Jenks

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 02:25 AM)
His stuff IMO looks as good as I've ever seen it.  As much as I still have some bullpen concerns, he sure as hell isn't one of them.

Kudos to Bobby for working himself back into form and stay healthy!  :headbang

His stuff was amazing in the World Series last year. He's still trying to get a feel on his curve, as it's very inconsistent. However, I'm very impressed with his control recently.

On a side note, last I checked, his listed weight was at 280 on WhiteSox.com, up from 275 last year. I realize that's part of his "charm", but if he comes in overweight (relatively) again next year, it'll be an even bigger problem.

QUOTE(SoxRock05 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 12:20 AM)
5 for 5 guys....if you are going to complain, at least do it when he is struggling....he is working into his groove and doing it in good fashion.

GiYea!!

So we can't say a guy's overweight and needs to control it just because he's doing well?

Oh k.

By the time he realizes he needs to lose weight, he may not have enough arm or back left to pitch in the majors.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 09:03 AM)
What was the pitch he was throwing at 87 mph last night?  Was that a change or a flat slider?

That was an incorrect radar reading is what that was. They didn't clock him on any other pitch, and when they did, it was a four-seam fastball at 87mph? I think not.

I don't know if it's possible, but, that could actually have been the speed of the ball coming off the bat, because, that was not an 87mph pitch.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 10:05 AM)
That was an incorrect radar reading is what that was.  They didn't clock him on any other pitch, and when they did, it was a four-seam fastball at 87mph?  I think not.

I don't know if it's possible, but, that could actually have been the speed of the ball coming off the bat, because, that was not an 87mph pitch.

I saw it twice actually, which is why I asked about it. It didn't seem to really move, that's why I couldn't figure it out.

On that note, a group of us were having this discussion last night, and I came to the conclusion that if Jenks gets rid of his slider, develops a changeup and continues to throw upwards of 95mph, he can be the best closer in baseball within the next year and a half.

I don't like a guy with that much arm torque using a slider which can be very rough on the arm, especially in a power-pitcher like he is. If he can develop a changeup, throw upwards of 95mph on a four-seamer and use that mean hook to a) get over for a first-pitch strike and b ) use as an out pitch, this guy can be one of the best, if not the best in baseball.

...and this is not the homer in me speaking. I really believe that.

I think he is almost there. Control? Check. Hard curve? Check. Heat? Well, just about. He is at 97 now which is eye popping. But it ain't no 101 yet. Last night I saw a great hopping fastball, but I didn't see the inhuman fastball he had in the WS. That was a Ryan fastball; and I haven't seen one of those since Ryan.

Once he gets all his strength, and consistently controls his hook, I think he already has what it takes to be elite (assuming his head stays screwed on straight). Last year I am sure opposing teams and fans, well, lets say took the Lord's name in vain when they first saw what this horse could do.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan