Battle of the Soxes

PUME04

In the past I've googled "sox" and the white sox website has always come up third behind the Red Sox and some sound processing website. Today, for the first time, the White Sox' website was number 1. Useless information and I'm sure rankings on google fluctuate frequently, but I thought it was cool.

:gosoxretro:

In the past I've googled "sox" and the white sox website has always come up third behind the Red Sox and some sound processing website.  Today, for the first time, the White Sox' website was number 1.  Useless information and I'm sure rankings on google fluctuate frequently, but I thought it was cool.

:gosoxretro:

Do you google that once every day or what?

QUOTE(Timoperezrulez @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Do you google that once every day or what?

I don't have the website bookmarked at work, so whenever I want to go to the website I just type in Sox in my google toolbar and click on the link, so yeah almost every day.

:D

Actually - there is something to that. I am in internet marketing and so I have some experience with this. In order for your site to come up in the top of a search on google ( if there are many other sites that could possibly come up before yours does ) you would need to have your site "optimized".

There is a considerable investment involved and that would lead me to believe that there was a concious decision by the white sox to have thier site "optimized" for google searches in order to have it come up first.

My company's site was done this way and it took considerable time and investment in order to make it happen.

BTW - Ive been at WSI for years but enjoy the commentary here. Go Sox!

Edited by milrtyme28

QUOTE(milrtyme28 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
Actually - there is something to that.  I am in internet marketing and so I have some experience with this.  In order for your site to come up in the top of a search on google ( if there are many other sites that could possibly come up before yours does ) you would need to have your site "optimized". 

There is a considerable investment involved and that would lead me to believe that there was a concious decision by the white sox to have thier site "optimized" for google searches in order to have it come up first. 

My company's site was done this way and it took considerable time and investment in order to make it happen.

BTW - Ive been at WSI for years but enjoy the commentary here.  Go Sox!

Welcome to Soxtalk. :cheers

QUOTE(milrtyme28 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 01:40 AM)
Actually - there is something to that.  I am in internet marketing and so I have some experience with this.  In order for your site to come up in the top of a search on google ( if there are many other sites that could possibly come up before yours does ) you would need to have your site "optimized". 

BTW - Ive been at WSI for years but enjoy the commentary here.  Go Sox!

Welcome into Soxtalk, and thanks for the info.

One question... What does it take to "optimize"? Is it money, or clicks, or what?

It's more complex than that however. Google uses a secret algorithm to determine their page rankings, but one of the most important things is the number of page links to your site, obviously a good measure of popularity and relevence. In fact, this has been used successfuly to "gimmick" the ratings--where a campaign is started to link the name "George Bush" (for example) to a negative site, and then that site pops up high in the results. To counter this, Google continues to tweak their methods monthly.

When you say optimize, I assume you are referring to things like this:

# Page Title

Link text

PageRank

Heading Tags

ALT Tags

Domain names

Filenames

Directory names

Link popularity

Keyword density

Those things all factor in, and "optimization" could certainly help a page improve their search ranking --even it's "pagerank" (incoming links) isn't that high. However, Google's exact weights remain a mystery, so to say for sure that any of those (or even all of them combined) will necessarily lead to success is probably misleading IMO, although certainly it doesn't hurt to make sure you're designing the page to suit what is known about Googles methodology.