Greg Maddux

Gregory Pratt

Another quality performance from the 40-year-old Greg Maddux. He shuts down the Cardinal offense and improves to 4-0. First time in his career that he wins the first four starts of the season. Very impressive because you would think that such feat would have occurred before.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
He's that one pitcher who gets his ass handed to him in the playoffs on a consistent basis.

And who wins Gold Gloves on a consistent basis, sprinkled with the occasional Cy Youngs? ;)

Another good game by Maddux today. :)

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
LaRussa asked for the umpire to inspect the baseball. Bob Brenly was saying that when he was manager in Arizona, he had a collection of baseballs Maddux threw and didn't find any of them doctored or anything. All you see Maddux do is lick his fingers

Would you expect Brenly to say anything else?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
I root for Maddux every start (Unless he's going against the Sox).  I absolutely love the way he pitches.

Maddux used to be one of my favorite pitchers in baseball basically for the same reason, I love pitchers like him. I'm not sure exactly why but I just started to dislike the guy(still love the way he pitches) for some reason and this was before he went to the Cubs.

By the way, I jsut want to say, I could give two s***s what he does to get the movement on the ball. Pitchers throughout history (and most of the greats) having been doing it forever.

I know some people would say (well whats the difference between that and steroids) and I say one doesn't have the side effects. Plus the other isn't necessarily illegal, its just shady persay.

Savvy pitchers doctor up balls and I hope when Buehrle gets older he'll do what it takes to give him the extra advantage. I know Orel Hershisher added years to his career by junking up the ball.

I consider that part of the game and an extra strategy.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
Maddux used to be one of my favorite pitchers in baseball basically for the same reason, I love pitchers like him.  I'm not sure exactly why but I just started to dislike the guy(still love the way he pitches) for some reason and this was before he went to the Cubs.

Just like I love Buehrle and watching him pitch. I like watching guys who just dissect the opposition, play great defense and do all the little things. Its got an old school mentality in a sense.

Mulder is another guy that I like to watch pitch. I like quick working pitchers that throw strikes, work quick, and just have a total gameplan when they are on the mound.

I also absolutely LOVE Pedro Martinez and how he pitches (especially when he was in his prime).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
Just like I love Buehrle and watching him pitch.  I like watching guys who just dissect the opposition, play great defense and do all the little things.  Its got an old school mentality in a sense. 

Mulder is another guy that I like to watch pitch.  I like quick working pitchers that throw strikes, work quick, and just have a total gameplan when they are on the mound. 

I also absolutely LOVE Pedro Martinez and how he pitches (especially when he was in his prime).

Yup, I love pitchers who just know how to pitch, who don't necessarily have the best stuff but know wat the f*** they're doing out there.

Pedro in his prime is the best pitcher I've ever seen.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
Yup, I love pitchers who just know how to pitch, who don't necessarily have the best stuff but know wat the f*** they're doing out there. 

Pedro in his prime is the best pitcher I've ever seen.

Fully agree. I remember back when he was at his best, any time he was pitching (whether it was at Dodger stadium or the Pads park) I'd make sure to drive down and watch him. Pretty much every night you had a shot at seeing something historic.

The most dominant pitcher of our ERA, imo. Although thats not to hold anything against Clemens. For Clemens to hold up as long as he has. Just think about everyone who thought he was done when he left Boston.