A Diamond in the Rough? The Thornton Thread

chitownsportsfan

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 12:11 AM)
I refuse to get excited over this outing. Ask any mariner fan and they will tell you thornton has the ability to make hitters look foolish as hell for one, two, maybe even three innings... while hammering the zone. Little bit downt he road he will suddenly lose control and implode for a four spot... and those three scoreless innings he just threw go for naught.

We likely won't know if cooper is actually a god or not (everyone here seems to think so) until around the all star break.

I doubt if anybody wants him...nor will let him throw 3 or 4 innings. His job is 2 solid innings...that's it. Kind of just contradicted the whole point or his purpose. If the Mariners were expecting 4 innings out of him...that's their tough s***.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 03:30 AM)
I doubt if anybody wants him...nor will let him throw 3 or 4 innings.  His job is 2 solid innings...that's it.  Kind of just contradicted the whole point or his purpose.  If the Mariners were expecting 4 innings out of him...that's their tough s***.

I of course did not mean three or four innings in one outing. I meant multiple outings and innings of him doing well, while looking great... then he turns to s*** aka implodes.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 01:11 AM)
I refuse to get excited over this outing. Ask any mariner fan and they will tell you thornton has the ability to make hitters look foolish as hell for one, two, maybe even three innings... while hammering the zone. Little bit downt he road he will suddenly lose control and implode for a four spot... and those three scoreless innings he just threw go for naught.

We likely won't know if cooper is actually a god or not (everyone here seems to think so) until around the all star break.

Sounds exactly like Damaso Marte.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 01:11 AM)
Shoeneweis threw 93-94. He could bring it for a lefty.

I have yet to see thornton hit 100+ on the gun.

Eh, I recall watching him in person many many times and he was a low 90's 90-92 MPH on a good day. Thornton even hit 99 on the gun yesterday. He is much more talented in the stuff dept.