Top 100 Screenplays

Brian

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
Check out #24.  24??!!

It's on every single top 100 list. Never saw it... but plan on it this upcoming week. The plot is pretty damn dumb from what i can tell... and a few people have told me how retarded it is. But then again it cannot be anyworse the life aquatic with steve zissou... most overated piece of s*** i have ever seen. There are so many backers to it... f***ing mind boggling to me. Every year though there are those movies that people have to grasp onto and back no matter how good/bad it really was.

27. GROUNDHOG DAY, Screenplay by Danny Rubin and Harold Ramis. Story by Danny Rubin.

100. MEMENTO, Screenplay by Christopher Nolan. Based on the short story "Memento Mori" by Jonathan Nolan

I must have missed something here. Memento must be down the list because it is adapted because I can't see how these movies can be in these positions.

They got the first two right, just in the wrong order. In my mind, Godfather and Casablanca are in a class of their own at the top.

I'd also agree that shawshank is too low. I'd put shawshank third, its a wonderful life fourth, and Dr. Strangelove fifth.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 12:50 AM)
It's on every single top 100 list. Never saw it... but plan on it this upcoming week. The plot is pretty damn dumb from what i can tell... and a few people have told me how retarded it is. But then again it cannot be anyworse the life aquatic with steve zissou... most overated piece of s*** i have ever seen. There are so many backers to it... f***ing mind boggling to me. Every year though there are those movies that people have to grasp onto and back no matter how good/bad it really was.

Eternal Sunshine is written by Charlie Kaufman. He also appears at #74 with Being John Malkovich and #77 with Adaptation. Kaufman is EASILY the best screenwriter in the business. The Eternal Sunshine plot is anything BUT retarded. After all, it won Best Original Screenplay, a response that garnered from many, "Finally Kaufman gets what he deserves."

I dare you to find anyone else in the business as talented as Charlie Kaufman. All of his movies are giant successes with the critics and audiences that will take it in themselves to see a movie actually worth seeing. (3 of his 4 screenplays have been nominated for best original screenplay. His only bomb was Human Nature. He also wrote Confessions of A Dangerous Mind which was picked up by George Clooney. Unlike ALL of Kaufman's other movies, Clooney cut Kaufman out once he picked the screenplay up. And an interesting piece of dialogue about it from here, or below:

CLOONEY: That was a good script.

MILLER: Not a great movie, but a great script. [Laughter])

As far as The Life Aqcuatic, it wasn't Wes Anderson's best...but it had some pretty good moments. The asthetics were great as always, but Anderson lacked co-writer Wes Anderson for this film. Oddly enough, Anderson's TLA co-writer was Noah Baumbach who wrote and directed The Squid and the Whale last year...a breakthrough film for him.

Edited by BobDylan