Scary Indians... Even Scarier Tigers

Hanky Panky

I'm sure that this is apparent to everyone: The Cleveland Indians are very good this year. They seem to have so much more confidence than last year. Pronk is a beast, and Casey Blake is a pretty decent hitter too. Jason Johnson pitched well today... I mean it's Jason Johnson. He sucks, or so I thought. I am afraid that we will not be able to catch up to the Indians.

Now, something that worries me even more... not being able to catch up to the friggin' Tigers. Chris Shelton is a freaking beast. He's so bestial that he's even the HR leader right now. He just keeps getting extra-base hits too. What are we to do if we come in last place in the Central? How embarassing... we cannot even beat Kansas s***ty right now. I don't know what to do. I guess I'll just go shoot up some more heroin. I need some relief. Opening day was the s***, but since then life has been a downward spiral.

QUOTE(Hanky Panky @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 06:52 PM)
I'm sure that this is apparent to everyone: The Cleveland Indians are very good this year. They seem to have so much more confidence than last year. Pronk is a beast, and Casey Blake is a pretty decent hitter too. Jason Johnson pitched well today... I mean it's Jason Johnson. He sucks, or so I thought. I am afraid that we will not be able to catch up to the Indians.

Now, something that worries me even more... not being able to catch up to the friggin' Tigers. Chris Shelton is a freaking beast. He's so bestial that he's even the HR leader right now. He just keeps getting extra-base hits too. What are we to do if we come in last place in the Central? How embarassing... we cannot even beat Kansas s***ty right now. I don't know what to do. I guess I'll just go shoot up some more heroin. I need some relief. Opening day was the s***, but since then life has been a downward spiral.

Are you f'in kidding me??? I'll take Thome and Konerko over any one of those guys. And because a guy pitched well one game, now we have to worry about him? This crap is getting ridiculous, its been 5 games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't the Royals start 10-0 a few years back, don't we learn s*** from the past. Take it easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
'06 Tigers = '05 Orioles

Dont really care, doesnt take away form the kids ability to hit. He tripled in 2 runs after a error that would of ended the inning. Then tripled again in his next at bat.

QUOTE(rcm4833 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
I'm sorry but I would much rather have their lineup than ours. I'd rather have Hafner than Thome.

i dont like that as a first post...

*sigh* i hate white sox fans...

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
Yeah, no obvious truths allowed here.

Nice sentiment there.  Love you too, Reddy.

ok come on now. its just this overwhelming sence of pessimism is really getting annoying.

so it's ok to be pessimistic about the Sox, but when i'm annoyed at the pessimism that's not ok?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
ok come on now.  its just this overwhelming sence of pessimism is really getting annoying.

so it's ok to be pessimistic about the Sox, but when i'm annoyed at the pessimism that's not ok?

Pessimism? The Indians are one of the best-hitting teams in the majors. We're better than last year, but that's starting from a pretty low standard, and when you look at the hitting differences at some positions -- c, ss being the most obvious -- you're looking through some serious rose-colored glasses if you think saying they have a better lineup is just "pessimism".

I think most of the "overwhelming sence of pessimism" is being manufactured. 98% of the complaints are just based on the fact that many of us don't like losing. Sorry if you don't like hearing anything negative, but we have played like s*** at times and done some damn stupid things.

Look, I don't know what's on Chicago radio stations. Maybe people there are really going nuts. But as for this site, the "overwhelming sense of pessimism" is just being imagined.

look, i dont think the tigers are going to win the division but there is really critical distinction between them and the orioles. PITCHING!!!!! the tigers have 5 very decent starters. bonderman, maroth and robertson gave us lots of trouble last year, and while they arent contreras, vazquez and buerhle they also arent sidney ponson, bruce chen and rodrigo lopez. and i will bet anyone on this board 5 internet fake dollars that justin verlander is the ROY. he is brandon mccarthy times two. i watched the tigers rangers game on mlb.tv and verlander threw a 98 mph fastball and an 82 mph changeup on consecutive pitches.

QUOTE(rcm4833 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 07:35 PM)
I'm sorry but I would much rather have their lineup than ours. I'd rather have Hafner than Thome.

Way to pick up on the flavor of the week literally. Jim Thome is a beast period, hes had 15AB's and 7 (half of them) have been BB, also hes hitting .333, the man behind Thome has been just a hair late on his swing and that will come around/appears to becoming around in his last two games. Soon the Sox will be clicking on all 4 cylinders and i would'nt be supprised if the tigers/brewers slow down much like the perviously stated '05 orioles and nats.

Now im not saying Hafner is'nt good because he is but over his past two seasons he's avg just 30.5 HR and 72.5BB now granted his #'s have gone up every year and hes only 29 but lets compare that to thome's 03 and 04 seeing how he was hurt in 05. Jim Thome 44.5 HR and 107.5 BB and thome had more AB's, personally id rather have Jim Thome, once PK's swing comes around and stops GIDP well be golden. Book It!

QUOTE(beautox @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Way to pick up on the flavor of the week literally. Jim Thome is a beast period, hes had 15AB's and 7 (half of them) have been BB

This is alittle off topic: Has Thome even K'd yet? Didn't see the game today and I see Vazquez did well.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 09:26 PM)
This is alittle off topic: Has Thome even K'd yet? Didn't see the game today and I see Vazquez did well.

nope or at least thats what whitesox.com is saying i think i remember him SO once though, by the way Hafners at 2

QUOTE(Hanky Panky @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
Now, something that worries me even more... not being able to catch up to the friggin' Tigers. Chris Shelton is a freaking beast. He's so bestial that he's even the HR leader right now. He just keeps getting extra-base hits too. What are we to do if we come in last place in the Central? How embarassing... we cannot even beat Kansas s***ty right now.

Four words: Regression to the mean. Certainly the Tigers have some very good hitters, but they have been scoring many of their runs via the home run. Seventeen so far. I would be surprised if they don't become a feast or famine offensive club -- scoring in bunches when they hit the long ball but going into protracted slumps when they don't. Also, their pitching isn't going to be as good as it has been. They have decent pitching, but their starters will give up some runs.

The Indians are the real deal, but we already knew that. They are just a solid, young well-constructed club. It will be a dogfight all year between our clubs.