Chris Shelton

RME JICO

This guy has started the season on a tear. When do you think he will start to taper off to normal? He has 7 HRs in 41ABs, and he only had 19 HRs in his career prior to 2006 in over 430 ABs. Also, he now has 3 triples this season which matches his career total before 2005. Is this a fluke or is this guy legit?

Also, why do you think DET has him batting so late in the batting order? Wouldn't he produce even more in the 3-4-5 slot? I have only seen him in the 6th or 7th slot.

Watching him last season you could tell that he had the potential to be a great hitter. Beside the fact that he went on a similar tear for a short time after being called up, his approach at the plate screams "smart hitter". The guy consistently went opposite field with the pitch last season. As a rookie, that's REALLY impressive to me. Hell, compare that approach to what Brian Anderson, one of our top performing prospects in the minors, is doing in the majors. I think Shelton will obviously cool off considerably this season but, with his approach at the plate and raw power, I don't think it's out of the question to see him as a 30-35 hr threat with a .285-.305 avg in the near future.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Apr 15, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
God I hope he stays hot...he was a great pick up in the 14th round for my fantasy team

That is a great pick if you got him on your team at all. He can be as hot as you want as long as he doesn't do it against the Sox.

You think Pittsburgh would love to have him at first instead of Sean Casey right now?

Shelton could wind up hitting 30 HR's very easily. However, since he still has to hit at Comerica, I think he'll tail off sooner rather than later.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 15, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
You think Pittsburgh would love to have him at first instead of Sean Casey right now?

Shelton could wind up hitting 30 HR's very easily. However, since he still has to hit at Comerica, I think he'll tail off sooner rather than later.

Supposedly Pitt was seriously worried about his power development. He was a non-factor in AA as a 23 year old before he was taken in the Rule 5 draft. He put up some pretty impressive numbers before that though, so you'd think they would have protected him.

I think eventually he's going to cool down a bit, and the park won't help. He's not going to totally suck though. I expect him to finish with 30-35 homers with about a .300 average.

Shelton has always hit... He had a hot streak last season as well but slowed down at the end. Guy just knows how to hit the gaps ( guys that hit the gaps you dont give up on, there power will come) and turn on pitches when he has a favorable count.. kid knows what he's doing up the plate. he will move up in the order, once they get rid of D. Young.

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 15, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)

Now I wouldn't say that. With all the fence moving they have done, that place actually favors hitters a bit (unless you hit it to center, still a freaking death valley there).