Old time Sox fans =

retro1983hat

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)

That is some sort of remoulade sauce the Danes put on that there hot dog sandwich, no?

I owe the Danes a lot, as they were the ones who introduced hops into brewing, but I'm ok without the sauce on my dog.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
That is a sin dude.  You can be shot for putting Katchup on a dog.  The worst is when I see people putting it on a Polish w/onions, how dare they.  Mustard only!!!

I could not agree more.

As for my two cents on the subject, just because I love the Sox increased attendance more than anyone doesn't mean I have to love the spiky haired moron from Elmhurst putting ketchup on his polish, throwing home run balls back, talking about how dangerous "downtown" is (a euphemism for any neighborhood within city limits), and - most importantly - STARTING THE WAVE.

I hate The Wave. If anyone on this board calls themselves a Sox fan and has done The Wave, shame on them.

I can't believe we have four pages of crap about what some people put on a hot dog!!! WTF?

I sat near this big fat jerk on Opening Day who was felt he was entitled to the best seats and to every give away because he went to about 40 games a year.

I told him I deserve a medal for coming all the way from California to Opening Day. That and a couple dozen hot dogs shut him up.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
I have been a Sox fan for all of my 34 years, but starting last year, during the playoffs and especially during the off season and during the first couple of games this year, old time Sox fans appear to love to complain about the increase in attendance and attention the team is receiving.

Bottom line, increased attendance and attention allows the team to build payroll and improve its chances of winning. Why not welcome these new fans instead of giving them crap.

I am sick of hearing from all these people whining about:

Going to McCuddys and the new fans didn't.

Walking up day of game and getting tickets in the past.

Being a long time fan entitles them to tickets before someone who recently became a fan.

Growing up in Bridgeport or the Back of the Yards and new fans come from the suburbs.

Never throwing a ball back.

How someone should eat a hot dog. Ketchup is a condiment, deal with it.

EXCUSE ME!!!

I have been a Sox fan since 1959. I am not complaining about the attention the team is getting. However, you can use the old Yogi Berra saying and adjust it to read:

"Comiskey Park? No one goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
Going to take exception to two of your points:

1) Throwing a HR ball back is for idiots and you don't need to be an old-timer to recognize that.

2) Miracle Whip is a condiment too, but it doesn't go on a hotdog.  If the inventor of ketchup had known some people were going to abuse it and put it on hotdogs I bet he never would have followed through on the invention.  Undoubtedly it was like Alfred Nobel and TNT for the Ketchup Guy - completely torn up with guilt over giving ketchup to the world, only to see it misused by the evil and amoral hotdog heretics.

I bet the inventor of ketchup didn't intend for people to put it on ice cream and peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, but I know people who do both. so next time I eat a hotdog, I'm going to douse it in ketchup and think of you. then I'll buy another hotdog and put a reasonable amount of ketchup on it.

I'm not sure if this was covered already (total thread derailment alert) but while I think ketchup on hot dogs is un-American (and definitely un-Chicagoan), while in Europe I did try french fries with mayo and as disgusting as it sounds it is delicious.

I haven't tried to duplicate it here because it's just so many damn carbs, fat, calories, etc.--but as gross as it sounds they really do go together.

Moving back on topic--kinda--my highlight of this month attending my first game was having my first polish "with" from the Cell. I live for those things. Just for the hell of it, I tried a brat but I was unimpressed. And believe it or not I don't think I've ever had a hot dog there.

But them Polish... mmm...

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:27 PM)
I'm not sure if this was covered already (total thread derailment alert) but while I think ketchup on hot dogs is un-American (and definitely un-Chicagoan), while in Europe I did try french fries with mayo and as disgusting as it sounds it is delicious.

I haven't tried to duplicate it here because it's just so many damn carbs, fat, calories, etc.--but as gross as it sounds they really do go together.

Moving back on topic--kinda--my highlight of this month attending my first game was having my first polish "with" from the Cell.  I live for those things.  Just for the hell of it, I tried a brat but I was unimpressed.  And believe it or not I don't think I've ever had a hot dog there.

But them Polish... mmm...

unless they're going to put everything on it for me, I'll be just as content with ketchup and/or mustard on my hotdog. if anyone here is the expatriate, it's you for eating your FREEDOM fries with mayo.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)
unless they're going to put everything on it for me, I'll be just as content with ketchup and/or mustard on my hotdog.  if anyone here is the expatriate, it's you for eating your FREEDOM fries with mayo.

Hey now! I would NEVER buy into the whole "freedom fries" silliness!

:bang

Having said that, I personally don't care what you put on your polish/hot dog/fries--whatever makes you happy.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
I have been a Sox fan for all of my 34 years, but starting last year, during the playoffs and especially during the off season and during the first couple of games this year, old time Sox fans appear to love to complain about the increase in attendance and attention the team is receiving.

Bottom line, increased attendance and attention allows the team to build payroll and improve its chances of winning. Why not welcome these new fans instead of giving them crap.

I am sick of hearing from all these people whining about:

Going to McCuddys and the new fans didn't.

Walking up day of game and getting tickets in the past.

Being a long time fan entitles them to tickets before someone who recently became a fan.

Growing up in Bridgeport or the Back of the Yards and new fans come from the suburbs.

Never throwing a ball back.

How someone should eat a hot dog. Ketchup is a condiment, deal with it.

I totally agree with you on the ketchup thing. I like ketchup and don't like mustard. I do what I want.

I completely disagree with the whole throwing a ball back thing. That's for Cubs fans. I think that those of us who do know the tradition are SUPPOSED to uphold it and let the younger or newer or dare I say fair-weather fans know that we don't do that here. Nothing pisses me off more than when people throw the ball back at Sox games.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 12:55 AM)
s***, first post of the new season and I messed it up. I put my thoughts in with the post I was replying to. Basically... keep the ball, throwing it back is a Cubs thing.

Damn it I messed up again, I tried replying to myself but the thing is empty. Oh well, it's been a while.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
Seriously...a dog without ketchup is just not very good to me.  I could care less what others do, but I've had ketchup and mustard on my dog since I was a kid and thats the way it tastes good.

Chili can be a nice treat though. 

I'm more of a brat guy though.

I will now and forever think of any hotdog with ketchup on it as being "Gaged".

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
After seeing the board for this past week... I would say the old timers might be whiners, but some of the youngins are the b****iest and moodiest things I have seen :bang

I think the bad mood is caused by the Sox being mathematically eliminated from the AL Central race.

That'll piss anyone off.....

:D

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 10:21 AM)
Ketchup on hot dogs is a hanging offense.

Might not be the best choice of words seeing as not long ago some people believed being a certain color was a hangable offense too.

:bang

I know you were joking but, I just wanted to point out the ridiculousness of a thread of people fighting about hot dogs. Seriously, you gotta prioritize your lives a little better here people...

That being said, I like them with and without ketchup, I really have no preference. If I go to a place out here with Chicago Sytle dogs, I get them that way. If I make them myself, I put ketchup on them.

And by the way, I had them with ketchup back when I lived in Chicago as well....