Thome vs Big Frank

HuskyCaucasian

Everett and Frank should've made note of the way that Rowand and Ventura left the White Sox. Whatever beef they had with JR, Kenny, or Scheuler, those guys realized that keeping their egos in check and exiting with class was incredibly important to the fans.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
Everett and Frank should've made note of the way that Rowand and Ventura left the White Sox.  Whatever beef they had with JR, Kenny, or Scheuler, those guys realized that keeping their egos in check and exiting with class was incredibly important to the fans.

And yet, when Oakland visits the Sox on May 22nd, I'll bet that 90% of the stadium will be giving Thomas a standing ovation. IIRC, Ozzie Guillen didn't exactly leave the organization on great terms, yet ask the casual fan right now if he remembers that?

I really hope this doesn't turn into a Thome vs. Thomas thing. Williams made the correct choice, as Thomas chance of staying healthy the rest of his career doesn't seem very good, and Thome looks to be recovering very nicely from last years injuries. But that's about it. Thomas will always have his place in Sox history, and Thome will be paving his.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
And yet, when Oakland visits the Sox on May 22nd, I'll bet that 90% of the stadium will be giving Thomas a standing ovation.  IIRC, Ozzie Guillen didn't exactly leave the organization on great terms, yet ask the casual fan right now if he remembers that? 

Of course, Ozzie brought us a championship and Frank didn't. Big difference. Ozzie also didn't get into a childish war of words through the media with Ron Schueler after he left. Nor did he throw several fits about his contract through the media during the last six years of his tenure.

If I had a chance of being in the stands on May 22nd, I'd be giving Frank a standing ovation as well. However, you can't deny that the way he exited the organization pissed off a lot of the fans. Frank could've been our version of Stan Musial or Ted Williams. Instead, he chose to be our version of Sammy Sosa. :headshake

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
Of course, Ozzie brought us a championship and Frank didn't.  Big difference.  Ozzie also didn't get into a childish war of words through the media with Ron Schueler after he left.  Nor did he throw several fits about his contract through the media during the last six years of his tenure.

Well, no, I think Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Neal Cotts, Paul Konerko, etc etc brought us a championship -- and Frank was apart of that. Our offense was clearly better with Frank in the lineup than without him.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
If I had a chance of being in the stands on May 22nd, I'd be giving Frank a standing ovation as well.  However, you can't deny that the way he exited the organization pissed off a lot of the fans.  Frank could've been our version of Stan Musial or Ted Williams.  Instead, he chose to be our version of Sammy Sosa.  :headshake

Meh, I guess it's how you view it. I don't view Frank nearly as much of a negative as you do. His teammates (not to my knowledge) never really sounded off on Frank as often as they did on Sosa.

And, come on man, Sammy Sosa? One will go down as one of the better right-handed hitters of all-time, the other as a product of steroids who has pretty much dissappeared as of now.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)
With the shape Thome is in, if he stays healthy I could seriously see him winning an MVP.  He is freaking amazing.  I like watching him hit more than anyone in baseball.  I really hope he stays healthy.

I am happy we have Thome also. He is hungry to show that he belongs with the Sox and he wants to win as bad as the Big Hurt did. I wish Frank the best and I lied him on our team, but I wonder about the health and his durability. Thome has shown he is ready to return to big bopper status.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 05:35 PM)
And yet, when Oakland visits the Sox on May 22nd, I'll bet that 90% of the stadium will be giving Thomas a standing ovation.  IIRC, Ozzie Guillen didn't exactly leave the organization on great terms, yet ask the casual fan right now if he remembers that? 

I really hope this doesn't turn into a Thome vs. Thomas thing.  Williams made the correct choice, as Thomas chance of staying healthy the rest of his career doesn't seem very good, and Thome looks to be recovering very nicely from last years injuries.  But that's about it.  Thomas will always have his place in Sox history, and Thome will be paving his.

You're probably right, but there will be a smattering of boos as well , I believe, that wouldn't have been there if he didn't pop off. Also Ozzie returned 7 years after he ripped the organization, and many of the fans weren't too enamored with the front office when he left. There's a lovefest with JR right now. He was signing autographs like a player on opening night. KW can do no wrong in most Sox fans eyes. Ripping them isn't going to fly right now. If Frank came back 6 or 7 years from now, his idiotic comments would most likely be forgotten. I still think he is on the disabled list by May 22.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
Well, no, I think Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Neal Cotts, Paul Konerko, etc etc brought us a championship -- and Frank was apart of that.  Our offense was clearly better with Frank in the lineup than without him.

Yeah, and Frank played for what - a month? He contributed, but a lot less than the guys you named.

Meh, I guess it's how you view it.  I don't view Frank nearly as much of a negative as you do.  His teammates (not to my knowledge) never really sounded off on Frank as often as they did on Sosa.

Paulie called him out a few years ago for showing up late and not being a leader. And he got into a well-documented piss fight with Manuel back in ST of 2000. Frank wasn't as big a douchebag as Sosa, but few players are.

It's not that I view Frank as a negative, but I just grew tired of his bulls*** over the past five years. It became rather obvious to me that he has an ego the size of Montana and wasn't the best teammate in the world. That said, he's the greatest hitter in franchise history, was great to the fans when he was here, and I still respect him overall.

And, come on man, Sammy Sosa?  One will go down as one of the better right-handed hitters of all-time, the other as a product of steroids who has pretty much dissappeared as of now.

Agreed that the comparison might not be fair overall, but the manner in which they left their respective teams is comparable. If Frank hadn't started a war-of-words with KW and attended the ring ceremony (like Rowand), a lot of people would've thought more highly of him.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
Yeah, and Frank played for what - a month?  He contributed, but a lot less than the guys you named.

Paulie called him out a few years ago for showing up late and not being a leader.  And he got into a well-documented piss fight with Manuel back in ST of 2000.  Frank wasn't as big a douchebag as Sosa, but few players are.

It's not that I view Frank as a negative, but I just grew tired of his bulls*** over the past five years.  It became rather obvious to me that he has an ego the size of Montana and wasn't the best teammate in the world.  That said, he's the greatest hitter in franchise history, was great to the fans when he was here, and I still respect him overall.

Agreed that the comparison might not be fair overall, but the manner in which they left their respective teams is comparable.  If Frank hadn't started a war-of-words with KW and attended the ring ceremony (like Rowand), a lot of people would've thought more highly of him.

I agree with your point, but I thought Frank didn't get invited to the Ceremony? I don't think, that said, that he'd have showed (remember his b****ing about how he'd have never done the things he did in the playoffs if he had known he'd be let go?) but I thought he didn't get an invite anyway to piss on?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
I agree with your point, but I thought Frank didn't get invited to the Ceremony? I don't think, that said, that he'd have showed (remember his b****ing about how he'd have never done the things he did in the playoffs if he had known he'd be let go?) but I thought he didn't get an invite anyway to piss on?

Um..The A's had a game that night.

And he said the following:

Frank Thomas would like to be in Chicago tonight to receive his World Series ring, but he knows that's impossible. He's with a new team, and it's a new beginning for the Big Hurt.

``I'm here. There is disappointment,'' the A's designated hitter said. ``I was there for so long, just watching the club go through a lot of ups and downs and finally getting that ring. That's one ceremony I definitely wanted to be at, but, hey, I'm not there. It's impossible for me to be there. Hopefully I'll get it in the mail.''

The White Sox have not announced how they will distribute rings to players no longer with the team.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
My mistake.  That said, do you honestly think that he would've come back and shook hands with Kenny?

I don't think they'd involve Kenny, and I wouldn't be surprised for the Sox to hold a little ceremony before the first game of the Sox-Oakland series in May, where he'd get his ring, etc.

I don't know...I've been somewhat disappointed with Thome's inability to be diverse and flexible. I mean he's a great team player and everything, but the fact that he's failed to hit any f***ing bombs shorter than 400ft is kinda showing up his teamates. I'd like him to toss in a couple 350ft shots here and there, atleast try to appear human.

Outside of Sheffield, I can't think of a guy with a faster, more powerful swing than Big Jim. No doubt guys like Pujols, Cabrera, hell, even Paulie have better mechanics to their swing and look more graceful, but based on a pure POWER swing, f***in' Thome, man.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
I don't know...I've been somewhat disappointed with Thome's inability to be diverse and flexible.  I mean he's a great team player and everything, but the fact that he's failed to hit any f***ing bombs shorter than 400ft is kinda showing up his teamates.  I'd like him to toss in a couple 350ft shots here and there, atleast try to appear human.

Outside of Sheffield, I can't think of a guy with a faster, more powerful swing than Big Jim.  No doubt guys like Pujols, Cabrera, hell, even Paulie have better mechanics to their swing and look more graceful, but based on a pure POWER swing, f***in' Thome, man.

Ummm.

Thome + 400+foot homers = a happy Clubhouse, I'm sure.

I like Frank. I would never boo him.

I think the fans should give him a standing O.

No need to hurt Frank. Deep down he has to be hurt by the fact the Sox won a World

Series without him. Ditto Maggs. Ditto Valentin. Sox won without all those guys.

Thome (Through the 3rd inning of Today's game)

Games: 7

AB: 20

Hits: 7

BB: 8

HR: 4

RBI: 7

AVG: .350

Big Hurt

Games: 6

AB: 22

Hits: 2

BB: 3

HR: 1

RBI: 4

AVG: .091

Early Returns: i think we made the right choice.

It is reallly hard to say who will actually have better numbers. I know Frank Thomas and his injury is causing him to loose the election. But last season Frank was still injured playing in the season and was still hitting the ball.

Thome (Through the 3rd inning of Today's game)

Games: 7

AB: 20

Hits: 7

BB: 8

HR: 4

RBI: 7

AVG: .350

Big Hurt

Games: 6

AB: 22

Hits: 2

BB: 3

HR: 1

RBI: 4

AVG: .091

Early Returns: i think we made the right choice.

It is reallly hard to say who will actually have better numbers. I know Frank Thomas and his injury is causing him to loose the election. But last season Frank was still injured playing in the season and was still hitting the ball.

S'not hitting very well now though...

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
Of course, Ozzie brought us a championship and Frank didn't.  Big difference.  Ozzie also didn't get into a childish war of words through the media with Ron Schueler after he left.  Nor did he throw several fits about his contract through the media during the last six years of his tenure.

The players on the field won the games. Not Ozzie. Even he isn't so stupid as to not give them the credit they deserve. And you might want to do a little brushing up on the History of Oz... He had plenty of spats with management, and memorable hissy fits with fans.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
The players on the field won the games. Not Ozzie. Even he isn't so stupid as to not give them the credit they deserve. And you might want to do a little brushing up on the History of Oz... He had plenty of spats with management, and memorable hissy fits with fans.

Yeah. Even his Manager Interview began with him telling Kenny to go to hell if he didn't want him.

I love this team. :)