AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!!!!!&#

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
No love for BMAC yet... He dominated out of the pen...

It's almost expected that he will do that nowadays, which is a great sign.

Garland pitched well but still isnt in 05 form

Nope, but he did keep the ball down WAY better tonight than his first 2 starts and had much better control. Other than the pitch to Teahan which was deposited in the bleachers, Garland kept the ball down very well and as long as he does that and has his control, he will avoid the free baserunners and get a lot of ground balls, which puts him in a great spot to do well.

Another subtle thing was Ozzie. Garland had only pitched 6 and a third and had a mid 80's pitch count, but Ozzie took him out. Normally I'd be against that, but tonight was a perfect spot to do it, BMac hadn't pitched in several days so he needed the work (and looked great) and Ozzie got Jon out with a guaranteed QS and a great shot to win (and only win) the game, a big confidence boost.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 03:04 AM)
All great points.  Brian Anderson's walk was by far the best at-bat I've seen out of him all year long.  He still got himself behind in the count, but then he shortened his swing, fought off a few decent pitches and worked himself a walk.  At this point, that's serious progress.  Pods has surprised me with his baserunning ability.  I figured his hitting would come around, but he's actually stolen three bases in a row without getting caught.  I don't think he's done that since July of last year.  But still, I don't want him to force it.  His presence on base is often enough of a distraction to the pitcher, let our 2-4 bring him home, especially while they are hot.

Garland was good, although he was helped out by a poor hitting Royals club.  If he pitched that same game against Cleveland, he wouldn't have left in the seventh allowing only one run.  But still, it was a strong step in the right direction.

All in all, another solid game, against a team that we need to nab as many victories from as possible, because everyone else in our division will.

I shudder to see that we all praise this kid for doing the simplest of things...whenever he gets to the plate its a countdown to K...soon people will be bringing K signs to the cell for Brian anderson, not the pitchers. He got on base (ONCE) against kansas city. 2 in two games...and how many k's did he also have? At least get the ball in play...we might as well just say he's out before he even gets to the plate.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 04:10 AM)
:crying  :crying  :crying  :crying

You're as bad a Jeckle...

yes you're right...Brian Anderson is doing great...he's done a wonderful job of helping this team get off to the start we've had. I should not be worried at all about how our CF is so godawful that its almost fun for me to watch how fast he can strikeout...i mean in all honesty if he could go up against buerhle he'd be sitting down before anyone noticed.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 04:05 AM)
I shudder to see that we all praise this kid for doing the simplest of things...whenever he gets to the plate its a countdown to K...soon people will be bringing K signs to the cell for Brian anderson, not the pitchers. He got on base (ONCE) against kansas city. 2 in two games...and how many k's did he also have? At least get the ball in play...we might as well just say he's out before he even gets to the plate.

the kid has to learn. and drawing a walk in a tough situation is a good learning experience. the biggest thing with BA is PATIENCE right now.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 04:16 AM)
Or Felix Hernandez.

If Brian was as bad as you make him out to be(or half this board),he wouldnt be in CF for the Sox, plain and simple. He is a rookie in a slump, trying to find himself at the plate.

See, us homers who dont give up on players after the 1st week like to see improvement with the players the Sox, and B.A. with a solid AB late in the ballgame was a good sign. Im sorry its fun for you to watch him K.

fixed for accuracy

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 04:12 AM)
yes you're right...Brian Anderson is doing great...he's done a wonderful job of helping this team get off to the start we've had. I should not be worried at all about how our CF is so godawful that its almost fun for me to watch how fast he can strikeout...i mean in all honesty if he could go up against buerhle he'd be sitting down before anyone noticed.

there's a big difference from being a bench player to an every day MLB player.

Hang the f***er, he's had two weeks and sucked. TRADE FOR GRIFFEY, but WHERE WOULD HE PLAY?

because you implied that i wasn't a fan because I criticised our starting center fielder for not only batting like .126 or some absurd number with no history that he WILL turn it around, but he's not even able to put wood on the ball *well, he is great at fouling off the first 2 pitches and K'ing quickly on the third*...if i admire him for one thing is that he pulls the bandaid off quickly...something like 5 k's against royals pitching? ye gods

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)

It's the second week of the season, broseph. That's a little early to give up on a rookie. He's produced at every level he's played at so far, he will eventually get a respectable batting average for the bottom of the order in the majors. More importantly, he needs to continue to play strong defense, which outside of one game, he has.

And when this is the benefit of Anderson starting, you deal with a slow start.

Thome .341/.526/.927

Thomas .171/.244/.439

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 05:21 AM)
It's the second week of the season, broseph.  That's a little early to give up on a rookie.  He's produced at every level he's played at so far, he will eventually get a respectable batting average for the bottom of the order in the majors.  More importantly, he needs to continue to play strong defense, which outside of one game, he has.

And when this is the benefit of Anderson starting, you deal with a slow start.

Thome .341/.526/.927

Thomas  .171/.244/.439

the bolded is irrelevant...

its not just that he's hitting .1 whatever...its that he's not even putting the ball in play. I mean jose valentin struck out a lot and had a low average but i don't ever remember being so confident that a kid would strike out as i did with anderson. I mean when Crede came up he had a lot of the same opportunities as BA does...bases loaded a lot...and he didn't get the job done but he was making contact...giving that tiny chance that something good can come out of it. BA is a waste of space right now. ... the kids not even close...

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
the bolded is irrelevant...

its not just that he's hitting .1 whatever...its that he's not even putting the ball in play. I mean jose valentin struck out a lot and had a low average but i don't ever remember being so confident that a kid would strike out as i did with anderson. I mean when Crede came up he had a lot of the same opportunities as BA does...bases loaded a lot...and he didn't get the job done but he was making contact...giving that tiny chance that something good can come out of it. BA is a waste of space right now. ... the kids not even close...

It's absolutely relevant. Anderson is a byproduct of having Jim Thome in the lineup. If we didn't get Jim Thome and only half of his contract, we'd likely have Frank Thomas.

It's also ridiculous for you to give up on Anderson so quickly. Yeah he's looked bad so far. But it's his second week. At least wait until the second month until he officially becomes a waste of space.

And for the record, I don't see a difference between Bad Crede's weak infield pop-ups and Anderson's K's. But we accepted Crede's poor batting average and never-ending string of weak pop ups with men on base because he kept up his end of the bargain on defense, and eventually he became one of our best clutch hitters.

But you're ready to give up on Anderson after two weeks...that's a calm, rational decision.

I dunno.

I see a good player inside Brian Anderson. I have just also seen that he can't handle a major league breaking ball yet. Due to that, he's behind the fastball, and can't do s*** with it. Looks a little bit intimidated at this point.

Walker needs to get with him and just have him work it out. Whether it be extra time in the cage, watching some tape, or perhaps even sitting...whatever...just stick with him. The Sox offense is clicking as a whole right now, the pitching is starting to come around on all front's...I think the Sox can handle 1 bad hitter in the lineup...they dealt with 2-3 last year pretty much year long, and that turned out well.

JMHO of course

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
We all sometimes take for granted the spot the Sox are in right now. We have the 4th highest payroll in the MLB, are defending champs, have the best staff in the league, and basically have one below average hitter right now in Anderson. With Thome on board, along with a few others having great starts to the season, the Sox are able to get by with a rookie still finding himself at the plate.

I love this team.

What I think will be fun is when the rest of the team is starting to struggle and come down a little bit and BA will be hitting the hell out of the ball come midsummer. If there is anything BA has proved in the minors, he has proved to be a quick learner, making the proper adjustments sooner rather than later. I have a feeling he's going to be getting some big hits for the Sox this year.

I too love this team...you will not find a looser team mentally, nor will you find a deeper team than this. This team is friggin amazing.

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 05:58 AM)
It's absolutely relevant.  Anderson is a byproduct of having Jim Thome in the lineup.  If we didn't get Jim Thome and only half of his contract, we'd likely have Frank Thomas.

It's also ridiculous for you to give up on Anderson so quickly.  Yeah he's looked bad so far.  But it's his second week.  At least wait until the second month until he officially becomes a waste of space.

And for the record, I don't see a difference between Bad Crede's weak infield pop-ups and Anderson's K's.  But we accepted Crede's poor batting average and never-ending string of weak pop ups with men on base because he kept up his end of the bargain on defense, and eventually he became one of our best clutch hitters.

But you're ready to give up on Anderson after two weeks...that's a calm, rational decision.

How does Thomes stats have anything to do with whether Brian Anderson is ready to be the starting center fielder at the present time? I mean, we'd be better off with our pitcher batting ninth...buerhle would be a better hitter than anderson at this point...how sad is that?

To me...putting the ball in play is a far more productive out than striking out. It leaves that small chance...a collision, the sun in the eyes...of something good to come of it...it puts the pressure on the defense. And with crede we were not exactly defending champions...he was brought up at the end of another clear 2nd-3rd place finish...not exactly defending world champions. I don't know how much time we can waste giving the other team 4 free outs and only batting with 8 guys. especially with 1 being pods.

but go ahead...praise brian anderson walking...and getting on base 2 in 2 games against the vaunted Royals pitching staff...( i swear its like you might live on the northside)

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 12:43 AM)
How does Thomes stats have anything to do with whether Brian Anderson is ready to be the starting center fielder at the present time? I mean, we'd be better off with our pitcher batting ninth...buerhle would be a better hitter than anderson at this point...how sad is that?

To me...putting the ball in play is a far more productive out than striking out. It leaves that small chance...a  collision, the sun in the eyes...of something good to come of it...it puts the pressure on the defense. And with crede we were not exactly defending champions...he was brought up at the end of another clear 2nd-3rd place finish...not exactly defending world champions. I don't know how much time we can waste giving the other team 4 free outs and only batting with 8 guys. especially with 1 being pods.

but go ahead...praise brian anderson walking...and getting on base 2 in 2 games against the vaunted Royals pitching staff...( i swear its like you might live on the northside)

Pods is starting to get on base so I'm not sure where you have been lately. Are you saying that because we're the defending champs we can't break in young players? What do you suggest? Should we spend some more money, is being 4th in the majors in payroll not good enough? The guy has played 11 games this year and you've given up on him, that's ridiculous. You don't give up on a rookie that quick.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 06:46 AM)
Pods is starting to get on base so I'm not sure where you have been lately.  Are you saying that because we're the defending champs we can't break in young players?  What do you suggest?  Should we spend some more money, is being 4th in the majors in payroll not good enough?  The guy has played 11 games this year and you've given up on him, that's ridiculous.  You don't give up on a rookie that quick.

I'm saying i don't need to coddle anderson and give him a cookie and pat his head for getting a walk and going 0-3 with K's against the goddamn royals. But hey...i like cleveland what do i know...