Game Thread - 04/13 Garland vs. Verlander

BigSqwert

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
Its already been started.... Plus we have already had the token "Judy" references...

I'll stand up and take my medicine on that one...after these two outings it is well deserved.

I'm opposed to the bench Garland threads, but I wouldn't be as opposed to a knowledgeable discussion on if resigning Jon to that big contract was in the best interest of the White Sox.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
What did the pitch that hit Thome look like?  Was there intention behind it?  Cuz if it was, I would love to see Shelton get drilled back.

Fastball that got away from Seay. Sure didn't look intentional especially being ahead in teh count.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
We have plenty of people ready in the pen today.  And this is almost deja vu from Garland's first outing.

So you give up on a guy after 1 1/2 starts? ?

This is Ozzie's style: here's the ball, you get yourself in a mess, you're gonna have to pitch out of it, I'm not bailing your ass out, now go get it done, I'll be in the dugout, see you in the 9th.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
This is correct! However, I am just concerned with Jon Garland. To give up 9 runs in KC and nopw 7 or whatever in Detroit in about 5 innings when the guy was lights out last year makes you worried he has some arm problem.  :o

Jon is human, and has the right to have a few bad days over 162 games. Get 'em outta the way now I say.

And I agree with Oz leaving him in there and not pulling a Jerry and pulling him right away. Oz has always let the guys try to pitch out of crap.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
It is now a save situation with 4 innings left to go.  We don't have much of a cushion anymore.

Don't worry. Jenks will come in, let up a 2 run HR, but still get the save. He's perfect on the year!

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
I'll stand up and take my medicine on that one...after these two outings it is well deserved.

I'm opposed to the bench Garland threads, but I wouldn't be as opposed to a knowledgeable discussion on if resigning Jon to that big contract was in the best interest of the White Sox.

Oh come on, I said from the first inning he didnt have his good stuff today, it happens. If he comes out his next 2 starts and pitches well, would you say he is back to his old self?

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
This is correct! However, I am just concerned with Jon Garland. To give up 9 runs in KC and nopw 7 or whatever in Detroit in about 5 innings when the guy was lights out last year makes you worried he has some arm problem.  :o

Just because he's had two bad outings in a row doesnt mean he has arm problems. Pitchers can go through stretches where they just get rocked a few games in a row. I don't think Jon is going to be as good as last year but I don't think we have to much to worry about with him.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
Oh come on, I said from the first inning he didnt have his good stuff today, it happens.  If he comes out his next 2 starts and pitches well, would you say he is back to his old self?

His old self is a lesser version of how he's pitching now..

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 06:56 PM)
So you give up on a guy after 1 1/2 starts? ?

This is Ozzie's style:  here's the ball, you get yourself in a mess, you're gonna have to pitch out of it, I'm not bailing your ass out, now go get it done, I'll be in the dugout, see you in the 9th.

Garland's not some rookie. He proved last year that he can compete at the MLB level. However, you're doing your team a disservice by keeping him in the game when it's obvious that he has nothing in the tank TODAY!

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
Don't worry.  Jenks will come in, let up a 2 run HR, but still get the save.  He's perfect on the year!

Works for me. And all jphat was saying is that he's perfect in save situations this year, cause he kind of is.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Oh come on, I said from the first inning he didnt have his good stuff today, it happens.  If he comes out his next 2 starts and pitches well, would you say he is back to his old self?

:P