Yankees sign 1B Carlos Pena

SSH2005

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/weblog/index.s..._04.html#131527

Pena signs with Yankees

DETROIT -- Carlos Pena's deal with the New York Yankees is now official.

He signed a minor-league deal, with an agreement that he'll make $1.25 million when called up to the big leagues, with a chance for another $500,000 in incentives. Pena hasn't played since the Tigers released him on March 26, so he'll go to Class A Tampa to get some at-bats. If they don't call him up within a few weeks, he can ask for his release.

The Tigers paid Pena about $688,000 in termination pay, rather than guarantee a $2.8 million contract.

Considering how he hit the 2nd part of last season, I am quite surprised it took him this long to find a spot. He hit with some power late in the year for the Tigers. Had to at least make a few organizations think he had finally figured things out (lets not forget he was pretty damn talented back when he was in the Athletic's system).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 01:18 AM)
Considering how he hit the 2nd part of last season, I am quite surprised it took him this long to find a spot.  He hit with some power late in the year for the Tigers.  Had to at least make a few organizations think he had finally figured things out (lets not forget he was pretty damn talented back when he was in the Athletic's system).

He's a pretty darn good fielder as well. He does have some holes in his swing though, I'm not sure he'll ever be that great of a hitter but he could be a nice bench player that could supply some power.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
Considering how he hit the 2nd part of last season, I am quite surprised it took him this long to find a spot.  He hit with some power late in the year for the Tigers.  Had to at least make a few organizations think he had finally figured things out (lets not forget he was pretty damn talented back when he was in the Athletic's system).

I guess it's like when Hee Seop Choi got placed on waivers and the Red Sox claimed him.

He's also got Scott Bora$$ as his agent, so some teams may have shied away from that, even though it doesn't look that bad of a contract.

But the guy had a 1.006 OPS after the ASB. The Yankees could start him at 1B, and put Giambi at DH and they'd be better defensively (which is a big key for them). He's certainly better than the likes of Andy Phillips and Bernie Williams.