AL Central Central

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
Of course he did. That's what dominating pitchers do.

I'm sure if Lance Broadway were pitching against Oakland, the line would be 2IP, 6 hits, 4 ER's.

apples and oranges man. Broadway was drafted last year. Why dont we compare BMAC and Liriano?

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
That's two pretty bad losses to SEA. Cleveland's pitchers looked pretty terrible. Their hitters sure are raking though.

Their pitching is not going to dominate anyone this year. Just wait until their offense slumps.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
apples and oranges man.  Broadway was drafted last year. Why dont we compare BMAC and Liriano?

Liriano was never even drafted, so there's no real comparison when it comes to that. You could compare top pitching prospects to top pitching prospects which would arguably be Broadway, Liriano, Verlander, Sowers/Miller and Luis Cota I guess.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
Liriano was never even drafted, so there's no real comparison when it comes to that. You could compare top pitching prospects to top pitching prospects which would arguably be Broadway, Liriano, Verlander, Sowers/Miller and Luis Cota I guess.

Well BMAC was just about as unheralded when picked up, so thats why I was making comparison's.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)

That was my intention--comparing top pitching prospects. Although Liriano is hardly what I would consider a 'prospect', I believe Baseball America appointed him atop Minnesota's list recently. Limited innings (24) last season likely influenced BA's decision.

Honestly, what aggrivates about Liriano is how the Twins, of all organizations in MLB, pick him up. Perhaps the ONE pitcher best suited to replicate Santana just happens to be on their ballclub? I wouldn't call that chance. In addition to emulating their style of baseball on the field, Williams should replicate whichever methods their scouting department uses. They're obviously doing something right. Not only do you pick up a 1-2 punch that alone can win them a World Series, but their system literally creates hardthrowing pitchers out of thin air. Give them an offense and they're off.

Don't get me wrong, they've done well with Cotts and Jenks. Problem is, as we've seen this spring, there's not going to be many replacements available anytime soon. And I'm not even talking about pitching prospects capable of producing Cotts or Jenks numbers-- we're void of AVERAGE pitchers. Ones who could keep their ERA below 6. Good teams need turnovers available to sustain success, especially from the bullpen.

It may have come off as a joke in another thread, but I'm serious when I suggest Guillen should whore his popularity in Venezuela for top talent. Wasn't Felix Hernandez's idolizing Freddy Garcia during his early teens? If he would have been just a few years younger, who knows how the influence of Garcia, Guillen, and our World Series championship might have had on him. Perhaps right now our championship has set in motion the events which may lend us a Felix Hernandez.

Our baseball camps should essentially be the Yankees of Venezuela. "Want to play for national hero Ozzie Guillen? Join our camp," should be printed across banners and distributed.

I understand it's greedy to expect so much. If anything, after winning a World Series championship, Williams has shown how trading prospects for proven major league talent can be accomplished successfully. I'm not arguing with the philosophy in principle. However, we've been very fortunate none of the departed prospects have progressed into legitimate talent. One unfortunate add-in and we're bound to regret it. Joke all you want about Todd Ritchie trade, but not having either Wells or Fogg set us back several years. I'm convinced it would have led to a divisional championship in 03'.

What worries me is how other clubs within our division are beginning to catch up. Years of solid drafts (yes, many due to cellar dwelling) have provided our rivals with ideal opportunities to develop talent. We have to counter this. Our payroll is above 100mil, but we're not going to outbid many teams for good players. Konerko is an exception. There needs to be a more concentrated effort to atleast send scouts through Central America. Sox have produced no legitimate Latin prospects within the last 7 years. Doesn't this sound a little odd? Considering the high percentage of ballplayers in MLB from that area, I would say it's pathetic.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
Well BMAC was just about as unheralded when picked up, so thats why I was making comparison's.

I didn't mention this, but I applaud the development of McCarthy. He'll likely become our #1,2 one day.

--but there's no comparison between him and Liriano regarding performance, or expectations. Comparing McCarthy to Baker would be more suitable.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
Flash, it seems that you'd rather be in the Twins situation then ours which I just don't understand at all.

He wants to eat his cake and have it too.

He wants us to have our current roster, while having the Yankees as our farm system.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
Honestly, what aggrivates about Liriano is how the Twins, of all organizations in MLB, pick him up. Perhaps the ONE pitcher best suited to replicate Santana just happens to be on their ballclub? I wouldn't call that chance. In addition to emulating their style of baseball on the field, Williams should replicate whichever methods their scouting department uses. They're obviously doing something right. Not only do you pick up a 1-2 punch that alone can win them a World Series, but their system literally creates hardthrowing pitchers out of thin air. Give them an offense and they're off.

you gotta remember, Liriano was a Giants farmhand before the Twins got him in 2003

acquired from San Francisco along with pitchers Joe Nathan and Boof Bonser in exchange for catcher A.J. Pierzynski, November 14.

why the Giants gave up on him..I havent a clue

Flash has a point. I don't think the sox will continue to add to their payroll, JR is going to have a limit at some point. With that in mind they need to develop better prospects. I am not giving up on Broadway whatsoever, but they need to do some better scouting for the drafts. I think it was Josh PR who said it once, that the sox only have like 1 scout in a very baseball popular country... I forget what it was...

Don't get me wrong, Uribe, Jenks, and Cotts were great pickups, but we need more. How Logan broke camp with the team is insane. It's not that he can't pitch, but damn we have to go to a single A pitcher because everyone else sucks?

We need our scouts to find some good pitchers to draft and sign out of some of those countries because in the past few years we have had a damn good size of OF prospects and s***ty ass #5 starters and RP's.

For all our knowledgable minor league poster, tell me about Indians pitching prospect Fausto Carmona. He pitched well against Detroit.

6IP, 5hits, 4K's, 1 ER.

It's amazing Sabathia goes down, and without missing a beat another pitcher is called up whom immediately contributes. Apparently, not only do we have to look forward to Carmona, but Jeremy Sowers whenever he is promoted.

Lance Broadway...lol. Just thinking about him in relation to other teams top pitching prospects makes me laugh.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 15, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
For all our knowledgable minor league poster, tell me about Indians pitching prospect Fausto Carmona. He pitched well against Detroit.

6IP, 5hits, 4K's, 1 ER.

It's amazing Sabathia goes down, and without missing a beat another pitcher is called up whom immediately contributes.  Apparently, not only do we have to look forward to Carmona, but Jeremy Sowers whenever he is promoted.

Lance Broadway...lol. Just thinking about him in relation to other teams top pitching prospects makes me laugh.

I f***in hate winning world series. :angry:

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Apr 15, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
Just because Flash doesn't like Lance Broadway at all doesn't mean he wasn't happy with the Sox winning the World Series.

All he's been doing as of late is complain about our division rivals pitching prospects. It pretty much seems that he wants to switch positions with those teams. He can go right ahead and do so. Kenny uses our spects in a different way compared to most teams and that has brought us a world series and another legit world series contender this year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 15, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
That breaks up the streak that the Sox and Yankess had for the first 10 games of the year of WLLLLWWWWL, damn Yankees didn't hold up their side of the deal.

If they only had Rowand, he would of caught that single somehow!

Joke for all you Rowand lovers

Edited by Soxpranos