Anderson not first to get off so slowly

greasywheels121

I sat in centerfield Friday. He freezes on balls hit right at him like Rowand did, maybe that is just the position. I think he also plays to deep. Neither of which I am any more qualified than Tim Raines to address.

As for his time at the plate Friday. He looked like a pithcer. Mack should be playing center for a week.

KW should have some feelers out there......

I can live with Pods struggling as he looks off, same as Uribe. Anderson looks clueless and worse than that, helpless.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
I sat in centerfield Friday.  He freezes on balls hit right at him like Rowand did, maybe that is just the position.  I think he also plays to deep.  Neither of which I am any more qualified than Tim Raines to address.

As for his time at the plate Friday.  He looked like a pithcer.  Mack should be playing center for a week.

KW should have some feelers out there......

I can live with Pods struggling as he looks off, same as Uribe.  Anderson looks clueless and worse than that, helpless.

Defensively he's superior to anyone else on the 25 man roster in CF though. I haven't seen enough of Anderson but he's very fluid, with a strong arm and I've seen him cut off balls that a lot of CF'ers wouldn't be able to.

And its pretty normal for CF'rs to freeze from time to time on line shots hit right at them. Thats by far the toughest ball for an outfielder to read. Although I've yet to see him really screw up out there and like anything he's going to have to get adjusted to the major league level.

I've long said all those people that said Anderson was going to be just as good as Rowand were freaking fools. Centerfield at the Cell is the most difficult spot to play CF in the bigs (due to the swirling winds) and to get good you need to get consistent playing time and make adjustments and start to learn the park.

.125/.222/.125

.129/.206/.194

I know Anderson is struggling right now, but Mackowiak isn't doing a whole lot better. If Podsednik is and has been allowed to work/play through his slump, the same should probably go for BA. I can understand sitting Anderson against righties with hard breaking stuff (ie Burnett), but against Josh Towers? Come on, GMAB.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
.125/.222/.125

.129/.206/.194

I know Anderson is struggling right now, but Mackowiak isn't doing a whole lot better.  If Podsednik is and has been allowed to work/play through his slump, the same should probably go for BA.  I can understand sitting Anderson against righties with hard breaking stuff (ie Burnett), but against Josh Towers?  Come on, GMAB.

Different situations with Pods and Brian. I agree that he needs to play but ozzie might have wanted to give him a few days off just to clear his head. I'd bet he plays the whole KC series.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 01:53 AM)
Different situations with Pods and Brian.  I agree that he needs to play but ozzie might have wanted to give him a few days off just to clear his head.  I'd bet he plays the whole KC series.

I hope so.

I thought before the season, something along the lines of .250/.315/.430 for BA, which I still think he can do. But, more importantly, I expected good defense, which he's given us, other than the one bad read against Detroit. There's really no question that he's the best defensive outfielder on the Sox...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)
I hope so.

I thought before the season, something along the lines of .250/.315/.430 for BA, which I still think he can do.  But, more importantly, I expected good defense, which he's given us, other than the one bad read against Detroit.  There's really no question that he's the best defensive outfielder on the Sox...

Completely agree.

I thought he'd do great right off the bat.

It wouldn't hurt for him to ask Thome what he did during that rehab stint or whatever it was that got Thome going at the end of spring training.

I'm not giving up on Anderson. He looks like too good a prospect/physical specimin, but like somebody on here said, it's tough to watch him bat now.

Mack is sucking just as badly, however.

Mack needs to start hitting.

And Pods.

I'm willing to give Anderson a little more time because of his defense, but how come he can't be good right away like Matt Murton. That guy doesn't swing at garbage and didn't need a learning curve.

QUOTE(shoota @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
I'm willing to give Anderson a little more time because of his defense, but how come he can't be good right away like Matt Murton. That guy doesn't swing at garbage and didn't need a learning curve.

Murton's approach is great at the plate. He has an incredible short swing, and hits to all fields. He looks like a 10 year veteran compared to Anderson.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)
There's really no question that he's the best defensive outfielder on the Sox...

Not sure I agree with that, at least not to say "no question". JD has turned into a pretty darn good RF, and I think people aren't noticing. He probably couldn't play CF as well as Anderson, but I think I'd say Dye is as good a right fielder as Anderson is a center fielder.

Of course, it is only two weeks into the season, so we'll have to look at this again later.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
It's a shame the Phillies wouldn't of been stupid enough to take Anderson in place of AROW... who's hitting over .300 right now the last time I checked... .326 now that I look at it...

are you kidding? They prob would of wanted Anderson over Rowand......

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
It's a shame the Phillies wouldn't of been stupid enough to take Anderson in place of AROW... who's hitting over .300 right now the last time I checked... .326 now that I look at it...

Anderson is worth a s***load more than ROwand, thats why the SOX didnt do it. Im glad our management doesnt include you.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
Anderson is worth a s***load more than ROwand, thats why the SOX didnt do it.  Im glad our management doesnt include you.

My only question is if all these people jumping off the BA bandwagon are allowed to climb back on. He's a rookie who is replacing arguably the most beloved player on last year's WS winning team. Give him time, he will produce.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
Lets not get crazy here.

Anderson is not worth a s*** load more than Rowand, perhaps over time Anderson will be better.

But as of today Rowand > Anderson.

Anderson may have more potential, but Rowand is better right now.

Anderson is worth more than Rowand. Sorry bout it. #1 prospect, who produced at a MUCH higher level in the minor leagues than Rowand, projects not only to be better on offense, but also on defense, is younger, quicker, higher ceiling. Rowand is a nice guy, and he plays hard, but Anderson is worth much more.

And if you want to say, well, blahblahblah, his stats right now are better, blah, blah blah. Chris fricking Shelton is leading the league in batting, that shows you how much the first couple of weeks project over a season.

I think had the Sox had a choice of whether or not to include BA or Rowand, BA would have definitely been gone.

Rock, whether or not BA projects to be better than Rowand is irrelevant right now. He could project to be the next big thing and not do s***. How many hyped up prospects have turned into busts? Plenty.

Most of the White Sox first rounders over the past decade have done nothing. And they all were probably hyped as being good prospects.

Hell since 1992, Bobby Seay and Kip Wells are the only Sox first rounders who are even in the big leagues. I guess you can count Borchard in his backup role.

Look at this list:

1992 Eddie Pearson

1993 Scott Christman

1994 Mark Johnson

1995 Jeff Liefer

1996 *Bobby Seay

1997 Jason Dellaero

1998 Kip Wells

1999 Jason Stumm

2000 Joe Borchard

2001 Kris Honel

2002 Royce Ring

2003 Brian Anderson

2004 Josh Fields

2005 Lance Broadway

I think most any team would take Rowand over Anderson simply because he is a proven player at the big league level. Anderson may have more talent, but that doesn't mean he'll be better than Rowand.

I think to a point that BA was somewhat rushed through the system. Even though he was a college guy, I think he would have done better with another year at AAA.

Right now he is striking out way too much and his approach is awful. I don't really remember many instances where he wasn't down at least a strike in the count and most instances two strikes.

I think he'll be fine, but if in a month he is still playing the same type of baseball, there will be cause for concern.

Wow, if any outsider came and read this thread, they would think Rowand is the best player since Babe Ruth. The guy is flat out brutal at the plate. He is good in the field, but so is Anderson. The guy just got called up, give him some time, he will produce, he has at every level.

I thought the thinking around here back in spring training was if BA played solid defense and whatever he hit was just a bonus. What happened to that thinking?!? Sure, the kid's struggling with the bat, I expected him to. But he's sure as hell impressed me so far with his glove, his range and his arm in CF. Right now, he doesn't know the difference between fastball/junk but once he does, he'll be alright. :gosox1:

Edited by Allsox

QUOTE(Allsox @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
I thought the thinking around here back in spring training was if BA played solid defense and whatever he hit was just a bonus. What happened to that thinking?!? Sure, the kid's struggling with the bat, I expected him to. But he's sure as hell impressed me so far with his glove, his range and his arm in CF. Right now, he doesn't know the difference between fastball/junk but once he does, he'll be alright.  :gosox1:

We are no longer on pace for a 173-0 season. Someone has to take the blame.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 09:17 PM)
We are no longer on pace for a 173-0 season.  Someone has to take the blame.

Wonder how this board would react if I told them the Sox will lose 60 games this yr :P