Backup Outfielders and now Relievers

DBAHO

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
Gary Matthews Jr.

Plays a good CF, can switch hit, and would be a solid back of the order bat.

Why would the Rangers trade their very good leadoff man? Especially now that they're 3.5 games up on Oakland for 1st place in the West.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
He's leading off for a first place team. He's not going anywhere.

Give it time....they will need pitching. Not that we can offer it, but we could offer them the prospects to help get a starter in a 3 team deal. Wilkerson can lead off for them.

But yes I realize it would be hard acquisition now, but I am saying get him in a month or two if Anderson fails (or at least try to get a guy like him). On a sidenote, I am a proponent of playing Anderson every single day. I think Ozzie has done a piss poor job handling McCarthy and Anderson this year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Give it time....they will need pitching. Not that we can offer it, but we could offer them the prospects to help get a starter in a 3 team deal. Wilkerson can lead off for them.

But yes I realize it would be hard acquisition now, but I am saying get him in a month or two if Anderson fails (or at least try to get a guy like him). On a sidenote, I am a proponent of playing Anderson every single day. I think Ozzie has done a piss poor job handling McCarthy and Anderson this year.

The Rangers actually right now have more pitching than you think. Eaton is throwing again, Koronko and Rheinecker look good, Millwood, Padilla, that's not a terrible staff when you have that offense.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
On a sidenote, I am a proponent of playing Anderson every single day. I think Ozzie has done a piss poor job handling McCarthy and Anderson this year.

The rest of your points I thought were garbage IMO, as every team isnt looking to help us out by trading their starting OF'ers. But I agree with this point. BA is a better hitter against RHP, so why the f*** are we only playing him against LHP?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
The rest of your points I thought were garbage IMO, as every team isnt looking to help us out by trading their starting OF'ers. But I agree with this point. BA is a better hitter against RHP, so why the f*** are we only playing him against LHP?

My theory is the Rangers are going to look to put themselves over the top. To do so they will need to acquire a legit front of the rotation starter (the guys they have won't cut it and the Angels may have actually gotten things figured out thanks to the emergence of some youngsters, plus they may get Colon back in a week; I say may because his velocity was down in his first rehab start).

To do so it would have to be a 3 team deal and I'm not saying we can get Sarge Jr, but he's an option. Patterso n is an option. Just cause a team is in 1st right now doesn't mean they will be at the trade deadline and the Rangers have a glut of hitters (and outfielders for that matter).

As far as Anderson goes, the whole situation is stupid. He should be playing everyday, he makes up for his lack of a bat with his defense (compared to Mack or Pods in CF). If we had an average CF on the club, I would say otherwise, but we don't. This team is built on pitching and defense and thus far the starting has had some problems with consistency and the pen has obviously been eh, but we've lost more games on bad defense than we have with our horrid pen.

Having this rotation of CF's is really effecting the chemistry with the other guys. When BA was out there consistently Dye was comfortable and even Pods was semi comfortable knowing that BA could cover big time ground. Now they have a few guys out there and the communication has regressed, plus when you have Mack next to Pods you have one of the worse LF/CF combo's in baseball (Dye is an above avg RF).

Mix that with Pablo ocassionally out there and there is no reason to be putting this blame on BA right now, in fact if we have him in a few more games we have a few more wins (cause there are a couple games that I know we win because BA makes some catches and we don't blow the game; think Cubs).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
BA is a better hitter against RHP, so why the f*** are we only playing him against LHP?

Because our manager is in love with matchups based on which hand someone was blessed with.

This the same reason that Boone Logan faced Hafner in the first series of the year.

The same reason that we put out the 3 dog lineup everytime a lefty approaches the rubber. Pretty much when a lefty comes to toe the rubber, you lose AJ and Pods right off the bat. and then we try to figure out why our offense struggles against lefties. You take good plate calling and a good hitter with Widger who is a great backup once a week or such. Ozuna is a spark plug in the game, but his glove costs games in the outfield. As bad as he was at 3rd base last year, this years adventures in the OF mask anything he did last year. Ozzie has replaced Timo with Ozuna on his depth chart of favorite guy off the bench. So guess what is going to happen when Anderson gets suspended. We will see Ozuna and his horrid defense go out into the field in center. Our starting pitching needs good defense. Not the grenade catching we are getitng out of the subs.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
Because our manager is in love with matchups based on which hand someone was blessed with.

This the same reason that Boone Logan faced Hafner in the first series of the year.

The same reason that we put out the 3 dog lineup everytime a lefty approaches the rubber. Pretty much when a lefty comes to toe the rubber, you lose AJ and Pods right off the bat. and then we try to figure out why our offense struggles against lefties. You take good plate calling and a good hitter with Widger who is a great backup once a week or such. Ozuna is a spark plug in the game, but his glove costs games in the outfield. As bad as he was at 3rd base last year, this years adventures in the OF mask anything he did last year. Ozzie has replaced Timo with Ozuna on his depth chart of favorite guy off the bench. So guess what is going to happen when Anderson gets suspended. We will see Ozuna and his horrid defense go out into the field in center. Our starting pitching needs good defense. Not the grenade catching we are getitng out of the subs.

Eggg-zactly. Since when is trotting out a lineup of all righties the way to face tough LHP? Its the worst idea.

Heres some nice data for ya. Ozzie, the righty lefty thing is Dusty Baker's obsession, which is why he sucks

Brian Anderson Career stats

Vs LHP 67 AB .119 avg .221 OBP .194 SLG .415 OPS 1HR 2RBI

Vs RHP 83 AB .205 avg .272 OBP .398 SLG .669 OPS 5 HR 13 RBI

What part of this means he should only face LHP?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
Eggg-zactly. Since when is trotting out a lineup of all righties the way to face tough LHP? Its the worst idea.

Heres some nice data for ya. Ozzie, the righty lefty thing is Dusty Baker's obsession, which is why he sucks

Brian Anderson Career stats

Vs LHP 67 AB .119 avg .221 OBP .194 SLG .415 OPS 1HR 2RBI

Vs RHP 83 AB .205 avg .272 OBP .398 SLG .669 OPS 5 HR 13 RBI

What part of this means he should only face LHP?

Also, why does he do it half-assed? He'll have BMAC face a lefty and get torched, even though Thornton is warmed up. Did the same thing when Politte gave up a base runner and Chavez was up next.

Apparently the edge our hitters have with his r/l matchups aren't going to translate as an edge to the opponent's hitters.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)

I'm probably the last person on this site who has credibility regarding this subject, but I don't think Ozzie's done a good job of managing this season. As Jas pointed out, he's completely butched McCarthy and Anderson this year, and it really seems as if this season has retarded McCarthy's growth. The use of Ozuna in LF is pathetic, and you really have to question Ozzie's handling of the starting/relief staff in terms of early or quick hook. It seems like Vazquez and Garcia have the longest hooks possible, while Garland has a quicker hook. I'm sure I'll probably be attacked for criticizing Ozzie, but everyone's always said that his best asset is being able to pump up his team. We've been flat for a while now, and the remarks in the press from certain players is disturbing (McCarthy, Buehrle, etc). There's a long way to go this season....hopefully no one panics.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
Also, why does he do it half-assed? He'll have BMAC face a lefty and get torched, even though Thornton is warmed up. Did the same thing when Politte gave up a base runner and Chavez was up next.

There's been some instances where Ozzie seemed more afraid about the hitter on deck, instead of the actual guy up to bat. A prime example was when he let Cotts face Barrett, with Jones on deck. Instead, if Ozzie had been more proactive, you bring in Jenks to face Barrett, and you hope that Jones leads off the next inning.

Guest JimH

I'm just wondering, when do the players get blamed for not executing?

One thing about Guillen, vs. other White Sox managers I've seen is he gives his players a chance to succeed.

If Anderson isn't in there, it probably means he's putting together poor at bats or maybe even his mechanics in batting practice are bad. Just speculating, but it wouldn't surprise me. He is totally out of sorts.

Uribe has ridden the bench slightly more lately, deservedly so. The difference is Uribe has shown a history of getting hot. Inconsistent, yes. But he has had hot streaks. Anderson is a rookie so he hasn't had the opportunity to show a hot streak. But he's definitely shown a cold streak.

Most of Anderson not playing has nothing to do with match ups for Anderson, it has to do with matchups for Mackowiak. Mackowiak is a more proven major league hitter, he's had a decent stretch at the plate recently, so Guillen is putting Anderson in when the match ups aren't favorable to Mackowiak.

Personally though I think Guillen needs to start working in Anderson 4 times a week at least. Meaning, start him at least 4 times a week. He can't do much worse at the plate, his defense will help, and Mackowiak should log some time at other positions too.

Why does Anderson get a free pass from so many people?

The man is hitting no better than a pitcher would with as many at bats.

It's probably because Mack is such a butcher in the outfield. But Oz obviously

got fed up with Anderson being an automatic out and has started

the dreaded platoon system.

We gave up Rowand to get something and I like what we got but our team

is hurting without Rowand right now.

How can Oz keep playing him when he's an automatic out?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
Why does Anderson get a free pass from so many people?

The man is hitting no better than a pitcher would with as many at bats.

It's probably because Mack is such a butcher in the outfield. But Oz obviously

got fed up with Anderson being an automatic out and has started

the dreaded platoon system.

We gave up Rowand to get something and I like what we got but our team

is hurting without Rowand right now.

How can Oz keep playing him when he's an automatic out?

Because there's still 7 (8 when Uribe is on the bench) players in the lineup who are hitting quite well and Anderson's superb defense outweighs his bad hitting in some people's mind and IMO rightfully so. It sure as hell doesn't help the pitching staff when you have a butcher out there in CF.

I agree sort of but why were people on Crede last year early when he wasn't

hitting. He is supurb on defense and saves runs.

Even though our order is great, at some point Anderson has to show signs

of being able to do something besides hit a ground ball to the pitcher or

pop up.

Because of Mack's lousy defense I would vote for playing Anderson every

day also, but I can see why Oz would be fed up with Anderson.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
I agree sort of but why were people on Crede last year early when he wasn't

hitting. He is supurb on defense and saves runs.

Even though our order is great, at some point Anderson has to show signs

of being able to do something besides hit a ground ball to the pitcher or

pop up.

Because of Mack's lousy defense I would vote for playing Anderson every

day also, but I can see why Oz would be fed up with Anderson.

People got on Crede because the Sox' offense was horrendous last year and his poor bat was just contributing to one of the worst O's in baseball. Where as this year the Sox have one of the best offenses in baseball which helps coverup BA's shortcommings at the plate. Also it doesn't hurt that BA walks on a semi-regular basis where as Crede really didn't walk much during his struggles early on.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
People got on Crede because the Sox' offense was horrendous last year and his poor bat was just contributing to one of the worst O's in baseball. Where as this year the Sox have one of the best offenses in baseball which helps coverup BA's shortcommings at the plate. Also it doesn't hurt that BA walks on a semi-regular basis where as Crede really didn't walk much during his struggles early on.

That, and defense is a little more important in CF than it is at 3B. I also think Anderson is better defensively in CF than Crede is at 3B too, which helps a lot with that too.

And also Crede was in what his 3rd season in the majors, while this is Anderson's 1st, so you would hav expected Crede to have to started hitting a bit better tha he did.

But luckily things worked out well on that regard.

• 2 weeks later...

Dustan Mohr got designated for assignment;

Red Sox designated outfielder Dustan Mohr for assignment.

Mohr was at .169/.368/.246 in 65 at-bats for Triple-A Pawtucket, so it's hard to imagine that anyone will want him on waivers. He might choose to remain at Pawtucket and hope that a hot streak gets another team interested in him. Jun. 16 - 6:04 pm et

Still interested in picking up an OF to replace Gload if you can tell. :D

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 09:39 PM)
Dustan Mohr got designated for assignment;

Still interested in picking up an OF to replace Gload if you can tell. :D

you can't replace gload with someone that cannot play 1B.... ozzie has repeatedly said thome will not see regular time at 1st... besides, ross is a good stick off the bench

QUOTE(toasty @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
you can't replace gload with someone that cannot play 1B.... ozzie has repeatedly said thome will not see regular time at 1st... besides, ross is a good stick off the bench

Rob Machowiak can play 1B, he's done it a couple of times in his career.

I don't think having a backup 1Bman is a huge deal when you've got Paulie who will pretty much play every game for you there.

And Gload only has 45 AB's this season and we're almost halfway thru the season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Rob Machowiak can play 1B, he's done it a couple of times in his career.

I don't think having a backup 1Bman is a huge deal when you've got Paulie who will pretty much play every game for you there.

And Gload only has 45 AB's this season and we're almost halfway thru the season.

If nothing else, it is still nice to be able to give PK time off on nights like tonight where it's a blowout by the 6th inning. Remember like 2 weeks ago where JT had a series off and Gload started 4 days in a row at 1st, giving Paulie extra rest? he's been tearing the cover off the ball since then.