No more tarp sliding for Buehrle

greasywheels121

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
Yes, a line drive off the elbow, a pulled hammy pitching, these things, yes. But still, they'd be in our faces if he did the tarp slide and tore a hammy.

Honeslty something I have recently learned...stop caring about what Cubs fans think becuase it will make your head spin

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
IMO, stupidest fine ever. I have yet to see anyone get injured slip and sliding over a slip and slide or a tarp. Buehrle's about fun and it's not like he's out riding a motorcycle or anything like that.

I give you Exhibit A

;)

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
We should pitch in and get him a slip n slide, from SoxTalk.  I bet he'd get a kick out of it.

I'm all for it... if I pick one up from Toys 'R Us tomorrow, where does it get sent to?

What would happen if MB actually got injured doing a tarp slide though?

On the one hand I can see why KW and management would do this, they want to protect their investment etc., but then again it's pretty stupid.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:02 PM)
What would happen if MB actually got injured doing a tarp slide though?

On the one hand I can see why KW and management would do this, they want to protect their investment etc., but then again it's pretty stupid.

It's a giant slip n slide though. For all we know Mark has one at home and does this every day.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
It's a giant slip n slide though.  For all we know Mark has one at home and does this every day.

Well then Mark needs to find something better to do during the day. :lol:

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 04:04 AM)
It's a giant slip n slide though.  For all we know Mark has one at home and does this every day.

Yeah....but there's not a giant mound in the middle of Buehrle's yard (at least I don't think). All it takes is one time for Buehrle to not correct judge where the bases are, and he could easily bust his shoulder. I love Buerhle's enthusiasm, but I can see why the Sox brass would put a stop to it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)
Yeah....but there's not a giant mound in the middle of Buehrle's yard (at least I don't think).  All it takes is one time for Buehrle to not correct judge where the bases are, and he could easily bust his shoulder.  I love Buerhle's enthusiasm, but I can see why the Sox brass would put a stop to it.

How do you know? ;) I see your point but I just don't think it's that big of a risk, the guy is just having fun. I'm sure Mark does more dangerous things just about every day.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
How do you know? ;)  I see your point but I just don't think it's that big of a risk, the guy is just having fun.  I'm sure Mark does more dangerous things just about every day.

It almost reminds me of when Aaron Rowand busted his shoulder when he was riding dirt bikes during the off-season a few seasons back. You can see why the Sox are maybe a little bit leery after that type of thing happens.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
It almost reminds me of when Aaron Rowand busted his shoulder when he was riding dirt bikes during the off-season a few seasons back. You can see why the Sox are maybe a little bit leery after that type of thing happens.

Once again I see your point and that's a good point because a player has had a freak thing happen to him recently for this club but riding a dirt bike is much more dangerous then a slip n slide.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 11:20 PM)
Once again I see your point and that's a good point because a player has had a freak thing happen to him recently for this club but riding a dirt bike is much more dangerous then a slip n slide.

But the principle is the same. No matter how harmless a slip n slide is, the possibilty of hurting yourself is there. And like the Aaron situation, if he hurts himself, it'll be doing something other than what he is paid to do.

I enjoy watching it. I think its refreshing to see a player have as much fun playing this game as Mark does. But I can't blame Kenny one bit for his stance on this. I can think of about 8 million reasons that he shouldn't be doing it, not to mention his importance to the team.

The risk is small, but still...

Edited by KevHead0881

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
But the principle is the same.  No matter how harmless a slip n slide is, the possibilty of hurting yourself is there.  And like the Aaron situation, if he hurts himself, it'll be doing something other than what he is paid to do.

I enjoy watching it.  I think its refreshing to see a player have as much fun playing this game as Mark does.  But I can't blame Kenny one bit for his stance on this.  I can think of about 8 million reasons that he shouldn't be doing it, not to mention his importance to the team.

The risk is small, but still...

See, I disagree because basically now we're saying there is a risk in anything he does, and like I said I would bet there is more risk in some of his daily routines then there is doing this. What if he goes shopping and has a watermelon fall on his foot?? Anyways, I think both of us will agree this is a dumb argument, we're arguing over a giant slip n slide basically :lol: . I'll just let it go, no need to keep arguing.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)
See, I disagree because basically now we're saying there is a risk in anything he does, and like I said I would bet there is more risk in some of his daily routines then there is doing this.  What if he goes shopping and has a watermelon fall on his foot??  Anyways, I think both of us will agree this is a dumb argument, we're arguing over a giant slip n slide basically :lol: .  I'll just let it go, no need to keep arguing.

That's no laughing matter. I was out 3 months after that very same thing happened to me.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
See, I disagree because basically now we're saying there is a risk in anything he does, and like I said I would bet there is more risk in some of his daily routines then there is doing this.  What if he goes shopping and has a watermelon fall on his foot??  Anyways, I think both of us will agree this is a dumb argument, we're arguing over a giant slip n slide basically :lol: .  I'll just let it go, no need to keep arguing.

Works for me. Although, I could go all night on this topic. There should really be a seperate forum on this site for arguing the virtues of the slip-n-slide.

Mods, I hope you are reading this.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
Works for me.  Although, I could go all night on this topic.  There should really be a seperate forum on this site for arguing the virtues of the slip-n-slide.

Mods, I hope you are reading this.

soxtalk needs to have a giant slip n slide party.

This request was bound to happen eventually.

It should be a clear indication of the organizations interest in maintaing Buehrle's health. (Contract extension forthcoming?) Enticing fans onto the field doesn't help matters.

Everyone knows our organization would be absolutely ripped in the media if Buehrle injured his arm/shoulder during a slide. See, if Lance Broadway were sliding, no one would care. It just happens to be one of our best pitchers participating in rain delay theather.

Yes, it's fun--but because of their vested interest in his arm it's important to forbid such actions. You can't control what happens outside of the ballpark. Inside, however, you should do everything possible to limit injuries. I'd like to know how many other clubs in major league baseball would allow their aces to slide across tarps? I'd bet none.

What I don't really agree with is Williams threatening a fine. I can't guess the tone in which the comment was made, but hopefully it was a cautious reminder. Shouldn't be too much of a problem.