Mound Charging, Bonds, Thome, Fights

Gregory Pratt

My friend Christopher and I were talking the other day, after Pedro Martinez had a player (Guillen?) charge the mound at him pointing a bat, and I said, "Man, could you imagine having Barry Bonds or Jim Thome swing a bat at you?"

"Yeah," he said. "You'd get killed by Thome and decapatated by Bonds." I asked him if he's ever seen someone bean Bonds, since he's an NL-loving Cub, and he said no. "Good move by the pitchers, considering that they might be victim to his Roid Rage if they did."

I don't think Thome's enough of a hothead to ever charge the mound. I'm pretty sure Bonds is. Does anyone know if Bonds/Thome have been beaned in recent years/did either of them charge the mound as a result? And if the answer is no, which I'm pretty sure it is in both cases, at what odds do you put it that Bonds or Thome might charge the mound if beaned?

I'd put the odds at zero percent for Thome. I'm not sure about Bonds. I know he must be pissed by the way the NL is pitching to him so far this year, and he's got a lot on his mind, plus he seems inclined toward violence by things such as the alleged (and I believe true) abuse of his ex-girlfriend. I'd put him at fifty percent.

A part of me wishes Bonds would charge the mound at someone. Or that a pitcher might take that risk and bean him.

What do you think?

BTW, I'm 99 pct certain that Thome charged the mound against Rheal Cormier a while back. The funny thing is that Thome and Cormier are real close friends. Thome said he charged the mound for the sake of the team. To show how classy of a guy he is, Thome and Cormier hung out after the game.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
BTW, I'm 99 pct certain that Thome charged the mound against Rheal Cormier a while back.  The funny thing is that Thome and Cormier are real close friends.  Thome said he charged the mound for the sake of the team.  To show how classy of a guy he is, Thome and Cormier hung out after the game.

Yeah, I just found a nifty interview with Thome: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._62/ai_99237356

------------

Does anyone know of anytime Bonds charged, post-1998?

That is a pretty funny article.

Q. What were you thinking on your way out to tangle with Cormier?

A. Get him in a headlock, get him on the ground and just lay on him. I wasn't thinking about punching him. I just wanted to lay on him and tell him, "Stay here, don't move and nobody gets hurt." He did what he had to do, and I did what I had to do.

Indians strength guru Fernando Montes proclaims you "three-gorilla strong."

Q. Do you have a mean streak?

A. When I step in the box. You wouldn't like me when I step in the box. It's you against the pitcher, and you've got this burning desire to do well. It's like you're in a tunnel, closed off from everybody else.

Q. Has your mind ever wandered in the box?

A. Not once. I've given away at-bats--we all have--but it's not because my concentration was lacking.

Q. If you were told you could get away with using a corked bat to hit a game-winning homer in the World Series, would you do it?

A. No. I want the ring badly, but I wouldn't cheat to get it.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
FWIW, Ventura charged the mound after Nolan Ryan plunked him and I wouldn't consider Robin a "hothead" at all.

I didn't say that every person who charges the mound is a hothead. I don't consider Ventura a hothead at all either.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
Thome got plunked the other day and gave whoever was on the mound 'the look'.

Hahaha!

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Yeah. In 2003, he tried to charge the mound against Mark Prior. He was restrained, but I don't think he was charging all-out.

I...don't know who I'd root for in that situation...

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
He didn't go all-out. He took a few steps, gave an angry look, and pointed the bat at Prior, but the Cubs catcher and the umpire got in front of Bonds and restrained him

By any chance, d'you recall where Prior plunked him?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
By any chance, d'you recall where Prior plunked him?

I think it was due to the Cubs throwing him well inside during the entire series vs the Giants. I think there was also some bad blood because Bonds thought Dusty had told his pitchers to go after him "inside".

I would love to see someone like Guillen, whom Pedro has plunked several times, turn to the catcher in his first at bat and say something like "You go tell Pedro right now that if I get hit at all, I turn around and hit you up side your knees with this bat. No charging the mound, i take it out on you, before the rest of the team can come out and get between us." You think the catcher would be calling all outside stuff for him to throw the rest of the game? Hitting batters is almost a part of the game. When batters wear armor and hang their elbows over the plate, I would be aiming for that every time. but some pitchers get so arrogant, like Pedro, that is is over the top. I would almost give even money that Padro gets plunked himself in the next game with the nats, fines and suspensions be damned.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 07:10 AM)
I would love to see someone like Guillen, whom Pedro has plunked several times, turn to the catcher in his first at bat and say something like "You go tell Pedro right now that if I get hit at all, I turn around and hit you up side your knees with this bat.  No charging the mound, i take it out on you, before the rest of the team can come out and get between us."  You think the catcher would be calling all outside stuff for him to throw the rest of the game?  Hitting batters is almost a part of the game.  When batters wear armor and hang their elbows over the plate, I would be aiming for that every time.  but some pitchers get so arrogant, like Pedro, that is is over the top.  I would almost give even money that Padro gets plunked himself in the next game with the nats, fines and suspensions be damned.

If I were catching, I'd take that risk and say, "I'll take the risk that you whack me because I don't think you're willing to risk the massive suspension for assaulting someone with a bat."

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 07:10 AM)
I would love to see someone like Guillen, whom Pedro has plunked several times, turn to the catcher in his first at bat and say something like "You go tell Pedro right now that if I get hit at all, I turn around and hit you up side your knees with this bat.  No charging the mound, i take it out on you, before the rest of the team can come out and get between us."  You think the catcher would be calling all outside stuff for him to throw the rest of the game?  Hitting batters is almost a part of the game.  When batters wear armor and hang their elbows over the plate, I would be aiming for that every time.  but some pitchers get so arrogant, like Pedro, that is is over the top.  I would almost give even money that Padro gets plunked himself in the next game with the nats, fines and suspensions be damned.

A good story...

Sawks-Yanks, way back in the day. Yanks knock down a couple of guys and up strolls Jimmy Piersall. Piersall tells Yogi, "You bastards knock me down, I hit you in the head with this bat. And I'm the guy who can plead temoprary insanity and get away with it."

Yogi thinks about it for a while and replies, "You know, Jim, I don't think we've hit a .220 hitter all year."

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 08:10 AM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmFyW0g-wRM...baseball%20kick

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
If I were catching, I'd take that risk and say, "I'll take the risk that you whack me because I don't think you're willing to risk the massive suspension for assaulting someone with a bat."

Sure, sitting in front of your computer, with nothing on the line, you could say that. But if you were actually behind the plate, in the heat of the game, and beanballs had been flying all day, and some pissed as hell batter who has already been hit comes to bat and says that, you would probably think twice. One good hit ends your carreer, and one fast bankrupcy ends any money you might get as a result of it.