Playoffs?

This rotation f***ing sucks:

B. Sheets

D. Davis

T. Ohka

C. Capuano

D. Bush

R. Helling (Insurance)

Check out some Doug Davis splits from 2005. His WHIP ratio away from Milwaukee was 1.45, which is pretty much terrible.

Capuano's WHIP ratio away from Milwaukee was 1.43.

Ohka is just beyond brutal.

David Bush is their second best starter, and what does that tell you? Really, this staff belongs in Kansas City or Tampa Bay.

Don't tell me that they have a shot at making the playoffs, even if the National League is a suckfest.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
Playoffs?

B. Sheets

D. Davis

T. Ohka

C. Capuano

D. Bush

R. Helling (Insurance)

Check out some Doug Davis splits from 2005.  His WHIP ratio away from Milwaukee was 1.45, which is pretty much terrible. 

David Bush is their second best starter, and what does that tell you?  Really, this staff belongs in Kansas City or Tampa Bay.

Don't tell me that they have a shot at making the playoffs, even if the National League is a suckfest.

Capuano and davis always seem to be pretty consistent and in the past couple years they have had some solid games, davis is this teams second starter and Bush pitched well his first start, I dont see why they cant make the playoffs im just not sold on their team because its young.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
Playoffs?

B. Sheets

D. Davis

T. Ohka

C. Capuano

D. Bush

R. Helling (Insurance)

Check out some Doug Davis splits from 2005.  His WHIP ratio away from Milwaukee was 1.45, which is pretty much terrible. 

David Bush is their second best starter, and what does that tell you?  Really, this staff belongs in Kansas City or Tampa Bay.

I agree. Where have they significantly improved to catapult themselves into division leaders??

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
Playoffs?

B. Sheets

D. Davis

T. Ohka

C. Capuano

D. Bush

R. Helling (Insurance)

Picking apart WHIP is just one part of the pitcher's stats.

Davis had a 3.84 ERA in 2005 and 3.39 in 2004. Both seasons pitching over 200 innings. Regardless of how many hits and walks he gave up per inning, he still didnt give up that many runs, which is the focus of a pitcher. Not only that but eating 200 innings per year is a big plus as well. Last year his BAA was .235, thats pretty f***ing good IMO. Oh and so is 208 K's

Capuano is also a very good yong pitcher. You AGAIN point at his WHIP as being a gauge of how great he is. Well im sorry you find his WHIP unimpressive, but I find his sub 4 ERA pretty good IMO. He went 18-12 while pitching over 200 innings as well. His BAA was .256 which is pretty dam good as well. And to address your all important WHIP concerns, in two starts this year its sub 1.0 while his BAA is .178.

Sheets is an Ace, I wouldnt think I would have to go that deep into conversation about him, he just needs to stay healthy.

Bush is now starting his 3rd full season starting in the majors, obviously he has room to improve. His career ERA is at 4.07 which is not bad for someone who has only pitched 3 years. He also has a pretty decent WHIP last year at 1.25, this year at .57 in one start. He is a young guy on a young staff and has shown he can improve.

Ohka may be the weak link on a young starting staff, but his career numbers arent as bad as you make them out to be. You say he is beyond brutal? Well His career ERA is 3.95, which doesnt seem brutal to me. He has proven to have a higher WHIP, but has also shown in his 3 years of starting full time that he can throw around 200 innings with a fairly low ERA, even posting a 3.18 in 31 starts in 2002. Saying he is beyond brutal is taking it a little too far IMO.

Cherry picking WHIP stats to prove a pitcher's worth is pretty silly IMO. ERA is probably the best idicated of a pitcher's worth, and this staff looks to be not only improving, but decent to begin with. Each arm has the potential to throw at least 200 innings, with an ERA under 4.0. That alone could win the NL central this year.

Some numbers to compare

between 2002 and 2004 Buehrle posted an ERA of 3.58, 4.14, 3.89 with whips 1.24, 1.35, 1.26. His away WHIP in 2005 was 1.33 Garcia's home WHIP in 2005 was 1.37

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
Picking apart WHIP is just one part of the pitcher's stats.

Davis had a 3.84 ERA in 2005 and 3.39 in 2004.  Both seasons pitching over 200 innings.  Regardless of how many hits and walks he gave up per inning, he still didnt give up that many runs, which is the focus of a pitcher.  Not only that but eating 200 innings per year is a big plus as well. Last year his BAA was .235, thats pretty f***ing good IMO.  Oh and so is 208 K's

Capuano is also a very good yong pitcher.  You AGAIN point at his WHIP as being a gauge of how great he is.  Well im sorry you find his WHIP unimpressive, but I find his sub 4 ERA pretty good IMO.  He went 18-12 while pitching over 200 innings as well.  His BAA was .256 which is pretty dam good as well.  And to address your all important WHIP concerns, in two starts this year its sub 1.0 while his BAA is .178.

Sheets is an Ace, I wouldnt think I would have to go that deep into conversation about him, he just needs to stay healthy.

Bush is now starting his 3rd full season starting in the majors, obviously he has room to improve.  His career ERA is at 4.07 which is not bad for someone who has only pitched 3 years.  He also has a pretty decent WHIP last year at 1.25, this year at .57 in one start.  He is a young guy on a young staff and has shown he can improve.

Ohka may be the weak link on a young starting staff, but his career numbers arent as bad as you make them out to be.  You say he is beyond brutal?  Well His career ERA is 3.95, which doesnt seem brutal to me. He has proven to have a higher WHIP, but has also shown in his 3 years of starting full time that he can throw around 200 innings with a fairly low ERA, even posting a 3.18 in 31 starts in 2002.  Saying he is beyond brutal is taking it a little too far IMO.

Cherry picking WHIP stats to prove a pitcher's worth is pretty silly IMO.  ERA is probably the best idicated of a pitcher's worth, and this staff looks to be not only improving, but decent to begin with.  Each arm has the potential to throw at least 200 innings, with an ERA under 4.0.  That alone could win the NL central this year.

Some numbers to compare

between 2002 and 2004 Buehrle posted an ERA of 3.58, 4.14, 3.89 with whips 1.24, 1.35, 1.26.  His away WHIP in 2005 was 1.33  Garcia's home WHIP in 2005 was 1.37

ERA is a better indicator than WHIP of a pitcher's worth? You keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, anyone who knows their pitching on this site is laughing pretty f***ing hard at your post. Good God, man.

It looks like you spent a little bit too much time trying to defend a horses*** rotation. :lol:

Doug Davis, Chris Capuano, David Bush, and Toma Ohka make up 4/5 of an actual major league pitching staff. That is f***ing TERRIBLE.

And do you realize how much of a pitcher's haven Miller Field is? Why do you think I only brought up WHIP numbers on the road? The splits tell me the truth, but I dunno where your head is at.

Although neither is perfect, ERA is a better method of measurement than WHIP. Guys like Roy Oswalt, Carlos Zambrano, and Mark Buehrle have put up some pretty high WHIP numbers while still being highly effective pitchers. Davis and Capuano are two other pitchers that have done fairly well the last two years despite high WHIP numbers. Plus both are fairly young pitchers that are going to get better with a little more seasoning.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Hey Rock, I did some research for you. You know, because it is soooo silly that I only brought up WHIP numbers. :rolly

Chris Capuano 2005 Splits:

1.45 Road WHIP vs. 1.33 Home WHIP

.280 Road BAA v. .235 Home BAA

4.30 Road ERA vs. 3.70 Home ERA

Doug Davis 2005 Splits:

1.44 Road WHIP vs. 1.20 Home WHIP

.256 Road BAA vs. .218 Home BAA

4.50 Road ERA vs. 3.40 Home ERA

Toma Ohka's home numbers:

.290 BAA

1.45 WHIP

Learn about baseball stadiums. See which parks are pitchers havens. Miller Park would qualify. Check the effing stats FOR TEH LOVE OF GOD.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
Although neither is perfect, ERA is a better method of measurement than WHIP. Guys like Roy Oswalt, Carlos Zambrano, and Mark Buehrle have put up some pretty high WHIP numbers while still being highly effective pitchers. Davis and Capuano are two other pitchers that have done fairly well the last two years despite high WHIP numbers.

Zoom, all three were Top 15 in the majors last year:

Zambrano 1.15 WHIP

Buehrle 1.18 WHIP

Oswalt 1.20 WHIP

I must say that I'm stunned by your post. WHIP is so much better than ERA that it's not even funny.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
Zoom, all three were Top 15 in the majors last year:

Zambrano 1.15 WHIP

Buehrle 1.18 WHIP

Oswalt 1.20 WHIP

I must say that I'm stunned by your post.  WHIP is so much better than ERA that it's not even funny.

They've put up higher WHIP's than that in the past while still doing pretty well. If you've got the stuff and pitching ability to get out of it, how many baserunners you allow doesn't really matter.

By the way, according to ESPN Buehrle ranked #17 last year and Oswalt was #21. Not that it really makes much of a difference, just saying.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 06:12 PM)
They've put up higher WHIP's than that in the past while still doing pretty well. If you've got the stuff and pitching ability to get out of it, how many baserunners you allow doesn't really matter.

Yeah, but the guy who allows the fewest baserunners is the best. If you're walking too many guys, you're playing with fire, and it doesn't matter how good your stuf is...you're gonna get hammered at times. You can't be pinpoint with every single pitch, and even if you are, there are a lot of unbelievably talented hitters in this league that will get to you.

And if anyone learned anything from the Top 20 WHIP list I maintained last year, the best of the best show up on that list ALWAYS. Now, on a Top 20 ERA list, that is never the case. ERA is influenced WAY too much by the stadium that you pitch in.

I'll agree that a high WHIP is generally a bad thing, but for some guys it doesn't really matter that much. The three guys that I mentioned put a lot more guys on base than you would think based on their general pitching performance.

Capuano is a little erratic, but he's got good enough stuff to get out of it a good portion of the time. For a #3 starter that still has some room to develop, you could do worse. Davis also has a high WHIP, but his overall numbers have been fairly good the last two seasons. Granted they're not staff aces, but they're better than a lot of teams have.

If Sheets keeps getting hurt, then yes, their rotation is eventually going to kill them. But with those guys as your 2 and 3 in a division that doesn't have a lot of pitching depth, they can get by. Their rotation is definitely stronger than Cinci and Pitt no matter what happens, and with Sheets it's better than the current Cubs' rotation and arguably even the Astros (great top two, but the bottom 3 are pretty weak).

I don't think they can beat the Cardinals, but they can do better than the rest of the division.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
With what minimum of IP?  I'm going by 150.

I'm not sure, whatever ESPN uses. There are also several other fairly effective starters with WHIPS above 1.2, like Freddy, Vazquez, Sabathia, and Webb.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
Capuano is a little erratic, but he's got good enough stuff to get out of it a good portion of the time. For a #3 starter that still has some room to develop, you could do worse. Davis also has a high WHIP, but his overall numbers have been fairly good the last two seasons. Granted they're not staff aces, but they're better than a lot of teams have.

If Sheets keeps getting hurt, then yes, their rotation is eventually going to kill them. But with those guys as your 2 and 3 in a division that doesn't have a lot of pitching depth, they can get by. Their rotation is definitely stronger than Cinci and Pitt no matter what happens, and with Sheets it's better than the current Cubs' rotation and arguably even the Astros (great top two, but the bottom 3 are pretty weak).

I don't think they can beat the Cardinals, but they can do better than the rest of the division.

What do you think of those Home vs. Road stats that I posted? You don't think that both Capuano and Davis are products of Miller Park? I don't think that they have much talent at all, but I suppose that's just me.

Put them in Houston, and they're just as wack as the other guys in their 3-4-5. But they pitch in Milwaukee, and people (for whatever reason) don't realize that Miller Park is a pitching haven, so I dunno.