Ortiz signs

G&T

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 05:58 AM)
I am surprised that it was only 4 years, which is a good move on Boston's part.    He has been aided by playing at Fenway and his pre-Boston compared to his current numbers reflect that.

His splits from 2003-2005:

Home: 841 AB, .321/.408/.606/1.014 54 HR, 200 RBI

Road: 790 AB, .271/.357/.594/.951 68 HR, 188 RBI

So yea, he's been helped, but he's still a hell of a player on the road. His pre-Boston numbers were because he was likely undeveloped.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 04:58 AM)
I am surprised that it was only 4 years, which is a good move on Boston's part.    He has been aided by playing at Fenway and his pre-Boston compared to his current numbers reflect that.

It is said that lefties are helped out tremendously by the big green monster if they can hit opposite field with regularity. I know that Ortiz gets those "cheap" hits, but I swear that he hits balls out and to the deepest part of the park more often than not. I wouldnt say that the field helps Ortiz out as much as the fans and the excitement helps him out.

When he was with the Twins they used to make him go opposite field and play their style of ball. But that's not the type of guy he is, and when he left he blossomed. I remember Hawk talking about this a few times.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)

No, he's just a monster.

How are you sleeping on both Derrek Lee and David Ortiz? In the here and now, these guys are absolute beasts. MVP caliber players.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 02:52 AM)
His splits from 2003-2005:

Home: 841 AB, .321/.408/.606/1.014 54 HR, 200 RBI

Road: 790 AB, .271/.357/.594/.951 68 HR, 188 RBI

So yea, he's been helped, but he's still a hell of a player on the road.  His pre-Boston numbers were because he was likely undeveloped.

Mainly it had to deal with him being injury prone. The people in Minny loved him at the plate and while I don't think they ever saw him becoming the guy he has, he was let go for financial purposes as well as the fact he couldn't stay healthy in Minneapolis.

They always loved him as a hitter and I think they could have seen him putting up pretty good numbers had he stayed healthy (probably not this good though).