Those wacky kids....

juddling

Katie Holmes has been banned from speaking to her baby for a week after it is born, it has been reported.

The pregnant actress has agreed not to talk to her new arrival, believed to be a girl, for at least seven days after she has entered the world, in accordance with fiance Tom Cruise's Scientology beliefs.

Katie, who is due to give birth any day, has already promised Tom she will deliver the child in complete silence, and she will also have very little contact afterwards.

A source told Britain's Closer magazine: "Katie respects Tom's dedication to Scientology. She is devoted to him and wants to bring up the child the Scientology way."

L. Ron Hubbard - the founder of the strange sci-fi cult - writes in the religion's creed, that all followers must live by, that new born babies must not hear their mother speak for a week so they will not associate their voice with the trauma of birth.

When does it get to the part of the Katie taking her kid away from her crazy-ass daddy???

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 07:45 AM)
What is the reason behind a silent birth and now this silent week before the birth?  Does anyone know?

Ya, it was in the first post:

L. Ron Hubbard - the founder of the strange sci-fi cult - writes in the religion's creed, that all followers must live by, that new born babies must not hear their mother speak for a week so they will not associate their voice with the trauma of birth.

So, put off the bond with your baby for a week before its born. Nice. I wonder how the baby feels when all the sudden mom goes silent for a week.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:05 AM)
Oxymoron: Drug Free - Silent Birth

If you want to know.

A Swedish study showed that those who have a traumatic and painful birth are more likely to end their life with violent suicide. The pain the infant experiences is an important factor. Birth trauma has also been linked to infant crying and resultant child abuse. In a survey of battered infants, eighty percent of the parents reported that excessive crying by their child triggered the abuse and placed emphasis on birth trauma as a source of the stress and crying. Child Protection Service agencies receive more than 50,000 referrals each week alleging that children have been abused or neglected.

One doctor says that crying is a beneficial process that allows people to cope with stress and can be considered an inborn healing mechanism, but constant crying puts babies at high risk for child abuse. This is one possible explanation for the correlation between birth trauma and later violent behavior.

So if your baby cries when its born, then you are most likely going to abuse your child in some way and the child will most likely commit suicide in a violent fashion. I would really like to see this Swedish Study that this lady is using as a reference.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 07:17 AM)
So, put off the bond with your baby for a week before its born.  Nice.  I wonder how the baby feels when all the sudden mom goes silent for a week.

The strongest bond between parent and child is solidified right after birth. I guess they can just forget that s***.

Does anyone realize this isnt the slightest more crazy than Trekkies who raise their kids speaking Klingon and whatnot. This s*** is wacked.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
The strongest bond between parent and child is solidified right after birth.  I guess they can just forget that s***. 

Exactly. Right after birth the mother gets the child and it stops crying until it's taken away for weight, bath, etc.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:31 AM)
Exactly. Right after birth the mother gets the child and it stops crying until it's taken away for weight, bath, etc.

Unless it's a C-section. My first born was taken for the weight and measures right away, then she was shown to her mother, but then whisked out while they finished the surgery on my wife. I sat with my daughter while I waited for my wife to get back into her room and to be done with surgery. I talked to my baby, and touched her face, but I still made sure that the first person who held our daughter was my wife. The nurses obviously had to hold her for reasons though. She was happy just being wrapped up like a burrito though.

Scientology is just friggin' wacky.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
Unless it's a C-section. My first born was taken for the weight and measures right away, then she was shown to her mother, but then whisked out while they finished the surgery on my wife. I sat with my daughter while I waited for my wife to get back into her room and to be done with surgery. I talked to my baby, and touched her face, but I still made sure that the first person who held our daughter was my wife. The nurses obviously had to hold her for reasons though. She was happy just being wrapped up like a burrito though.

Scientology is just friggin' wacky.

LOL.. like a burrito. My nephew was the same way. He was super pissed off even under the heater. The second he was given back to my sister.. quiet as a mouse.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
The good news for the kid is this...after Tom Cruise dies in a tragic battle against a lamppost he mistakes for Xenu, the kid will have enough money to afford all the therapy he or she ever needs.

The thing that I dont get is, how can these people seriously follow this "faith" seriously. I mean, its just about the same as following the Lord of the Rings books as a faith, or Star Trek. A guy wrote a book not too long ago, and you are basing your life direction off of that whacko? Come on people.

"Scientology is a new religious movement based on a system of beliefs, teachings, practices, and rituals that was originated as a philosophy in 1952 by science fiction author L. Ron Hubbard. It is characterized by the Church of Scientology in 1953 as an "applied religious philosophy". Hubbard defined Scientology as "knowing how to know" [2], although he first introduced it with the words, "Scientology would be a study of knowledge."[1]

Silent Birth and Infant Care

Based on Hubbard's writings, Scientologists believe that mothers should keep as silent as possible during birth. This stems from the belief that birth is a trauma that may induce imbalance onto the baby, who may also absorb his mother's trauma. Hubbard also wrote that for the first 24 hours after birth, infants should not be touched, cleaned or spoken to, and that mothers should refrain from speaking in the presence of their babies for the first week after birth. He further claimed that babies should not be breastfed, advocating instead a diet of barley extract supplemented with corn syrup or honey. [citation needed] It should be noted that honey given to infants under 18 months can be lethal due to the traces of botulinum spores in honey.

In some of the teachings Hubbard had intended only for this select group, he claimed that Jesus had never existed, but was implanted in humanity's collective memory by Xenu 75 million years ago, and that Christianity was an "entheta [evil] operation" mounted by beings called Targs (Hubbard, "Electropsychometric Scouting: Battle of the Universes", April 1952). Some critics have claimed that one of the highest levels, OT VIII, tells initiates that Jesus was a pederast (it is decidedly unclear whether the version of OT VIII in the Fishman Affidavit, where this claim originates, is genuine). Thus, critics claim, Hubbard makes clear his belief that advanced Scientologists are to identify Jesus and Christianity more as a force of evil than as a force for good.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
Silent Birth and Infant Care

Based on Hubbard's writings, Scientologists believe that mothers should keep as silent as possible during birth. This stems from the belief that birth is a trauma that may induce imbalance onto the baby, who may also absorb his mother's trauma. Hubbard also wrote that for the first 24 hours after birth, infants should not be touched, cleaned or spoken to, and that mothers should refrain from speaking in the presence of their babies for the first week after birth. He further claimed that babies should not be breastfed, advocating instead a diet of barley extract supplemented with corn syrup or honey. [citation needed] It should be noted that honey given to infants under 18 months can be lethal due to the traces of botulinum spores in honey.

This is a group of people who think that the original inhabitants on earth where held by a galatic warlord named Xenu, who blew them up over volcanoes by use of thermonuclear weapons and spread their theatons across all life.

I bet if you put rubbing oranges on your ass, makes you live longer, and put it in an L Ron Hubbard book. Tom Cruise would have an orange farm and would be sliding down the branches bareback.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
The strongest bond between parent and child is solidified right after birth.  I guess they can just forget that s***.

And isn't that exactly the point here? I mean, if this cult recruits and retains members by cutting them off from family ties, then it makes that lifelong brainwashing job that much easier, right? Down the road Katie Holmes might wake up one day and come to her senses and bolt Tom and the cult, but without those tight mother-child bonds maybe she can't get the kid to come along.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Scientology created after Harlan Ellison (or Bradbury, somebody else of great respect in the Science Fiction field) dared Hubbard to try and write his own religion, and while doing so he decided he really liked what he was coming up with?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Scientology created after Harlan Ellison (or Bradbury, somebody else of great respect in the Science Fiction field) dared Hubbard to try and write his own religion, and while doing so he decided he really liked what he was coming up with?

You betcha. The only ex-first-hand account I've seen, from communication between somebody and writer Joe Haldeman (author of The Forever War and other sci-fi mainstays), doesn't identify the writer who actually made the challenge. But it does ut say he and Hubbard ended up making the wager.

Subject: Origins of Scientology (was Re: Scientology debunking help!)

Summary: Sci-Fi bar bet?  Yes!

Keywords: deprogramming and cults

(6)  Did L.Ron Hubbard create Scientology on a bet made at a science fiction conference?

I took a class with Joe Haldeman back at Tech and got the story first-hand.

Several sci-fi writers, including Joe and L. Ron, were sitting around

drinking at a Con.  Someone mentioned that any science fiction writer worth

his/her salt should be able to create a religion that people would follow

en masse.  Much drunken raving ensued, the upshot of which was that if

L. Ron hadn't made one million dollars within ten years, he'd pay Joe

$10.  In fact it only took around three years.

http://www.skepticfiles.org/skeptic/scient4d.htm

No Baptism for TomKat.

"No," Cruise tells Diane Sawyer in an interview on ABC's "Primetime," airing Friday night in the U.S. "No, I mean you can be Catholic and be a Scientologist. You can be Jewish and be a Scientologist. But we're just Scientologists."

The 27-year-old Holmes' switch to Scientology has sparked reports of a rift between her devout parents, Ohio natives Martin and Kathleen, and the 43-year-old actor, who introduced her to Scientology.

However, Cruise shrugs off the stories of family friction, telling Sawyer he's close with "the whole family" and -- "absolutely, yes" -- they approve of Scientology.

The superstar dad-to-be also confirms to Sawyer that Holmes, in the final stages of her pregnancy with the couple's first child, will adhere to Scientology's practice of quiet birth. Cruise explains that "quiet birth," which aims to minimize talk and other noise inside the delivery room," is "basically just respecting the mother."

"She does what she's gotta do," he explains, addressing speculation that such a practice would somehow muffle Holmes completely and deny her pain medication. "If she needs medicine, she needs medicine."

imagesproducts523.jpg