So is Cintron a starter?

Steve9347

Alex Cintron, whom I was incredibly happy we acquired in the first place, seems to be fighting his way into a starting role with the Sox.

Is this for real, or have the matchups been working favorably for him, or is Uribe not 100%?

Over the last three games, Cintron has hit .462 (6-13) with only one K, and we all know about the triples.

----just some thoughts, because I sure don't cringe when Cintron, the backup, is out there like I did when Willie Harris/Pablo Ozuna* were playing. I liked Alex in AZ, and think he is in the best playing shape of his entire career.

*I love Ozuna like the rest, but when he is forced to play many games in a row, his flaws are revealed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 08:54 PM)
you mean on a Monday against the KC Royals... I bet Widger starts too!

I would hope Ozzie allows our major league line-up to play against the Royals. The fact that the only two wins KC has gotten all year came against our backups in the second series of the season is kind of embarrasing.

Juan is the starter, Cintron is the backup. Juan was having some soreness in his right side, and since Cintron was swinging a good bat, Juan was given the time to recover.

Playing it safe: After knocking out three hits, including two triples, during the series finale in Detroit Thursday, Alex Cintron looked to have earned a second straight start at shortstop Friday. But Guillen was working more on a cautious approach with regular shortstop Juan Uribe, who is bothered by slight soreness in his right side that took root in Spring Training.

"He started feeling it a couple of days ago, and I don't want to take any chances," said Guillen of Uribe. "We have people to replace him, so I told Hermie [athletic trainer Herm Schneider] to take more time with him until he's 100 percent."

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
I actually like our lineup with Cintron in it.... it seems to me we are dangerous everywhere in the order that way besides Mack/Anderson.  Uribe gives you more power but I think Cintron will produce a better avg.  Also I like him as a 9 hitter.

Ya well Juan's D>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Alex's.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
Ya well Juan's D>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Alex's.

And that's why Juan is the starter, full stop.

Cintron's a perfect utility guy to have though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
And that's why Juan is the starter, full stop.

Cintron's a perfect utility guy to have though.

Yup, I like Alex a lot. Just want to make it clear that there is a reason why Juan is our guy, he's one of the best defensive ss's there is.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)
I gotta say that Cintron is one helluva back-up. Too bad Ozzie can't stick him in centerfield...

Why can't he? He can go play wherever the heck he's told to play... If Soranio can play LF then Cintron can play CF... Then we can send down Anderson for a new backup infielder...

I think if anything, if Cintron's going to fight his way into a starting spot here, it would have to be at 2B, if we don't pick up Iguchi's option next season (although I can't see that happening right now).

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Why can't he? He can go play wherever the heck he's told to play... If Soranio can play LF then Cintron can play CF... Then we can send down Anderson for a new backup infielder...

That's because Soriano has ACTUALLY played in the outfield before. Cinton hasn't. You stick Cintron in CF, suddenly your OF defense gets a lot worse.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
I think if anything, if Cintron's going to fight his way into a starting spot here, it would have to be at 2B, if we don't pick up Iguchi's option next season (although I can't see that happening right now).

Gooch is going to be here next year, I don't think there is any doubt about that.

And jeckle..why not? Because this team is based on pitching and defense, you don't throw a guy out there who's never played there before. Anderson right now can at least catch the ball and until he figures it out, that's just fine. Throwing Cintron out there would be one of the dumbest things a team ever did.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
Then we need to trade for a real CF... who's availiable...

And what do we give up for a real CF (like Ken Griffey Jr. I assume you're going to suggest)?

Forget the fact that we're only 12 games into the season as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
And what do we give up for a real CF (like Ken Griffey Jr. I assume you're going to suggest)?

Forget the fact that we're only 12 games into the season as well.

Just give Brian a chance(not directing this at you dbaho), he looks horrible right now but he might just come around and he's talented enough to do so. As long as he can get his average to about .250 and provide some pop then he just has to catch the ball. You can not give up on young, talented players this quick otherwise you end up regretting it. Thank god Kenny hung onto Brandon after his first stint in the show.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
You can not give up on young, talented players this quick otherwise you end up regretting it.

Anyone else see how important this statement is?

Remember last season after Brandon McCarthy was giving up quite a number of homers, quite a few posters felt he was definitely expendable to get a Burnett or Schmidt at the deadline.

Instead we've got a young pitcher who's not making much money at all, and is probably our best bullpen pitcher right now.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
Anyone else see how important this statement is?

Remember last season after Brandon McCarthy was giving up quite a number of homers, quite a few posters felt he was definitely expendable to get a Burnett or Schmidt at the deadline.

Instead we've got a young pitcher who's not making much money at all, and is probably our best bullpen pitcher right now.

I think that's one of the harder things in baseball to do..stay patient with young players. That being said you just have to do it because if you believe in that player, you just can't give up on him after 2 weeks, a month or even a year. It takes different players different amounts of time to grow and become the player they have the potential to be. You give up on a young, talented player this quick and a lot of time it will come back and bite you in the ass.