Mark Buehrle Contract Talk

DBAHO

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
KW is supposed to be the GM. He doesn't wear a uniform. He is a front office guy. He doesn't need to talk about every issue. I like Kenny and how outspoken he is, but he needs to go up to his office for a few weeks and shut it.

:cheers :cheers :cheers

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
This kind of sounds exactly like how the Garland and Contreras stuff started and what do you know..we got 3 year deals done with both.

Yeah, I'm not going to lose a second of sleep over this. We still have him for basically 2 full baseball seasons. A lot can change over that period of time.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
5 years $50 million?  Mark would laugh at that contract, and justifiably so.  When all is said and done, Mark Buehrle is looking at a deal in the $15 million/yr range, not $10mil.  Chicago might be able to get him in the $13-14 range just for a home town discount, but if he hits the FA market, he is looking at 5/75, and maybe a 6-7 year deal.  s*** an injury prone Burnett just got 5-55, Mark is looking at much more being a lefty and never missing any starts.

Asolutely ! I will defer to my son Zoom but think he's worth the 5/65 range!!!

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
Something tells me if we let Mark walk after 07, this board would literally explode. There will be a fire wherever the server is.

I don't know about that. If he's completely healthy for the next two years, he'll have seven straight seasons of 220+ innings of wear and tear on his arm. Is it woth a $70-$85 million gamble that he'll be the next Tom Glavine?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
I don't know about that.  If he's completely healthy for the next two years, he'll have seven straight seasons of 220+ innings of wear and tear on his arm.  Is it woth a $70-$85 million gamble that he'll be the next Tom Glavine?

As of right now, with that scenario, yes, he's worth the gamble.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 10:01 AM)
As of right now, with that scenario, yes, he's worth the gamble.

I love the fact that he's still among the Top 10 in IP with only 83 pitches per start.

I don't disagree with you, but I think it's definitely something that KW has to consider. I'd be disappointed for sure, but would at least understand if he let Buehrle walk after the '07 season.

That said, if I were KW, I'd trade Garcia this winter and try to get a five-year deal done with Mark.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
I don't disagree with you, but I think it's definitely something that KW has to consider.  If I were him, I'd trade Garcia this winter and try to get a five-year deal done with Mark.

I deleted that second part out of my post after I remembered Opening Nite. :bang

I also agree, Garcia would likely be the one to be dealt, although I would have moved Garland this winter when his value was sky high. Of course, if that was the case, he'd probably be sitting at something like 27 innings without giving up a hit to spite us. :)

I could see a 5 year deal for Mark but not for many others.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
I don't disagree with you, but I think it's definitely something that KW has to consider.  If I were him, I'd trade Garcia this winter and try to get a five-year deal done with Mark.

If you trade Garcia to keep Buehrle, then who fills the Garcia spot? Isn't Garcia our #3?

Assuming:

1: Buehrle

2: Contreras

3: Garcia

4: Garland

5: Vasquez

I know Garland was more like #2 first half last year, but Contreras since 2nd half has been at least #2 if not #1 (this year too).

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
If you trade Garcia to keep Buehrle, then who fills the Garcia spot?  Isn't Garcia our #3?

Brandon McCarthy? I'm assuming that any starter would be dealt for bullpen help, so BMac could be moved into the bullpen without a problem.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
I don't disagree with you, but I think it's definitely something that KW has to consider.  I'd be disappointed for sure, but would at least understand if he let Buehrle walk after the '07 season.

That said, if I were KW, I'd trade Garcia this winter and try to get a five-year deal done with Mark.

Given Ozzie's relationship with Freddy, it's going to be a hard sell for KW to trade Garcia.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
Given Ozzie's relationship with Freddy, it's going to be a hard sell for KW to trade Garcia.

Hate to admit it, but I agree that Oz will play the family card. Especially if they make the post season again.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
Hate to admit it, but I agree that Oz will play the family card. Especially if they make the post season again.

Which is why I believe Vazquez will be the odd man out.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
I don't know about that.  If he's completely healthy for the next two years, he'll have seven straight seasons of 220+ innings of wear and tear on his arm.  Is it woth a $70-$85 million gamble that he'll be the next Tom Glavine?

I'm not even saying that it will be the White Sox paying it... You gotta realize there are 29 other teams that are creaming their jeans with the thought of Mark Buehrle in their rotation, and Mark, Kenny, and the rest of MLB knows it. Going strictly off of Marks history, and the contracts that pitchers of much more questionable standards have gotten, I have zero doubt that if Mark Buehrle were to become a free agent tomorrow, he would have a 5 year $75 million contract in his back pocket by Friday.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
I don't disagree with you, but I think it's definitely something that KW has to consider.  I'd be disappointed for sure, but would at least understand if he let Buehrle walk after the '07 season.

I'd imagine that would be KW's favorite scenario. Trade a starter not named Bmac, Contreras, or Buehrle, and then give Buerhle his big extention with the money saved from the trade. Get good cheap talent in the trade.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
Brandon McCarthy?  I'm assuming that any starter would be dealt for bullpen help, so BMac could be moved into the bullpen without a problem.

The problem with that is then our bullpen becomes more questionable. Right now, McCarthy is doing great in filling Hermanson's shoes as the "glue-guy" in the bullpen. We lose a lot when McCarthy goes to the rotation.

Maybe it's just me, but this reads like bad journalism from the sun-times. They frame the story as if KW's pissed/frustrated/impatient, but I see nothing in his quote to suggest he's pissed off. Zip. And Buehrle's already made it clear he was just goofing around. Furthermore, KW says Mark embodies everything the Sox are trying to be about.

:huh

this is a non-story and a bad case of misleading the reader.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
The problem with that is then our bullpen becomes more questionable. Right now, McCarthy is doing great in filling Hermanson's shoes as the "glue-guy" in the bullpen. We lose a lot when McCarthy goes to the rotation.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
Brandon McCarthy?  I'm assuming that any starter would be dealt for bullpen help, so BMac could be moved into the bullpen without a problem.

(by bullpen, I meant rotation :P)

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
(by bullpen, I meant rotation :P)

Oh, right, I got that. I'm just saying that McCarthy's been pretty awesome coming out of the pen this year and I'm afraid if we move him into the rotation that we're going to lose quite a bit.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)

Possibly. Then again, Ozzie isn't the GM. I'm sure that KW has talked to Ozzie about separating business from family in the past.

It'll depend on how Vazquez does this year. If he doesn't meet expectations, he'll likely be the one traded.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
I'm not even saying that it will be the White Sox paying it... You gotta realize there are 29 other teams that are creaming their jeans with the thought of Mark Buehrle in their rotation, and Mark, Kenny, and the rest of MLB knows it.  Going strictly off of Marks history, and the contracts that pitchers of much more questionable standards have gotten, I have zero doubt that if Mark Buehrle were to become a free agent tomorrow, he would have a 5 year $75 million contract in his back pocket by Friday.

Agreed. And given that JR has never shelled out that kind of money for a pitcher before, I'm not confident that he'll do it a year and a half from now.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)
5 years $50 million?  Mark would laugh at that contract, and justifiably so.  When all is said and done, Mark Buehrle is looking at a deal in the $15 million/yr range, not $10mil.  Chicago might be able to get him in the $13-14 range just for a home town discount, but if he hits the FA market, he is looking at 5/75, and maybe a 6-7 year deal.  s*** an injury prone Burnett just got 5-55, Mark is looking at much more being a lefty and never missing any starts.

Home town discount? Which home town?

If JR ever went long term (5 years +) on a pitcher's contract, this is the one to go long on. Mark does not deserve to here things like accept less to stay in Chicago. A guy busts his ass and delivers like he does, should not be hearing accept less money to stay. How about a bonus for keeping this team competitive some of those years, and being rock solid in leading the team to a WS?