I might be crazy...

DABearSoX

For some reason this stuck out to me these first few games......I don't know if they have always done it and I just haven't noticed it before. Why are the guys running with thier batting gloves in thier hands?? Don't they usually give them to Harold or Cora?

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
For some reason this stuck out to me these first few games......I don't know if they have always done it and I just haven't noticed it before. Why are the guys running with thier batting gloves in thier hands?? Don't they usually give them to Harold or Cora?

The carry the gloves so they'll hold on to them while attempting head first slides. It reduces chances of breaking fingers.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
The carry the gloves so they'll hold on to them while attempting head first slides.  It reduces chances of breaking fingers.

I dont understand how you break your finger sliding.. Who is going into the base sliding with their hands mashed into the ground flat? I havent figured that out yet.. I always assumed everyone just slid with their palms somewhat up, at least thats how I slid

Edited by T R U

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 12:37 AM)
I dont understand how you break your finger sliding.. Who is going into the base sliding with their hands mashed into the ground flat? I havent figured that out yet.. I always assumed everyone just slid with their palms somewhat up, at least thats how I slid

Well you can jam a finger when you first hit the ground or even if your palm is up a bit you can still hit the top of the bag. Just ask Coco, it can happen.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 12:37 AM)

Did you ever get your hand stepped on by someone wearing cleats? That'll do it.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 01:39 AM)
Well you can jam a finger when you first hit a ground or even if your palm is up a bit you can still hit the top of the bag.  Just ask Coco, it can happen.

haha lol nice one

yep i jammed a finger once slidin into a bag head first holdin gloves causes you to make a fist slidin in

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 01:18 AM)
The carry the gloves so they'll hold on to them while attempting head first slides.  It reduces chances of breaking fingers.

Correct. I did this all through high school to prevent jamming a finger (i slid headfirst into 2nd on steals) and to reduce possible spikings.

I never really liked sliding head first...maybe a handful of times in my life have I. I always thought it better going in cleats first with either a hook slide or just a pop up...reason being...a slight better chance knocking the ball out of a glove or just plain somebody not wanting a face full of cleats. That's my preference anyway. Plus for me...head first seemed to slow me down just a little. You risk injury either way...breaking a finger or catching a cleat and breaking your ankle. Plus I didn't spend 25 buckos on sliding shorts for nothing! Last time I slide head first my cup rammed in my pelvis so friggin hard it wasn't even funny.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 06:18 AM)

Wow, i guess I am just an idiot.....20 years of watching baseball and I just never noticed it. I guess it really stuck out to me when Paulie i believe was tagging at third in the KC series......which still makes me think

1. PK sliding head first....yea that will happen

2. Head first slide into home???? very rare

I always slid headfirst into second. I needed the extra second. I jammed my finger once on the bag and it hurt like a mofo. You try to alwasys go in fingers up, but sometimes they come down and get jammed. I carried gloves after it happened to me. I just wasn't able to grab the bag as good as I was before, but I loved sliding like that. Too bad the umps back then didn't watch the whole play...it was kinda just like hey the ball is there so he is out. I used to be great at avoiding the tag and slipping my hand in there.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 12:46 AM)
Did you ever get your hand stepped on by someone wearing cleats?  That'll do it.

Nah never been stepped on.. I was always one of the faster players so they were never really close plays.. but I get what you guys are saying

I was thinkin more along the lines of simply just sliding into the bag and breaking a finger from that

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
Nah never been stepped on.. I was always one of the faster players so they were never really close plays.. but I get what you guys are saying

I was thinkin more along the lines of simply just sliding into the bag and breaking a finger from that

As was mentioned earlier, ask Coco Crisp about that.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 08:44 AM)
I always slid feet first with a hook or a popup. It was the way my first "real coach" taught and later when I had a chance I tried head first and didn't like it at all.

Same here. I always felt I could get to the bag faster sliding feet first than most guys could head first. There were many times I slid in and would be called safe because my foot was touching the back and they tagged me somewhere above my waist.

I remember one time I slid into second, popped up and looked down to see the shortstop sitting on the ground. I didn't find out until later that I was the one that knocked him over when I slid...