AAP: Paulo Orlando

Kannapolis Intimidators

Pos: CF

DoB: 11-01-1985

Ht: 6'3"

Wt: 165

Bats: R

Throws: R

Mr. Orlando is shrouded in mystery, perhaps because his name in was originally Pablo? The only news article I could find on him from his home country of Brazil (which is no longer available) referred to him as Pablo. -- Anyway, he goes by Paulo now. Let's just hope it's not one of those age-gate, or Jario Garcia Santiago Casilla situations.

I heard that was played in one of the Dominican Summer Leagues for the Sox last season, but I can't find any stats on him from there.

I've only seen him bat once, turning what should have been a routine DP into a FC with his speed. He would later score from first on a double squirted down the right field line. From the 360 feet that I've seen him run, I think he's the fastest player in the White Sox system.

He has started his professional career in America with a 7 game hitting streak (still active) that includes 2 doubles, 2 triples, and a HR.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
Kannapolis Intimidators

Pos: CF

DoB: 11-01-1985

Ht: 6'3"

Wt: 165

Bats: R

Throws: R

Mr. Orlando is shrouded in mystery, perhaps because his name in was originally Pablo? The only news article I could find on him from his home country of Brazil (which is no longer available) referred to him as Pablo. -- Anyway, he goes by Paulo now. Let's just hope it's not one of those age-gate, or Jario Garcia Santiago Casilla situations.

I heard that was played in one of the Dominican Summer Leagues for the Sox last season, but I can't find any stats on him from there.

I've only seen him bat once, turning what should have been a routine DP into a FC with his speed. He would later score from first on a double squirted down the right field line. From the 360 feet that I've seen him run, I think he's the fastest player in the White Sox system.

He has started his professional career in America with a 7 game hitting streak (still active) that includes 2 doubles, 2 triples, and a HR.

Hey Gene

Orlando batted .322 with 7 2b’s and 3 3b’s for the Dominican team.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 15, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
Hey Gene

Orlando batted .322 with 7 2b’s and 3 3b’s for the Dominican team.

I kinda thought that was him. The stat line for Roberto Paulo fit his profile. Add another alias to the list.

.322/.365*/.504 with a 30:8 K/BB ratio. He needs to put the ball in play more. With his speed, most of them will be hits anyway.

At 6'3" and 165, you've gotta figure he can add some mass, while not losing his speed, to add some more power to his swing.

• 3 weeks later...

Javier Guatemala now thinks he's a power hitter. He's swinging hard and hoping he hits it.

His average is down to .306, and he's coaxed just a single walk out of opposing pitchers in 72 at bats. Even more troubling, he's striking out at an astounding rate (30.5% of ABs)

I've also been interested in Kanny's lineup construction. After Javier's hot start, and stint on the DL, he was placed back in the lineup at an RBI positition. So the increase in strikeouts since he got off the DL may be a case of either his finger injury, a different approach at the plate, or both.

Also Aaron Cunningham, who's been Kanny's best hitter, originally started in the middle of the lineup, but is now batting leadoff. This is what it's come to in Kanny. Cunningham leads the team with 6 walks, and has the highest OBP of any regular.