Contreras and Contracts

Gregory Pratt

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=177210

I'd fire that agent. :P

Contreras, Buehrle and McCarthy are the only indispensable pitchers as far as starters go, IMO. I like Garland and Garcia and Vazquez just fine -- Vazquez I'm particularly fond of -- but those three are the best, I think, and Contreras is particularly fierce. I'm happy to have him, but stunned by that piece.

The lack of communication with his agent is appauling, however...

when Contreras says things like "Im a wealthy man already, you guys rescued me, you are family"... it makes me fall in love with the guy all over again.

If what he says is true (which I assume is, why would he say that if he didnt at least sort of mean it?), then he is exactly the type of guy I would want on the team for the rest of his days on the mound (however many that might be... who knows exactly how old the guy is).

QUOTE(Spiegle @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
The lack of communication with his agent is appauling, however...

when Contreras says things like "Im a wealthy man already, you guys rescued me, you are family"... it makes me fall in love with the guy all over again.

If what he says is true (which I assume is, why would he say that if he didnt at least sort of mean it?), then he is exactly the type of guy I would want on the team for the rest of his days on the mound (however many that might be... who knows exactly how old the guy is).

That agent sucks, what a pos

he does have a big heart and a soft spot... such a great person....

the day after a spring training game in 2005 in which he had given up 6 runs in 4 IP.... i told him, "you threw the ball great yesterday Jose, dont worry... your going to do great this year"

the way he looked at me was somewhat shocked and somewhat touched. what i said truly effected him. it was probably unreal for him to go out there and make a dozen or so mistakes and then have a fan tell him he threw the ball well... the last spring training he had in 2004 with the yankees, people were probably hostile with him.

its one of my fondest recent memories.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 01:49 AM)

the day after a spring training game in 2005 in which he had given up 6 runs in 4 IP.... i told him, "you threw the ball great yesterday Jose, dont worry... your going to do great this year"

the way he looked at me was somewhat shocked and somewhat touched. what i said truly effected him. it was probably unreal for him to go out there and make a dozen or so mistakes and then have a fan tell him he threw the ball well... the last spring training he had in 2004 with the yankees, people were probably hostile with him.

You sure he didn't look at you like...."What the f*** are you saying dude? I don't understand English"

QUOTE(hi8is @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 01:49 AM)

Did you say that in Spanish with a heavy Cuban accent?

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)
Right now he's the best pitcher in the AL.

You'd be hardpressed to find a better pitcher in all of the MLB since the ASG of 2005. And we're lucky to have him. Very lucky.

I remember thinking at the time that after Contreras's mess in NYC that he would probably sign a decent but not top of the market deal to stay in Chicago, just because he liked it here so much, and I was really shocked when negotiations fell apart so quickly. Turns out the negotiations were missing the key person and it would have been a done deal if it were done correctly.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
The impressive thing about Contreras right now is that I don't even think he's close to having his great forkball yet.  I went home and watched the tape of the game last night, and he was mowing hitters down with his sidearm fastball/slider.

since changing his delivery to a three-quarter angle in late July made a believer of Royals designated hitter Mike Sweeney.

"[Contreras] was dirty," he said. "Guys were coming back and shaking their heads. He was throwing his fastball at 95 m.p.h. from the side with his slider and 95 [m.p.h.] over the top with his [split-finger fastball]."

When he starts nailing that forkball again, this league doesnt stand a chance.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 12:11 AM)
Tru,

The haha is at the experts who said that some how the White Sox lost that deal.

Ah to be an expert.

I don't know what kind of "expert" would say that one of the best Cuban pitchers of his generation is inferior to somebody who has only had one really good year at the major-league level.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
He's going to have a shot at the Cy Young...no doubt...

I love this guy, too, but unfortunately I think that the East Coast Bias will end up favoring either Beckett or Schilling and the West Coast group will be in love with the best of the A's pitchers.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
I love this guy, too, but unfortunately I think that the East Coast Bias will end up favoring either Beckett or Schilling and the West Coast group will be in love with the best of the A's pitchers.

Schilling and Beckett won't pitch enough to win the cy young.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)

Easy Mike North. It's not like Contreras is putting up these numbers for the Royals. The country, sportswriters residing on the East coast included, saw the Sox ride Contreras to a WS title last year. If he can continue putting up the numbers he's put up since last August, he'll be in as good of contention as anyone for a Cy Young.