How good is this team?

Steve9347

Hmm, let's see, we obviously haven't played anywhere NEAR close to our best ball yet.

However, we are currently tied for 1st in the division. Our pitching has not been as good as we all know it will be, and Scott Podsednik barely has been on base!

The pitching will come around, the hitting is here, and Pods was 2-2 today and stole a base!

This summer is going to rule!

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
Hmm, let's see, we obviously haven't played anywhere NEAR close to our best ball yet.

However, we are currently tied for 1st in the division.  Our pitching has not been as good as we all know it will be, and Scott Podsednik barely has been on base!

The pitching will come around, the hitting is here, and Pods was 2-2 today and stole a base!

We're just getting started dude. There's a whole crapload of White Sox Winners yet to come.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
i think we have some major flaws and it scares me...we're better than most...but i think our bullpen is gonna catch up with us big time as time wears on.

The bullpen really scares me. Hopefully it does not prove to be the Achilles Heel of an otherwise dominant team.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
The bullpen really scares me. Hopefully it does not prove to be the Achilles Heel of an otherwise dominant team.

Cotts and Politte are fighting it right now. Once they get it together I think we'll be alright. If Thornton can keep it together thats a nice bonus.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)

Agreed. If Hermanson can't come back and pitch effectively by the break, KW's going to have to trade for another setup man. As many predicted, Politte isn't going to get the job done. Logan may or may not be trustworthy in big games later on and Thornton's track record suggests that he probably won't.

On the bright side, our rotation alone will keep us in contention (even if Garland has a down year). The addition of future HOFer Thome and subtraction of Carl "No Plate Discipline" Everett is already paying off huge dividends. Our lineup will definitely take more pressure off of our pitching this year. Our bench is better than last year and we're top-notch defensively. Despite the slow start, 95 wins and another trip to the playoffs still look very probable.

The Bigger concerns are not can we establish a closer or can Pods hit and run, but how much better did Cleveland and Detroit get. No running and building a lead this season. The Central will be tough and we're going to have to start winning on the coasts.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 07:39 PM)
The Bigger concerns are not can we establish a closer or can Pods hit and run, but how much better did Cleveland and Detroit get. No running and building a lead this season. The Central will be tough and we're going to have to start winning on the coasts.

Cleveland got worse, Detroit will be tucked away in 4th in about 2 weeks.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 06:40 PM)
Cleveland got worse, Detroit will be tucked away in 4th in about 2 weeks.

Yeah, Cleveland may only win 90 games this year. Detroit is definitely better and may win 80, but it's difficult to imagine much more than that.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)

However, we are currently tied for 1st in the division.  Our pitching has not been as good as we all know it will be, and Scott Podsednik barely has been on base!

I also wouldn't expect our 2-6 hitters to remain as productive as they've been. You can't just assume the negative aspects of the season so far (Podsednik, Garland/Garcia, bullpen) will regress to their means while the offense continues to outperform what should reasonably expected out of it.

This summer is going to be fun to watch, but don't expect us to walk away with the Central. This division is tough, and the 2006 White Sox have their flaws.

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:52 AM)
I also wouldn't expect our 2-6 hitters to remain as productive as they've been.  You can't just assume the negative aspects of the season so far (Podsednik, Garland/Garcia, bullpen) will regress to their means while the offense continues to outperform what should reasonably expected out of it.

This summer is going to be fun to watch, but don't expect us to walk away with the Central.  This division is tough, and the 2006 White Sox have their flaws.

definitely...definitely...i agree...

From top to bottom, this division is MUCH tougher then it was last year. KC is not a team that you can kick the s*** out of, they will battle you. Detroit is much improved. Cleveland may have regressed slightly, but they will battle you as well. Oh, and by the way, there's this team from Minnesota that will kick and claw their way through the division as well.

Because of the imbalanced schedule, this division could EASILY see a 90 game division winner - because they are going to beat up on each other more then what happened last year.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 04:04 AM)
From top to bottom, this division is MUCH tougher then it was last year.  KC is not a team that you can kick the s*** out of, they will battle you.  Detroit is much improved.  Cleveland may have regressed slightly, but they will battle you as well.  Oh, and by the way, there's this team from Minnesota that will kick and claw their way through the division as well.

The Twins are significantly better, in my opinion. The additions of Castillo and Liriano to the roster, as well as getting rid of the free-swinging Jones will help their consistency.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
From top to bottom, this division is MUCH tougher then it was last year.  KC is not a team that you can kick the s*** out of, they will battle you.  Detroit is much improved.  Cleveland may have regressed slightly, but they will battle you as well.  Oh, and by the way, there's this team from Minnesota that will kick and claw their way through the division as well.

Because of the imbalanced schedule, this division could EASILY see a 90 game division winner - because they are going to beat up on each other more then what happened last year.

Eh, I see what you're saying but I highly doubt the division winner wins 90 games. I do agree though about Minny, that team will be our toughest competition, no doubt in my mind.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
The Twins are significantly better, in my opinion.  The additions of Castillo and Liriano to the roster, as well as getting rid of the free-swinging Jones will help their consistency.

Getting back Torrii as well.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)
I'm not so sure about that... their only 2 wins so far were against us.

We also had a moron is left field (not talking about podsednik for once) and another as the starting pitcher for one of those games.