Old time Sox fans =

retro1983hat

I have been a Sox fan for all of my 34 years, but starting last year, during the playoffs and especially during the off season and during the first couple of games this year, old time Sox fans appear to love to complain about the increase in attendance and attention the team is receiving.

Bottom line, increased attendance and attention allows the team to build payroll and improve its chances of winning. Why not welcome these new fans instead of giving them crap.

I am sick of hearing from all these people whining about:

Going to McCuddys and the new fans didn't.

Walking up day of game and getting tickets in the past.

Being a long time fan entitles them to tickets before someone who recently became a fan.

Growing up in Bridgeport or the Back of the Yards and new fans come from the suburbs.

Never throwing a ball back.

How someone should eat a hot dog. Ketchup is a condiment, deal with it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally get accused of this but it's not like you put it. What I was rolling my eyes at was a) the overkill and B) all these fans that came out of the woodwork starting with the ALCS.

Part of it is complaining, yes, but I can also tell you it was a very real thing to walk down Michigan Ave. for years and never see any Sox gear and then all of a sudden they're EVERYWHERE. More of an observation than a complaint.

Actually, it's pretty funny: those downtown sports stores that until last year had 99% Cubs merchandise now have about the opposite. Even the Tribune Tower gift shop (!!!), while they don't have Sox jerseys, do have Sox windbreaker in the window.

It's all pretty funny if you think about it and I guess this is just what happens when you win it all. It's all new to most of us, since none of us was alive the last time it happened.

Me personally I think the the hype will die down as the season goes on--just a feeling.

But I'm sure not suggestig that there should be handful of us and no payroll, etc., etc.

And with that, I officially retire from this topic FOREVER.

Cheers.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
I have been a Sox fan for all of my 34 years, but starting last year, during the playoffs and especially during the off season and during the first couple of games this year, old time Sox fans appear to love to complain about the increase in attendance and attention the team is receiving.

Bottom line, increased attendance and attention allows the team to build payroll and improve its chances of winning. Why not welcome these new fans instead of giving them crap.

I am sick of hearing from all these people whining about:

Walking up day of game and getting tickets in the past.

Being a long time fan entitles them to tickets before someone who recently became a fan.

Growing up in Bridgeport or the Back of the Yards and new fans come from the suburbs.

Going to take exception to two of your points:

1) Throwing a HR ball back is for idiots and you don't need to be an old-timer to recognize that.

2) Miracle Whip is a condiment too, but it doesn't go on a hotdog. If the inventor of ketchup had known some people were going to abuse it and put it on hotdogs I bet he never would have followed through on the invention. Undoubtedly it was like Alfred Nobel and TNT for the Ketchup Guy - completely torn up with guilt over giving ketchup to the world, only to see it misused by the evil and amoral hotdog heretics.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
Seriously, the ketchup taboo has been around forever, and it's young and old, Sox and Cubs, anyone.  Royko wrote great columns about hot dog etiquette.  Better get used to that.

I am used to it. I just like to buck the trend.

One side of the hot dog, onions and mustard, the other side, relish and KETCHUP.

I LIKE KETCHUP ON MY HOT DOG!

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 10:21 AM)
That is a sin dude.  You can be shot for putting Katchup on a dog.  The worst is when I see people putting it on a Polish w/onions, how dare they.  Mustard only!!!

I saw a whole big to-do on WSI about this too.

Why does anyone care what anyone else puts on their food?

Thinking about someone putting ketchup on a hot dog is such a waste of time.

Personally, I don't like the "Chicago-style" dog with all that crap falling out of it, but I don't mock anyone who likes it.

For the sake of full disclosure, I don't have any particular "musts" for hot dogs - I can enjoy one just the same with any combination of:

ketchup

mustard

tomato slices

grilled onions ( not a fan of raw onions )

or I can eat one plain on a bun

What's the big deal? I don't get it.

EDITED to add: I love chili dogs, too!!!

Mmmmmm.......................chili dogs...................

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)

Well, they say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem . . .

:P

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
Seriously, I've never heard about this supposed ketchup etiquette.

And I've been putting ketchup on my hot dogs as long as I can remember...

Same here. I didn't even know what a chicago-style hotdog was until I was about 15 or 16.

I have been called retarted for putting mayo and ketchup on my burgers though...

I can't put it better than Royko did. In 1995:

No, I won't condemn anyone for putting ketchup on a hot dog. This is the land of the free. And if someone wants to put ketchup on a hot dog and actually eat the awful thing, that is their right.

It is also their right to put mayo or chocolate syrup or toenail clippings or cat hair on a hot dog.

Sure, it would be disgusting and perverted, and they would be shaming themselves and their loved ones. But under our system of government, it is their right to be barbarians.

And responding to some readers in 1993:

MIKE VOLGESBURG, Chicago:  Why is it wrong to put ketchup on a hot dog?  Until you can give a logical explanation, how can you state something is wrong when in fact you can't give a reason as to why it's wrong?

COMMENT:  It is wrong because it is not right.  Would you put whipped cream on a pizza?  Would you put mayo on pancakes or salt on ice cream or pour milk on French fries?  Remember, the Romans started putting ketchup on their hot dogs and look what happened to their empire.  Within two or three generations, it was overrun by guys with names like Volgesburg wearing fur underwear.

CATHY ARNOLD, Memphis:  I grew up in Chicago's western suburbs.  But for the past 14 years, I have been living in Memphis, where I discovered the most heinous hot dog crime of all.  My children's Southern friends not only request ketchup for their dogs, but -- are you ready for this? -- they slather large amounts of mayonnaise on them too.  It's enough to make your hair curl.

COMMENT:  If it's enough to make my hair curl, I'm going to try it.

Still missed, Mike. :)

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
I can't put it better than Royko did.  In 1995:

And responding to some readers in 1993:

Still missed, Mike.  :)

I don't know about pouring milk on french fries but I have poured milk on a bowl of saltine crackers. It's quite good. :D

I've also dipped chicken nuggets in ketchup and french fries in honey. Never got into the seasoned fries in ranch dressing though...

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)

Those three are legitamate laws of being a sox fan.

Seriously, if you want to throw a homerun ball back, go to wrigley, its not tradition on the south side.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
Truer words have never been spoken.

Seriously...a dog without ketchup is just not very good to me. I could care less what others do, but I've had ketchup and mustard on my dog since I was a kid and thats the way it tastes good.

Chili can be a nice treat though.

I'm more of a brat guy though.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
Seriously...a dog without ketchup is just not very good to me.  I could care less what others do, but I've had ketchup and mustard on my dog since I was a kid and thats the way it tastes good.

Chili can be a nice treat though. 

I'm more of a brat guy though.

It's OK, nobody expects the Californian to get it. ;)

I've always gone with relish and onion or chili, or at least as long as I can remember. I'm not a big fan of the chicago style dog. I can really live without the pickles and tomato, and I'm not a big mustard guy either. I can't stand mayo on a burger, that just doesn't work for me.

QUOTE(G&T @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
My gf puts mayo on her hotdog and I want to puke every time I see it. Luckily she only does it in the privacy of her home.

I *shudder* at the thought of that. Basically mayo on anything is gross. :puke

I find this thread funny because it insinuates that he is against the whining of the 'new sox fan' (which, for one, is a completely unquantifiable entity) and what does he do about it? Spends the last six lines whining about why he doesn't like this sub-culture of fans.