McCarthy - Shades of Carrie Woods?

knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 02:54 AM)
BMAC has such a wild, violent motion; do you think that it could get him into trouble elbow/arm wise someday like what happened to Wood?

It's not the motion which causes problems, it's your arm motion on the pitch/follow-thru. Wood always threw across his body, and put a tremendous amount of torque on his elbow with his slider. McCarthy's overhand curve shouldn't put as much stress on his arm.

QUOTE(Jim Spencer @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
Brandon doesn't throw as hard a Wood, either.  I think that, along with Wood's mechanics are what's keeping him on the DL every year.  :gosoxretro:

Doesn't matter how hard he throws. Bmac's mechanics are actually pretty damn good, and as fathom mentioned, he doesn't throw a pitch that's hard on his arm like the cross the body slider that Wood throws.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
Doesn't matter how hard he throws.  Bmac's mechanics are actually pretty damn good, and as fathom mentioned, he doesn't throw a pitch that's hard on his arm like the cross the body slider that Wood throws.

Wood was also abused by his high school baseball coaches during a crucial time in his physical development. Certaintly his awkward mechanics didn't help avoid arm issues.

Personally, I've always considered Garcia's pitching motion violent, but he's yet to experience any significant arm injuries.

Conditioning plays an important role in maintaining arm strength. We appear to have this concept down well. I wouldn't be concerned with McCarthy.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
Wood was also abused by his high school baseball coaches during a crucial time in his physical development. Certaintly his awkward mechanics didn't help avoid arm issues.

Personally, I've always considered Garcia's pitching motion violent, but he's yet to experience any significant arm injuries.

Conditioning plays an important role in maintaining arm strength. We appear to have this concept down well. I wouldn't be concerned with McCarthy.

Very well said. Also, McCarthy does have a pretty violent motion, but has a WAY WAY WAY more mechincally sound followthrough than Wood, and the followthrough IMO is the whole reason Wood has so many problems.

BMAC has a lot of torque on his arm at his release point, but his follow-through appears a lot more fluid then Kerry Wood, at least from what I can recall. I'm no expert, but I think that the release point and followthrough (how the energy is directed, ie shoulder, arm, elbow, etc) will determine "injury" issues, and BMAC seems to have a pretty level followthrough.

For pitchers, everything starts with the elbow and how high up you get it while pitching. It is not necessary for a pirtcher to throw overhand but it is vital to get your elbow up over your shoulder level. I have experienced this first hand. I had times where I couldn't straighten my arm for weeks.

Whenever you see a pitcher falling off the mound, throwing across his body, or dragging his arm through the motions, he is destined for arm trouble.

Best example I can think of at the moment is Greg Maddux, and for numerous reasons. He gets his elbow up above shoulder lever, minimizing torque on the arm, he doesn't drag through, instead, letting his arm follow his body, anf his followthrough is flawless, landing square to the plate. He also has a very long stride out, which helps with the routne of arms slots and of squaring up.

t1_maddux_all_01.jpg

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 04:24 AM)
For pitchers, everything starts with the elbow and how high up you get it while pitching. It is not necessary for a pirtcher to throw overhand but it is vital to get your elbow up over your shoulder level. I have experienced this first hand. I had times where I couldn't straighten my arm for weeks.

Whenever you see a pitcher falling off the mound, throwing across his body, or dragging his arm through the motions, he is destined for arm trouble.

Best example I can think of at the moment is Greg Maddux, and for numerous reasons. He gets his elbow up above shoulder lever, minimizing torque on the arm, he doesn't drag through, instead, letting his arm follow his body, anf his followthrough is flawless, landing square to the plate. He also has a very long stride out, which helps with the routne of arms slots and of squaring up.

t1_maddux_all_01.jpg

great post...

I assume the submarine motion would be an exception due to how its released?

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
It's not the motion which causes problems, it's your arm motion on the pitch/follow-thru.  Wood always threw across his body, and put a tremendous amount of torque on his elbow with his slider.  McCarthy's overhand curve shouldn't put as much stress on his arm.

Plus he's primarly a FB, Changeup pitcher and both of those pitches are not known for putting added stress on your arm (well not like a slider and other power breaking balls).

I think Bmac will be just fine, plus I dont' think he has a violent delivery.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 11:43 PM)
great post...

I assume the submarine motion would be an exception due to how its released?

Side-arm and submarine motions are exempt in most cases because the arm is not [as] bent when pitching. It's more of a straight arm motion while 3/4 and overhand pitchers have a lot more bend in their elbows, putting more pressure on it. The wrist coincides with the elbow as well. Pitchers who snap their wrists when throwing pitches often have a lot of stress on their elbows because of the reaction to the wrist snap.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
I think Bmac will be just fine, plus I dont' think he has a violent delivery.

He used to though. I believe Coop worked with him a little last year. This is a picture of his delivery after the release from ST 2005:

t1_mccarthy.jpg

Obviously, this is a curveball. The snap of the wrist causes a jerk-reaction on the elbow. Clearly, he is dragging his arm because his arm is compensating for the open shoulders. That is what is really causing the torque on the arm.

Now, his entire motion is smoother. He does a bitof a dip when he throws, which helps him get his elbow up higher, causing less drag and a smoother release...

FCOuu5aM.jpg

It's also worth noting that you can't tell everything about a pitcher and his ability to stay healthy just from looking at their delivery.

Back in 2003, everyone on the north side was saying that Prior would certainly stay healthier than Wood, because Prior had a better delivery - he led with his legs and didn't put as much stress on his arm. Then Dusty Baker got his claws on Prior, and we all know how that ended.

If BMac stays healthy, he's got a good bit of help from his coach, who actually knows how to use pitchers without destroying them.

Just out of curiousity, don't pitchers who throw with more of an overhand motion, rather than 3/4, also put more stress on their shoulders? The reason I ask is that I tend to use more of an overhand motion in my intramural softball league (the ball doesn't sail on me as much). By the time we get to the playoffs and are playing 4 or 5 games per week, I usually have to drop down and throw sidearm because my shoulder is weak and aching.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
Just out of curiousity, don't pitchers who throw with more of an overhand motion, rather than 3/4, also put more stress on their shoulders?  The reason I ask is that I tend to use more of an overhand motion in my intramural softball league (the ball doesn't sail on me as much).  By the time we get to the playoffs and are playing 4 or 5 games per week, I usually have to drop down and throw sidearm because my shoulder is weak and aching.

Overhand pitching in a softball league???

Or are you talking about throwing the ball as a fielder?

Edited by Iwritecode

Bmac puts a lot of stress on his arm when he throws; he doe not use his legs much. After 2-5 good years I would like for us to trade him, because I don’t think he will have a long career. I think we will be able to get a lot for him. Just my humble opinion. His delivery reminds me a bid of black jack.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
Overhand pitching in a softball league???

Or are you talking about throwing the ball as a fielder?

Throwing as a fielder. All of those throws from deep CF take a toll on my old arm. :P

QUOTE(whitem0nkey @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
Bmac puts a lot of stress on his arm when he throws; he doe not use his legs much. After 2-5 good years I would like for us to trade him, because I don’t think he will have a long career. I think we will be able to get a lot for him. Just my humble opinion. His delivery reminds me a bid of black jack.

Wow. I am going to have to disagree with you here, big time. BMac's motion is very fluid and smooth. Like I said earlier, it wasn't last year. He haz minimized the torque on his arm by keeping his elbow above the shoulder and by not overthrowing. The dip in his motion is a really big help to. My varsity coach tells any pitcher who has a herk-jerky motion to do a little dip when the come to their balance point so it keep's everything working in cohesion.

It is also quite a bad idea to trade a pitcher just because you THINK he will have arm problems. What if he becomes a stud? Too bad, he might have shoulder problems. :rolly