Pierzynski and Balco

Gregory Pratt

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...SPG0K5ATIC1.DTL

Kent said he doesn't think the seven players to testify in the BALCO case -- Bonds, Gary Sheffield, Jason and Jeremy Giambi, Benito Santiago, Bobby Estalella and Armando Rios (A.J. Pierzynski was subpoenaed but didn't testify) -- will face punishment. It appears the only way the government would go after a player is if he perjured himself.

Why was AJ subpoenaed? Did anyone suspect him of steroid use on a serious level, or was it because of the one season he was with the Giants?

I thought that was odd as hell and left me a little surprised. Someone shed some light.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)
thats dissapointing

It really, really is. I'm not saying he did it (which I doubt he did) but just to have your name speculated isn't good at all. Just at the wrong place at the wrong time (SF clubhouse) type thing.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...SPG0K5ATIC1.DTL

Why was AJ subpoenaed? Did anyone suspect him of steroid use on a serious level, or was it because of the one season he was with the Giants?

I thought that was odd as hell and left me a little surprised. Someone shed some light.

Does it have anything to do with him being in the Giants clubhouse that year?

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
thats dissapointing

First, don't jump to conclusions. Second, don't be naive about which players did roids, and which didn't. EVERY team in baseball had players that were on the juice a few years ago. AJP wasn't on the Sox then, so I don't really care if he was on them or not.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 06:52 PM)
First, don't jump to conclusions.  Second, don't be naive about which players did roids, and which didn't.  EVERY team in baseball had players that were on the juice a few years ago.  AJP wasn't on the Sox then, so I don't really care if he was on them or not.

I'm not saying he did it, but its still disappointing to have a player on the team who was once possibly associated with balco

however as a sox player he's great, and as long as he is clean now who cares

I just don't like seeing any of our sox guys put in bad positions or anything

I'm not saying he was on them... However, if we assume he was on them prior to last year and further assume he was not on them last year because other wise he would have been caught, then it's very interesting that his HR total was at its highest during the "clean" year.

I think it's safe to say that two of the biggest reasons that AJP had his highest homer total were his change in approach at the plate (went from a gap hitter to more of a home run hitter) and that he was playing at a homer's park (compared to San Fran, which plays very deep).

I am saying that I didn't even have a clue he'd been subpoenaed, and I didn't know there was any connection. I didn't jump to a sole conclusion, personally, and the fact that my post is a genuine inquiry and not any sort of conclusion or attack is clear.

Given that he didn't testify, I'd like to know why, along with the summons. ::shrug:: If anyone knows, let us know.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
I am saying that I didn't even have a clue he'd been subpoenaed, and I didn't know there was any connection. I didn't jump to a sole conclusion, personally, and the fact that my post is a genuine inquiry and not any sort of conclusion or attack is clear.

Given that he didn't testify, I'd like to know why, along with the summons. ::shrug:: If anyone knows, let us know.

How'd you even come across this, being it's 2 years old?

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
I think it's safe to say that two of the biggest reasons that AJP had his highest homer total were his change in approach at the plate (went from a gap hitter to more of a home run hitter) and that he was playing at a homer's park (compared to San Fran, which plays very deep).

yeah not to mention, he was 28 last year which is ideal time for a hitter to start to develop most of his power

What could have happened is he got supoenead because he had a lot of issues with the guys in that locker room. Who better to talk to than someone who wouldn't want to protect any of them? Of course with the other names on that list, I really don't know for sure. I do know that he looks the same today as he always has unlike many of the questionable players.

I'm much more concerned with his falling BA and OBP. I don't think this is really anything that says either way whether he did 'roids or didn't.

Personally I think roid usage isn't the worst thing in the world, but it certainly takes away from the integrity of the game. If he did 'roids fine--it sure didn't help him hit many balls out during his time in SF--when he was batting over .300 but hitting very few homers.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
I'm much more concerned with his falling BA and OBP.  I don't think this is really anything that says either way whether he did 'roids or didn't. 

Personally I think roid usage isn't the worst thing in the world, but it certainly takes away from the integrity of the game. If he did 'roids fine--it sure didn't help him hit many balls out during his time in SF--when he was batting over .300 but hitting very few homers.

Look at what is happening in this thread. We have several AJ fans speculating on if he did or if he didn't. It will be this that changes the status quo. When enough clean players see thier rep smudged because they played along side someone who did, the players will put the heat on the union and get it cleaned up.

A subpoena is simply a legal mandate to appear in court. It does not consitute a charge of any kind, nor any sort of guilt. Witnesses can be serviced a subpoena.

There's nothing to worry about until there is something to worry about.