So is Cintron a starter?

Steve9347

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of Darin Erstad... Solid lefty stick... Above average defensive CF... Veteran with World Series experience... and I bet he could be had for a couple of less then top propects... Hell even from in Owens in you want...

And when he gets injured then what? I'm actually one of the few people on here who likes Darrin but putting him back in cf like the Angels have done is just asking for an injury.

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 11:22 PM)
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of Darin Erstad... Solid lefty stick... Above average defensive CF... Veteran with World Series experience... and I bet he could be had for a couple of less then top propects... Hell even from in Owens in you want...

I bet we couldn't. What the hell else would we give Anaheim? One of our starting pitchers? Brian will be fine. He's just pressing.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)

Erstad's put up a .696 OPS last year, and his splits so far this season are .233/.303/.333.

I wouldn't call him much of an upgrade, and I certainly wouldn't give up Jerry Owens for him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
Anyone else see how important this statement is?

Remember last season after Brandon McCarthy was giving up quite a number of homers, quite a few posters felt he was definitely expendable to get a Burnett or Schmidt at the deadline.

Instead we've got a young pitcher who's not making much money at all, and is probably our best bullpen pitcher right now.

The difference is that Brian Anderson is looking totally lost. He's looking Joe Borchard bad... and thats pretty bad... If we could pry away a Darin Erstad then why not try and do it...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 11:22 PM)

You do realize he will end up on the dl a couple times with a full season in center (awful idea) and he is due nearly nine million this season. Darin erstad is basically living off one career year... and living quite comfy.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
You do realize he will end up on the dl a couple times with a full season in center (awful idea) and he is due nearly nine million this season. Darin erstad is basically living off one career year... and living quite comfy.

I'm not suggesting we absorb his entire salary... But I think he could do us better then Brian at this point...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
The difference is that Brian Anderson is looking totally lost. He's looking Joe Borchard bad... and thats pretty bad... If we could pry away a Darin Erstad then why not try and do it...

You don't think B-Mac was too was he was first up here? Remember that start against Detroit where he gave up a few homers (I remember the Game Thread well that day).

Anderson's not going to look lost forever.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
Ohh and as for the DL you could of said the same thing about Dye 2 years ago...

You never know with injuries...

The difference is Dye actually put up the numbers last season, and Erstad hasn't for a long, long time.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
The difference between him and BMAC is at least BMAC threw a few decent innings before he got in trouble... plus it was always solid offensive teams that did damage to him... like Texas or the Tigers even...

Anderson just looks lost...

These were B-Mac splits when he was 1st up;

May - 2 GS, 6.97 ERA

June - 2 GS, 7.36 ERA

July - 1 GS, 15.00 ERA

I wouldn't call that a few decent innings.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
Ohh and as for the DL you could of said the same thing about Dye 2 years ago...

You never know with injuries...

Dye had something happen to him that can be considered a freak injury... his injury is hard for some players to over come. Erstad on the other hand is basically an injury waiting to happen. Even when erstad is ''healthy'' he is never at 100%.

Erstad, OPS+ last 7 seasons

Qwerty is right, he had one good season and his been living very well off of it. I don't think Erstad is the answer, and Cintron isn't either.

It's BA all the way for me. It's not like I think he's a great player, but I think, over the course of a season he'll be average offense and good defense. That's the book on him, and I take stock in his hundreds of AAA at bats more than a few weeks into his first MLB season for the world champs. He's feeling a lot of pressure no doubt, and while that is no excuse, I think he'll settle into a 240/300/410 line by the All-Star break and play good defense--that's all I think this team needs from CF.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
Look of course i'd rather have a Carlos Beltran, Andruw Jones, Aaron Rowand, hell even Hunter... But i'm trying to think of someone cheap who has some shot of giving us decent defense and an average over .200

We do. His name is Brian Anderson.

You're not going to find many starting CF's who are cheap (and available) in the major leagues in this day and age, and can be productive at the same time. It's the nature of the business.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
Look of course i'd rather have a Carlos Beltran, Andruw Jones, Aaron Rowand, hell even Hunter... But i'm trying to think of someone cheap who has some shot of giving us decent defense and an average over .200

Which will be Anderson in a week.

I have no idea why people think Anderson is a defensive liability.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)

Erstad ain't cheap though.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 11:22 PM)
I think that's one of the harder things in baseball to do..stay patient with young players.  That being said you just have to do it because if you believe in that player, you just can't give up on him after 2 weeks, a month or even a year.  It takes different players different amounts of time to grow and become the player they have the potential to be.  You give up on a young, talented player this quick and a lot of time it will come back and bite you in the ass.

Agreed 100%. I'd take a guy with alot of skills, who was a first round draft pick, who has some tools (avg, speed, power I really do see BA as a 20/20 guy) who has hit in every stop he's made in the minors, who plays solid defense, and who is only 23-24 years old and has a cheap salary.. Why are we even discussing this, by mid May I can guarantee a thread (or someone bringing back this one or another) called "Anderson is GOD" or "Aaron who?"

Batting average is overated as a stat--but honestly--is there any part of you that thinks over 600 PA that BA will not do just that--bat over .200 and play decent defense? There isn't any reason to make a rash trade and send away even more prospects right now.

Rowand44--yep, look at the good teams around the league that don't just buy their talent--the A's, Indians, and Braves come to mind--they all have been patient with their youth, and it's paid off big time.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
I have no idea why people think Anderson is a defensive liability.

Probably because we were so spoiled by Rowand's defense in CF last season I guess. In no way, is Anderson a defensive liability in CF. Any person who's watched him in the minors (e.g Randar) would tell you that.