AL Central Central

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
I like the trade the Royals made with Tampa for Gathright, I think that's a good almost no risk move for KC.

If he turns out they've got a real speedster, not happy that he went there.

Since he cost so little I wish the White Sox could've found a way to get him. Oh well.

Kansas City sent one of their best pitching prospects for him, I wouldnt say it cost little

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
How much value is there in being "One of Kansas City's best pitching prospects"?

I guess not much, but still, they sent one of their better organizational prospects

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
How much value is there in being "One of Kansas City's best pitching prospects"?

Howell was pretty good at the University of Texas and has a nice breaking ball. Haven't looked at his numbers anytime soon, but I thought he was doing pretty good in the minors and I swore he already has made his debut at the major league level.

And I think Gaithright is incredibly over-rated. Still, he's a great athlete and I doubt Howell will ever be anything more than a 3rd starter (at its best).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
Howell was pretty good at the University of Texas and has a nice breaking ball. Haven't looked at his numbers anytime soon, but I thought he was doing pretty good in the minors and I swore he already has made his debut at the major league level.

And I think Gaithright is incredibly over-rated. Still, he's a great athlete and I doubt Howell will ever be anything more than a 3rd starter (at its best).

Howell, 23, is no longer a prospect in the true sense of that word because the Royals rushed him to the majors in 2005 and he no longer qualifies as a rookie. He wasn't ready for the big leagues in 2005, going 3-5, 6.19 in 73 innings over 15 starts. His biggest problems were allowing 39 walks (while striking out 54) and nine home runs as he gave big league hitters too much respect and fell behind in counts repeatedly.

This year, Howell was sent back to Triple-A Omaha, but he missed more than a month with a stiff shoulder. He returned to the O-Royals rotation on June 5, and has been effective in his three starts since coming back, going 0-0, 2.00, but he's been limited to nine innings as he works back from the injury. For the season, he was 3-2, 4.75 with 14 walks and 33 strikeouts in 36 innings.

Howell's been on the prospect radar for a while though, having been a second-round pick of the Braves in 2001 out of a Sacramento area high school. After one season at Southern California, Howell helped lead Texas to the College World Series in 2003 and 2004 and was the Royals' supplemental first-round pick in 2004. At his best, he has above-average command of a high-80s fastball, works with both a two-seamer and four-seamer, and has an above-average curveball. His changeup also has been a plus pitch at times, but he's not overpowering and profiles as a middle-of-the-rotation starter at best.

Zumaya loves serving up the dingers...

No disrespect tigerfan but why do you go to a Sox message board as soon as the Tigers give up the lead? Are you a member of a Tigers board?

Maybe because the Tigers don't have a board? :crying

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
No disrespect tigerfan but why do you go to a Sox message board as soon as the Tigers give up the lead? Are you a member of a Tigers board?

There is one, and I do frequent there. I come here cause I like to read reactions. That's all it is.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 08:31 AM)
The goal should be the division and we should concede nothing until somebody clinches something. What made me sick about the Cubs the past few years is how quickly they conceded the division to St. Louis... we can definitely win this thing. Howver, I will agree with you that it is very nice to know we are far ahead in the WC standings.

I am not conceding the division, and even if I were....all you got to do is get to the playoffs. The 1997, 2002, 2003, and 2004 WS Champs all won the Wild Card, so it's not wrong or something.

However, TIGERS LOSE! :cheers so that's good to see. Let's make it a 1 game defecit tonight.

Edited by whitesoxfan101