Scotty Pods????

Timoperezrulez

He is kind of starting to worry me, he looks lost at the plate right now, in order to win he has to get on base. Hawk and Dj kept mentioning how this is like is spring training, if that is so then why isent he in triple A or something? I really hope he gets on track soon.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
It's just the start of the season and he missed much of ST. He'll be fine in about two weeks, I'd say, at worst. I'm sure he'll be okay. Players slump sometimes, particularly at the start. ::shrug::

Another two weeks? That's about 50 at-bats. If we had to give Pods nearly 75 ABs to get back into game shape, then we really screwed the pooch by not having him start the season on the DL.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
Scotty needs to sit some game or be moved down because hes jus not producing, perhaps his injury is worse than thought.

There's no point in moving Podsednik out of the leadoff spot just to put him lower in the order, if you're going to do that you might as well just put him on the DL or send him down to Charlotte for a while. Podsednik is useless anywhere but the leadoff spot (and he's even useless there at times).

QUOTE(Timoperezrulez @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
He is kind of starting to worry me, he looks lost at the plate right now, in order to win he has to get on base. Hawk and Dj kept mentioning how this is like is spring training, if that is so then why isent he in triple A or something? I really hope he gets on track soon.

You need to remember he had a short swing. However, despite going hitless today he was able to hit the ball on the ground 4 times (just one flyout) and I think he's getting a bit closer (swing wise).

However, right now he's also pressing and because of that he's swinging at pitches he usually would take. Right now I'm not near as concerned as most because over the long haul good teams win and we are a GOOD team.

No guarantee we make the playoffs but I'd be shocked if we aren't in the thick of things come August and September.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
Another two weeks?  That's about 50 at-bats.  If we had to give Pods nearly 75 ABs to get back into game shape, then we really screwed the pooch by not having him start the season on the DL.

I said that was a worst case scenario.

But I think DLing him would be bad. His problem is, I think, that he hasn't had enough time to practice his timing. Real-world practice is what he needs, methinks. I think he'll be okay and sooner than my worst case scenario.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
I said that was a worst case scenario.

But I think DLing him would be bad. His problem is, I think, that he hasn't had enough time to practice his timing. Real-world practice is what he needs, methinks. I think he'll be okay and sooner than my worst case scenario.

That's exactly why you would DL him. Put him on a rehab stint, and let him get his timing down without hurting the major league team.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
That's exactly why you would DL him.  Put him on a rehab stint, and let him get his timing down without hurting the major league team.

If DL him then he will lose more at bats then he would gain, unless you mean allow him to get more games and at bats down in Charlotte, but if that's the case why even put him on the DL isntead of just bringing him down?

If you DL a guy, he sits for 15 days and then he can go out on rehab. If he wasn't healthy enough to play, Guillen wouldn't be playing him because Herm Schneider would advise against it.

I doubt they can just send him down as some here have suggested. He was in the minors for a long time so I doubt he's got options left.

Either way, they will let him work thru it because he's an important part of the team.

QUOTE(Timoperezrulez @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)

They won't send him to Triple A unless it's a DL-related rehab stint. I wouldn't favor taking Pods out of the lineup simply because I like his defense in LF. Ozuna is a liability in the outfield. Mackowiak plays a decent RF, but I'm not sure how he is in left.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
What would be the point of sitting Podsednik? He cant hit the ball now, why would we sit him? How would it help?

Pods missed alot of time during ST, and he needs to work himself out of this slump by getting his hacks at the plate. Lets just hope it doesnt take much longer....

My point exactly.

DJ mentioned today that Pods didn't look 100% running. At least he's starting to hit the ball on the ground instead of the lazy flyballs he was hitting earlier. I've never been a big fan of his, but he does have one of the biggest home runs in White Sox history, so I can't hate him as a player. As the guy at Rotoworld said, if Pods legs aren't 100% he is a below average player. He's 1-22, I'm sure the plan is to let him try and work it out by playing. If this goes on another 4 or 5 games, the plan may be to work it out with extra BP and cage work, while riding pine during games. You can't have automatic outs at the top of the order.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 12:53 AM)
Surprised he hasn't tried to get a bunt hit.  Didn't see yesterday's game but today he only squared around 1 time in 5 ABs.

His bunting has been off for a long time. The only bunt he's got into fair territory was a pop up right to the 3rd baseman yesterday.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)
DJ mentioned today that Pods didn't look 100% running. At least he's starting to hit the ball on the ground instead of the lazy flyballs he was hitting earlier. I've never been a big fan of his, but he does have one of the biggest home runs in White Sox history, so I can't hate him as a player. As the guy at Rotoworld said, if Pods legs aren't 100% he is a below average player. He's 1-22, I'm sure the plan is to let him try and work it out by playing. If this goes on another 4 or 5 games, the plan may be to work it out with extra BP and cage work, while riding pine during games. You can't have automatic outs at the top of the order.

I agree. Also he realyy isn't using his legs and striding into the ball. This is because of the left adductor problem and probably why he has ben hitting pop ups.

It sucks that he isn't 100 percent. With Anderson off to a slow start offensively, we need Scottie to hit some. I hope Anderson starts hitting before Oz starts benching him for Ozuna or Mack, who aren't top notch everyday ballplayers.