Iguchi hitting

My Dixie Normus

Last year Iguchi's job was to get Pods over. He did that by either lay down bunts, trying to hit to the right side, swinging at pitches when the steal was on or trying to hit and run. And he did a great job of it. But I always though he was a better hitter than that. With Pods not getting to first as often, Gooch has been able to swing away. He is now hitting .348. It doesn't hurt that the Brawney man is standing in the on deck circle with steam comming out of his nose.

Do you think that as Pods comes around they have Gooch revert back to that role player type of hitter or do they let him swing away as he is now?

Uh, I think that 13 games in--it's a little to early to say that Gooch is now a .348 hitter SOLELY because Pods isn't getting on base.

I'll go on record as saying that this is a silly post and that Iguchi will finish the season batting under .300--no matter what the leadoff hitter does in front of him.

Gooch is a good player, just not a .300 hitter--nothing in his career stats suggests anything to the contrary.

And heck if Gooch hits .300 this year, I'll gladly eat some crow in September. However, it still won't have anything to do with "not giving himself up" for the leadoff hitter.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
Uh, I think that 13 games in--it's a little to early to say that Gooch is now a .348 hitter SOLELY because Pods isn't getting on base. 

I'll go on record as saying that this is a silly post and that Iguchi will finish the season batting under .300--no matter what the leadoff hitter does in front of him.

Gooch is a good player, just not a .300 hitter--nothing in his career stats suggests anything to the contrary.

And heck if Gooch hits .300 this year, I'll gladly eat some crow in September.  However, it still won't have anything to do with "not giving himself up" for the leadoff hitter.

2003 Fukuoka Daiei Hawks .340 27 109 515 175 81 42

2004 Fukuoka Daiei Hawks .333 24 89 510 170 47 18

And it will weigh very heavily on how Pod's plays.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
2003 Fukuoka Daiei Hawks .340 27 109 515 175 81 42

2004 Fukuoka Daiei Hawks .333 24 89 510 170 47 18

And it will weigh very heavily on how Pod's plays.

What league is that again? AAAA? It doesn't exactly translate.

Yeah, just because it was in Japan, it is AAAA. Please, it doesn't make it easy to hit pitchers. Like I said, he can definitely hit .300 in the MLB. Any hitter in the MLB can. You need to have everything click. Look at Ichiro and Hideki Matsui. In his first year in the MLB, he hit .278. And that is not knowing the language, his teammates, and any pitchers. He is bound to improve every year.

And heck if Gooch hits .300 this year, I'll gladly eat some crow in September.  However, it still won't have anything to do with "not giving himself up" for the leadoff hitter.

Uh, that is not what I said. I don't think he is a .348 hitter either. I never said his early success was SOLEY because Pods was struggling. What I am saying is that I think the combination of circumstances (+thome, -Pods) has allowed him to display his true abilities as a pure hitter. I don't think the original intention of his signing was to provide a hitter who can protect a base runner.

Sorry you thought is was silly but it is a perfectly legitimate strategy question, IMO.

You just said it's too early to tell about his average in 13 games. Yet, it is too early to see what Gooch is gonna hit. Maybe you forgot that last season was Iguchi's first year in the majors?!?! He is gonna hit for a higher average this year I'll guarantee you that. And when he's in the league more, he'll know the pitchers, adjust (as he does so well already) and get more hits off them. He looks real steady at the plate more this season, and I doubt he'll strike out 100+ times this year like he did last season. Give him a break though. He was basically a rookie here.

He was basically a rookie here.

See, I don't buy that argument: he's 31 years old this year! Sure, he's a "rookie" in MLB, but the guy has already passed his historical prime for hitters, and while I see him improving upon his .279 by 5 or so points, I don't see him hitting over .300.

As for the "giving himself up" argument--I won't every buy that--and it's a major reason I was way against moving Gooch down in the hopes that he suddenly hits 20 dongs because he isn't "giving himself up".

How often does Gooch bat with a runner on--33% of the time--how often is he "giving himself up" at the plate--10% of the time? Factor in the increased pressure on the defense with a runner on, increased pressure on the pitcher, and I think it mostly evens out.

Anyways, that's just my two thoughts. I'm glad that this hasn't gotten into personal attack time yet--a tribute to everyone involved for sure.

He hit .278 while in the 2 hole while not knowing any pitcher in the league......

I want Gooch down in the lineup.....just how I play it in my franchise......

If he was hitting 6th or 7th I think it is very plausible that he would hit .300 this year.....

but Ozzie does know best

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
See, I don't buy that argument: he's 31 years old this year!  Sure, he's a "rookie" in MLB

You basically just lost me with that statement. And when you say passed his historical prime for hitters, that doesn't get to me whatsoever. We got guys who are 30-35 years old barely making it to the majors now and who were career minor leaguers. You think they hit their "historic prime" as a pitcher or a hitter? I just said he was basically a rookie in MLB. He, Ichiro, Matsui, yada, yada, yada were once here as rookies like it or not. It doesn't matter what age they were. Sure it's a stupid rule but it is what it is. We both at least agree he'll probably hit a higher average this season, but I'm willing to bet he hits .300-.305 very soon. (could even be this season) And for someone who was a power hitter in Japan and had to sacrifice himself to move Pods over or get him in anyway he can as a rookie to THAT position, (in the #2 spot) that was amazing. Like Ozzie said he was our MVP in our line-up like it or not.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
He hit .278 while in the 2 hole while not knowing any pitcher in the league......

I want Gooch down in the lineup.....just how I play it in my franchise......

If he was hitting 6th or 7th I think it is very plausible that he would hit .300 this year.....

but Ozzie does know best

I absolutely do not want him moving down in the order. He would not see the pitches he is seeing today without Thome behind him. Right now they are trying to get him out with fastballs and he is stroking them all over the place. Without Thome behind him, he see more junk. No thanks. Keep him at #2 but let him swing away. This lineup doesn't need to manufacture runs with bunts, hit and runs from the top two.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 12:30 AM)
I absolutely do not want him moving down in the order. He would not see the pitches he is seeing today without Thome behind him. Right now they are trying to get him out with fastballs and he is stroking them all over the place. Without Thome behind him, he see more junk. No thanks. Keep him at #2 but let him swing away. This lineup doesn't need to manufacture runs with bunts, hit and runs from the top two.

Exactly!

This is what a PRESENCE in the lineup does for a team. Thome makes everyone better. Iguchi will see better pitches because pitchers would rather pitch to him, hoping to get him out rather than Thome. Konerko will hit with more men on base because of Thome's amazing OBP. He will come up with bases loaded or men in scoring position more often meaning he will get better pitches. It's a chess game, a chain reaction. If you pitch around Iguchi, Thome, and Konerko, someone will hurt you and a big inning is the result. Thome makes everyone in the lineup better. Soomer or later, Iguchi's good hitting will help Pods out.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
He hit .337 over two seasons in the Japanese league--great.  I don't think the level of competition over there is anything near MLB--despite what Valentine says.

Like I said, If Gooch proves me wrong, I'll gladly eat crow.  I jsut don't expect him to hit over .300 here in MLB.

Its not the same level of competition, sure, but that doesnt mean that everything they do over there doesnt apply. Do we completely dismiss minor league numbers when players make it to the big leagues? Or do we use them to gauge their progression? Ichiro came over to the US and in under 5 years broke the single season hits record. People could see that Ichiro could hit, he just needed to get adjusted to the MLB. Same thing with Iguchi. He is still getting acclimated, but look at the difference in results from last spring to this spring. He knows how pitchers in the MLB pitch to him now and he can adjust much, much better. I think Iguchi is going to hit over .300, especially with a healthy Jim Thome hitting behind him.

Im going to go on record and say that Iguchi is going to serve you up some crow sushi, with a huge side of wasabi to clean your sinuses afterwards ;).

Personally, I think tad's hitting is less dependent on Pods and More on Thome/Konerko.

I feel like since those two have been two of the hottest hitters in the AL, Tad had been seeing a lot of really good pitches... pitchers dont want to put him on base for fear of one of the followers hitting a 2 or 3 run blast.

As long as Tad has the protection of Thome/Kong, anything is possible, and he will be much more comfortable here for his second season... he knows the team mates, the town, and maybe even the language a little better. All things are hard to overcome in the first year.

Just a comparison: If there was a player that was in AAA, and hit .330+ for 2 years straight, and you called him up... would you not say that odds are that player has the potential to hit .300+ in the majors? And since Japan has been deemed AAAA, how does this same mindset seem to go away?

I can very easily see Iguchi being a .300, 25HR kind of guy... but he wont be as long as he has to give up at bats to move the leadoff man along (not that its a bad thing, he is awful good at it).

QUOTE(Spiegle @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
I can very easily see Iguchi being a .300, 25HR kind of guy... but he wont be as long as he has to give up at bats to move the leadoff man along (not that its a bad thing, he is awful good at it).

I am not sure but I think the ball parks are smaller in Japan than they are here. I don't know if 25hrs is in the cards but .300 sure is.

I will put up Gooch's fourth AB tonight as an example. Pods got on and then stole second. Gooch went to the right side and moved Pods to third. If there was no outs, last year Cora calls for a bunt. But Iguchi is such a good hitter he knew to get Pods to third, go the the right side of the field. That is good solid fundimental baseball.

He played the role. But to my original point, if you look at that at bat...

Ball, Pickoff attempt, Pickoff attempt, Ball, Podsednik stole second, Iguchi flied out to right, Podsednik to third.

The pitching was quite different than if no one was on.

Edited by My Dixie Normus