Backup Outfielders and now Relievers

DBAHO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:58 AM)
I would bring Sweeney or Owens up and give them a shot, especially if Pods is going to be out for awhile.

Not going to burn an Option on one of them to sit on the bench, There better off in the minors and there not ready yet for Prrriiimeee Timeee

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
Ok this thread is going to be for backup outfielders, that could be on the 25 man roster, if Ozzie Guillen is not going to use Ross Gload in the OF again, or so Pablo Ozuna doesn't have to play LF again. Of course, this isn't likely going to happen, but I thought I'd just put it out there, and get people's thoughts on this.

Dustan Mohr - Mohr's down in Pawtucket, the AAA team of the Red Sox. Can play all 3 OF positions, and had a .274/.394/.437 season back in 2004 for the Giants. Doesn't expect to be down in AAA long;

Joey Gathright - On the bench for Tampa. Probably won't be available, unless we give up something good for him.

Luis Terrero - Was designated for assignment by the D-Backs a little while back. But it looks like the O's are gonna get him;

Scott Hairston - Currently with the D'backs AAA team. Can play 2B, or LF or RF, IIRC. Hit .311/.384/.608 for Tucson last season.

Ryan Church - Currently in Frank Robinson's doghouse (hence why Brandon Watson is starting).

Dustin Mohr is starting in CF for the Red Sox off and on. Gathright isnt really available and he really isnt that great of a player.

We should have kept Borchard rather than Ozuna. I think we can only hope against hope that the adventures of Matt Thornton don't blow up in our face at the wrong time. But, that trade aside ole Pablo couldn't catch a fly with a bottle of syrup.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 08:31 AM)
We should have kept Borchard rather than Ozuna. I think we can only hope against hope that the adventures of Matt Thornton don't blow up in our face at the wrong time. But, that trade aside ole Pablo couldn't catch a fly with a bottle of syrup.

Matt Thornton is fall more valuable than Borchard at this point IMO.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 01:58 AM)
I would bring Sweeney or Owens up and give them a shot, especially if Pods is going to be out for awhile.

No way.

I'm hearing that Sweeney is struggling at AAA and that he's trying to find his swing that he had at AA Birmingham, so he doesn't deserve to be up here just to suck. And Owens, no friggin way, thank you...

KW needs to convince Loria that Florida can actually lower their payroll and get Reggie Abercrombie for $20. Then tell Bowden that you have a five-tool outfielder and all you want is Ryan Church.

Damn, I'm a genius.

Edited by Cerbaho-WG

QUOTE(Beastly @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
I'm hearing that Sweeney is struggling at AAA

His line so far: .229/.229/.229 with 11 K's in 35 AB

QUOTE(Beastly @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
And Owens, no friggin way, thank you...

His line so far: .182/.229/.364 2 HR, 6 RBI in 33 AB

He also has 5 stolen bases in 5 attempts.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
No way.

I'm hearing that Sweeney is struggling at AAA and that he's trying to find his swing that he had at AA Birmingham, so he doesn't deserve to be up here just to suck. And Owens, no friggin way, thank you...

I swear some people just hear names of players, and forget that there has to be performance merit for a promotion. Just throw out names of top prospects, they are all ready arent they?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
I swear some people just hear names of players, and forget that there has to be performance merit for a promotion.  Just throw out names of top prospects, they are all ready arent they?

People mention them, and its pathetic because if they don't do anything, why would they be good up here?

Personally, I see the White Sox putting Pods on the DL soon, and very soon, in which case, I see them calling up another pitcher, like a Redding for the bullpen, considering its very thin right now, IMO.

Cotts, Jenks, McCarthy, Logan, Politte, Thornton...and supplement a Redding in and see how that'd help.

Whats with people saying get rid of Gload? He's out of options and he's still a solid ball player. And his first name is Ross, so you know he's got to be good. :P

Matt Thornton is fall more valuable than Borchard at this point IMO.

At this point yes, I'd have to agree.

As for the Sweeney/Owens call-up idea--no way Jose. Sure, we'll burn an option year on two talented young players just so they can rot on the bench 6 days a week--that is a terrible idea. Young players need minor league AB's, not pine riding in the majors.

I don't know what the answer is here. I'd probably have to say just keep Gload, have KW scan the waiver wire like he does so well, and dump Ozuna in Charlotte if he finds someone.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
I don't know what the answer is here.  I'd probably have to say just keep Gload, have KW scan the waiver wire like he does so well, and dump Ozuna in Charlotte if he finds someone.

Like I said, keep Gload, put Pods on the deal and call up Redding.

And that Borchard trade was a wonderful deal. :)

Cody Ross is going to be moved from the Dodgers;

To make room for Robles, the Dodgers designated Ross for assignment, meaning they have 10 days to either trade him, release him or outright him. Ross, who is out of minor league options, will have to clear a 72-hour waiver period before he can be sent to the minors, so the Dodgers will try to trade him first.

He hit .267/.348/.509 in AAA ball last season. He's only 25 so he's still relatively young.

Another guy, I've long had an interest in, is Scott Hairston. He's never going to make it on the D-Backs. Currently they have Gonzo, Green, Byrnes and DaVanon as outfielders, with Upton, Young, Gonzales and Quentin in the minor leagues.

He can play a little second base, but they've moved him to LF. He's not the greatest fielder out there, but he can hit. The Sox orignally drafted him in 99 as well.

Hit .311/.384/.608 in AAA in 2005 and is hitting .318/.412/.545 so far for them this season. He's too good for AAA and deserves another chance in the majors somewhere. And the D-Backs aren't asking a lot for him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 06:49 AM)
Cody Ross is going to be moved from the Dodgers;

He hit .267/.348/.509 in AAA ball last season. He's only 25 so he's still relatively young.

Another guy, I've long had an interest in, is Scott Hairston. He's never going to make it on the D-Backs. Currently they have Gonzo, Green, Byrnes and DaVanon as outfielders, with Upton, Young, Gonzales and Quentin in the minor leagues.

He can play a little second base, but they've moved him to LF. He's not the greatest fielder out there, but he can hit. The Sox orignally drafted him in 99 as well.

Hit .311/.384/.608 in AAA in 2005 and is hitting .318/.412/.545 so far for them this season. He's too good for AAA and deserves another chance in the majors somewhere. And the D-Backs aren't asking a lot for him.

Matt Lawton is available from Seattle as well. I know he used roids, but he was the only to stand up and take his licks for doing so. He's a switch-hitter that can play all 3 OF positions and can probably be had for Ozuna. They want a RH hitting infielder. We need a RH hitter if the OF.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
Matt Lawton is available from Seattle as well.  I know he used roids, but he was the only to stand up and take his licks for doing so.  He's a switch-hitter that can play all 3 OF positions and can probably be had for Ozuna.  They want a RH hitting infielder.  We need a RH hitter if the OF.

He's a lefty....and washed up.

An unbalanced roster that has the team short of middle infielders and overcrowded with left-handed hitters must change because, in the long run, it simply doesn’t provide for a solid bench.

The simplest answer is the one Seattle is pursuing – moving Lawton or Petagine, hanging on to switch-hitting outfielder Joe Borchard.

Seattle isn’t looking for a huge return with either player.

Lawton is a switch-hitter who hasn’t had an at-bat this season, but can play all three outfield positions and is a career .267 hitter with speed. Petagine is a first baseman, designated hitter and pinch hitter who won three home run titles playing in Japan and has doubled and homered off the bench in three at-bats this year.

What the Mariners want to do is move one of those hitters and bring in a right-handed-hitting infielder who would allow the team to use its bench.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
Matt Lawton is available from Seattle as well.  I know he used roids, but he was the only to stand up and take his licks for doing so.  He's a switch-hitter that can play all 3 OF positions and can probably be had for Ozuna.  They want a RH hitting infielder.  We need a RH hitter if the OF.

To be fair, Jorge Piedra also admitted to taking roids and didn't just make up some stupid ass excuse as to why he tested positive.

OK....I thought about this walking back from class today.

Kinda on this subject.

With Crede heating up......if he could hit .280 with 20 hr and 65 RBI with Gold Glove defense...do we try to ink him to a long term deal (relatively) and if so, what could we do with Fields? Would the Carlos Lee move be an option with a shift to left for Josh?

Just brainstorming here. :P

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
Matt Lawton is a lefty, I'm 100 percent sure of it.  If I'm wrong, I promise I will never post again on soxtalk  (I sense a lot of people are praying that Lawton is a switch-hitter now).

I wonder if I can talk Lawton into batting righty just one time.