Dmitri last year

southsideirish71

Jeremy Bonderman, Monday's starting pitcher and the loser, wasn't down about Monday's outcome. In fact, he just stopped short of saying the Tigers actually were better than the White Sox.

"I think we have as good of a team, if not better," he said. "They played a great game, and I made two bad pitches."

You dont have the pitching to be as good if not better.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 02:58 AM)
You dont have the pitching to be as good if not better.

I wouldnt say that.... Bonderman and Verlander are both absolute filthy. Rogers has shown he can still pitch and being out of the Texas heat should only help. Maroth is a decent pitcher good guy for back of the rotation. Robertson sucks but besides that yeah.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 10:02 PM)
I wouldnt say that.... Bonderman and Verlander are both absolute filthy.  Rogers has shown he can still pitch and being out of the Texas heat should only help.  Maroth is a decent pitcher good guy for back of the rotation.  Robertson sucks but besides that yeah.

Their rotation is a lot weaker than the other competitors. Bonderman is the only guy that I'd call well above average right now (Rogers is okay, but does all his damage before the All-star break), and he posted an ERA of 4.57 last year. Verlander is going to have some good starts, but he'll have some bad ones too. He'll probably need a couple of years of polish to be a real threat.

Awesome, let them have a false sense of confidence. It'll be that much sweeter when we sweep them out of town in their opening home series! This team is a joke if they think they will go every 6 games hitting 15+ homeruns. Not going to happen, especially with all the loaded pitching staffs in the Al Central (Minnesota, Cleveland, Chicago..). Let 'em dream.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
Meh, I don't expect him to say that his team can't match up against ours, but I wouldn't go as far as saying their better if I were him. They have better hitting and we have better pitching. We'll take a look at this when it is all said and done.

Do they really have better hitting though? Sure, they owned everyone in week 1, but I think Thome is REALLY going to help this team out on the offensive side. If Scotty Pods can just get one base once every blue moon (I'm still not concerned, only because he missed so much of Spring Training), then I think we will see Thome's and Paulie's numbers skyrocket.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
Do they really have better hitting though? Sure, they owned everyone in week 1, but I think Thome is REALLY going to help this team out on the offensive side. If Scotty Pods can just get one base once every blue moon (I'm still not concerned, only because he missed so much of Spring Training), then I think we will see Thome's and Paulie's numbers skyrocket.

Thome and PK are great, but everyone knows Thome strikes out a lot and PK can go through some rough stretches, I mean rough. Pods hasn't been able to stay healthy and Uribe and Crede go through some bad slumps too.

Shelton, Maggs and Irod can mash not to mention the decent bats of Inge, Monroe, and Guillen. They have a pretty solid core and with the way the white sox have been so far this year and last year struggling to score runs I would give the edge to them. Things can change though.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
Shelton, Maggs and Irod can mash not to mention the decent bats of Inge, Monroe, and Guillen. They have a pretty solid core and with the way the white sox have been so far this year and last year struggling to score runs I would give the edge to them. Things can change though.

I'd be very surprised if at least two of those guys you mentioned don't end up on the DL at some point.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
I wouldnt say that.... Bonderman and Verlander are both absolute filthy.  Rogers has shown he can still pitch and being out of the Texas heat should only help.  Maroth is a decent pitcher good guy for back of the rotation.  Robertson sucks but besides that yeah.

Bonderman and Verlander each have great arms, that means nothing at this point. Bonderman killed us but he was very, very average last year as a whole cause he got rocked in the 2nd half of the year. While I think Verlander is going to be a star eventually it's not going to be this year. Rogers is solid but I don't know what to expect out of him as he seemed to wear down last year and also got his ass kicked down the stretch. Maroth is also ok at best maybe a little below average. Robertson is just bad. Their rotation overall is not good at all. I dont even know what to make of their bullpen as they have good arms in there but they also have senior citizens who are currently injured. Overall their pitching is very meh and while I love their lineup as individuals I am not sold on them as a unit. This Tigers team will soon be where they always are...4th place.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
What, would you expect him to say they suck?  Of course a player is going to say that his team is better.  This is really no big deal.

Exactly or else they mighten else bother. It's not as bad as what Young said last year anyways.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 05:57 AM)
Exactly or else they mighten else bother. It's not as bad as what Young said last year anyways.

I dont think either statement is really bad, and I think they both are pretty close to the same thing. Didnt a few indians take some "We are better than them" shots last year too?

It dont mean a thing without that ring. No worries here.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
I dont think either statement is really bad, and I think they both are pretty close to the same thing.  Didnt a few indians take some "We are better than them" shots last year too? 

It dont mean a thing without that ring.   No worries here.

Absolutely, the game's won on the field not through trash talk in the media.

But we've become the hunted, and the teams below us are going to try and hunt us down, if they think they can as Bonderman obviously thinks so, then good for them.

But last season's comments by Young that it was a 2 team race back in April last year, well that was just plain idiotic, and he got rightfully flamed for it. You've got 4 teams who could potentially win this division (most likely 2, perhaps 3), and anybody can come from anywhere as we showed last season.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
Thome and PK are great, but everyone knows Thome strikes out a lot and PK can go through some rough stretches, I mean rough. Pods hasn't been able to stay healthy and Uribe and Crede go through some bad slumps too. 

Thome is going to have a higher OBP than anyone on Detroit, and Paulie will have more Hr's and probably RBI's.

How many players do they have with consecutive 40-100 seasons?