McLellan Resigns, Rove back to Politics

KipWellsFan

White House Scott McClellan said Wednesday he is resigning.
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/19/D8H33RS05.html

In another move in an ongoing shakeup of President Bush's staff, longtime confidant and adviser Karl Rove is giving up oversight of policy development to focus more on politics with the approach of the fall midterm elections, a senior administration official said Wednesday.

But now, the job of deputy chief of staff for policy is being given to Joel Kaplan, now the White House's deputy budget director, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the president had not yet made the announcement.

http://cbs5.com/nationalpolitics/politicsn..._109093320.html

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So can anyone tell me how amazing it would be for Fox News' Tony Snow to actually take Scotty's job, which according to the NY Daily News Is looking like a fairly strong possiblity?

Seriously, what would the Republicans say if Dan Rather or Anderson Cooper was hired as the chief propagandist for a Democratic president?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
So can anyone tell me how amazing it would be for Fox News' Tony Snow to actually take Scotty's job, which according to the NY Daily News Is looking like a fairly strong possiblity?

Seriously, what would the Republicans say if Dan Rather or Anderson Cooper was hired as the chief propagandist for a Democratic president?

Wait. Are suggesting that Bush should select someone that doesn't have the same political point of view? I mean ... Come On!

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
Wait.  Are suggesting that Bush should select someone that doesn't have the same political point of view?  I mean ... Come On!

I'm more interested in what it says about Fox News that one of their people is being seriously considered to be the official spokesperson for an administration. No other network would EVER be able to live that down.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
I'm more interested in what it says about Fox News that one of their people is being seriously considered to be the official spokesperson for an administration.  No other network would EVER be able to live that down.

He's a well spoken media savy person that has the same ideology as the administration. This is the way to do it, as opposed to Rather flying bulls*** on his network news broadcast.

I love this. The Bush administration considers hiring a conservative news anchor and its the way to do it. But if it was a Dem and Dan Rather, it would be "flying bulls***."

This is actually a smart move on behalf of the Bush administration - because it forces the Bush administration to be more honest with its press secretary... provided Snow would have the balls to say "this won't fly." Something that McClellan clearly doesn't have the balls to do.

SNARK WARNING!

Besides it's not really a new job, so much as a transfer in departments anyway.

Nobody is going to go into that job and have an easy time of it. If anything, the press corp is going to be way harder on the next guy. Scotty was kind of the likable liar who everybody knew was just doing the job Ari had dumped in his lap, everybody knew he was shilling for the president, but his demeanor was such that he was a sympathetic character. he also took over the press gig before the president had squandered every last bit of public trust and good faith.

The next guy is in for a hell of a ride, no matter who it is.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
Wait.  Are suggesting that Bush should select someone that doesn't have the same political point of view?  I mean ... Come On!

How did he find someone with all the media bias :o

i feel bad for anyone who does this job. for either party. you're deliberately kept out of the loop on things and unknowing are forced to lie to the press. when you get caught in a lie, you then have to stand up there and take a beating from the reporters while protecting those who forced you to lie in the first place.

certainly not a job for me.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
I love this. The Bush administration considers hiring a conservative news anchor and its the way to do it. But if it was a Dem and Dan Rather, it would be "flying bulls***."

This is actually a smart move on behalf of the Bush administration - because it forces the Bush administration to be more honest with its press secretary... provided Snow would have the balls to say "this won't fly." Something that McClellan clearly doesn't have the balls to do.

SNARK WARNING!

It honestly would not bother me one iota if a Democratic president selected Rather for this position. The man is certainly well spoken and would not be at all intimited by the camera. It makes sense to me. In fact, there would be one small problem with this ... the fact that there was a Democratic president. That would suck.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 04:09 AM)
It honestly would not bother me one iota if a Democratic president selected Rather for this position.  The man is certainly well spoken and would not be at all intimited by the camera.  It makes sense to me.  In fact, there would be one small problem with this ... the fact that there was a Democratic president.  That would suck.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :notworthy

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)

SNARK WARNING!

If a Dem hired Rather I think what you would get out of the conservative side is a big fat I told you so. With Tony Snow he has never hid that he is conservative...hell I don't really think FOX News has ever hid it's conservative tilt.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)
What I think is interesting is how successful all the "new media" outlets are compared to the "main stream" outlets.  I wonder why the popularity is higher for the "new media"? 

/ducks

That's easy,

First convince an audience that each audience member is independent and neither liberal or conservative. Give them what they want. Makes them happy when they hear the news that they agree with. Have the commentators make fun of anyone that doesn't think like them, gives them a smug, elitist cocoon to sleep in. Convince them if they don't like something, it is the reporters fault. Create a bunker, us vs. them mentality. It really is a great system. We are not biased, because you are not biased, and you agree with us. So if you read, see, or hear something yuou don't agree with, it is because of a bias.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
That's easy,

First convince an audience that each audience member is independent and neither liberal or conservative. Give them what they want. Makes them happy when they hear the news that they agree with. Have the commentators make fun of anyone that doesn't think like them, gives them a smug, elitist cocoon to sleep in. Convince them if they don't like something, it is the reporters fault. Create a bunker, us vs. them mentality. It really is a great system. We are not biased, because you are not biased, and you agree with us. So if you read, see, or hear something yuou don't agree with, it is because of a bias.

But see, if more (and more) people didn't agree with these "new media" people, they wouldn't be as popular as they are.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
But see, if more (and more) people didn't agree with these "new media" people, they wouldn't be as popular as they are.

And there in lies the danger. Is it better for our societies well being for being to receive boutique news that is tailered to get them to buy it, i.e. news slanted to fit their views, or for journalists to strive to deliver the truth, no matter who it offends or attracts? I believe you and I should be watching the same newscast and pointing to stories that appear biased. You will see storied that you think are too liberal and I will see storied that appear too conservative. But in reality the newscast would be "fair and balanced". What we are moving towards is "News You Agree With". I'll play up the stuff you like and slant the stuff you don't like and you will watch, our ratings will go up, and we'll keep saying it's because we are publishing the truth.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
And there in lies the danger. Is it better for our societies well being for being to receive boutique news that is tailered to get them to buy it, i.e. news slanted to fit their views, or for journalists to strive to deliver the truth, no matter who it offends or attracts? I believe you and I should be watching the same newscast and pointing to stories that appear biased. You will see storied that you think are too liberal and I will see storied that appear too conservative. But in reality the newscast would be "fair and balanced". What we are moving towards is "News You Agree With". I'll play up the stuff you like and slant the stuff you don't like and you will watch, our ratings will go up, and we'll keep saying it's because we are publishing the truth.

ok, so why doesn't the "new media" consist of more "left-leaning" biased programs? Why are they not as successful?

:)