the Indians winning more than 90 games, and in this division the way that we are playing, I don't think that will be enough.

Westbrook's 2004 really sticks out like a sore thumb when looking at his career.

2006:

Millwood and Elarton: 93 IP, 50K's, 1.39 WHIP, 4.74 ERA

Byrd and Johnson: 83.1 IP, 36K's, 1.57 WHIP, 5.94 ERA

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 15, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
KC Vs CLE was postponed today meaning the Indians and Twins will finish the day tied for 3rd 8.5 games back of the 25-12 Sox. Oh yeah and the Royals are 14 games back.

Indians and Twins with identical records even though the Indians have scored 18 more runs than they've given up while the Twins have given up 33 more runs than they have scored.

Maroth doesn't strike enough people out for his ERA to stay that low, and Rogers will regress to his typical poor 2nd half. That and Todd Jones sucks ass, so the Tigers will come back to the pack a bit, but they will be in the race all year IMO.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 15, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
Maroth doesn't strike enough people out for his ERA to stay that low, and Rogers will regress to his typical poor 2nd half. That and Todd Jones sucks ass, so the Tigers will come back to the pack a bit, but they will be in the race all year IMO.

Obviously his ERA isn't going to stay below 3 for much longer but Maroth reminds me a lot of Jamie Moyer. I think he could have a pretty lengthy career with an ERA in the upper 3's.

And while Todd Jones isn't your classical closer because he lacks dominant closer "stuff"...he is a good arm out of the pen. With a career ERA of under 4.00 and multiple seasons of 40+ saves, I'd say he's a similar closer to guys like Bob Wickman and Ugie Urbina. Good but far from great.

Edited by JackTalkThai

Minnesota...bases loaded no outs. Top of the 7th. Down 7-3.

Cuddyer pops out to the shortstop.

Zumaya walks in a run followed by an inning ending double-play compliments of former Tiger Rondell White.

Detroit - 7

Twins - 4

Edited by JackTalkThai

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ May 16, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
Minnesota...bases loaded no outs. Top of the 7th. Down 7-3.

Cuddyer pops out to the shortstop.

Zumaya walks in a run followed by an inning ending double-play compliments of former Tiger Rondell White.

Detroit - 7

Twins - 4

:headshake :headshake :headshake