My Newest Column

You can have your own perspective on homosexuals, but don't dare codify your biases into laws that infringe on the rights of other Americans

Don't laws specifying special protections for homosexuals do just that? Don't laws banning 'hate speech' do that? Why can't someone hate gay people, and say so? Yeah, they probably have other issues, but something in that line there sounds very odd to me. If I didn't have so damn much cold medicine in me, I might be able to put it into words. But to make something clear, I don't give a rats ass if gay people want to marry. Welcome to hell! Marraige hell, that is.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 15, 2006 -> 05:40 AM)
Don't laws specifying special protections for homosexuals do just that?  Don't laws banning 'hate speech' do that?  Why can't someone hate gay people, and say so?  Yeah, they probably have other issues, but something in that line there sounds very odd to me.  If I didn't have so damn much cold medicine in me, I might be able to put it into words.  But to make something clear, I don't give a rats ass if gay people want to marry.  Welcome to hell!  Marraige hell, that is.

what?

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
Don't laws specifying special protections for homosexuals do just that?  Don't laws banning 'hate speech' do that?  Why can't someone hate gay people, and say so?  Yeah, they probably have other issues, but something in that line there sounds very odd to me.  If I didn't have so damn much cold medicine in me, I might be able to put it into words.  But to make something clear, I don't give a rats ass if gay people want to marry.  Welcome to hell!  Marraige hell, that is.

Hate crime legislation is a pretty odd thing because most violent crimes are derived out of hate. It is, as South Park put it, a "savage hypocricy".

People should have the ability to use free speech to say what they want (if they think that the gays and the 5 Jewish bankers control the world money supply from the center of the Earth, etc.) but they have no right to codify their biases into legislation denying homosexuals from entering a contract (that is what marriage is in a purely legalistic sense, a contract given by the state) That's the point I was going after.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 15, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
Hate crime legislation is a pretty odd thing because most violent crimes are derived out of hate.  It is, as South Park put it, a "savage hypocricy".

People should have the ability to use free speech to say what they want (if they think that the gays and the 5 Jewish bankers control the world money supply from the center of the Earth, etc.) but they have no right to codify their biases into legislation denying homosexuals from entering a contract (that is what marriage is in a purely legalistic sense, a contract given by the state)  That's the point I was going after.

They've got the right to TRY and 'codify' any type of legislation to choose to. The constitionality of any successfully passed legislation will be address by the USSC.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 03:37 AM)
They've got the right to TRY and 'codify' any type of legislation to choose to.  The constitionality of any successfully passed legislation will be address by the USSC.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes they do. And it highlights one of the genious portions of our Constitution. It would be a better argument to state why it would be bad public policy to do so.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 06:27 AM)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes they do. And it highlights one of the genious portions of our Constitution. It would be a better argument to state why it would be bad public policy to do so.

Thanks for expounding on my point. You summed it up nicely.

It highlights perhaps the single most important aspect of our government. No one group or party can totally f*** up without someone else being empowered to fix the f*** up. So when one party threatens a filibuster, go for it. When another has the ability to appoint anyone they want to the Supremes, go for it. Think there should be a Constitutional amendment?, start writing.

Our system has stood up to corruption, incompetence, stupidity, bigotry, institutionalize racism, war mongering, and all sorts of asshattery.