Zito is available

GreatScott82

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
This is the classic KW type question.  The A's have a very good team this year, and may not have as good of a team next year (i.e. Thomas could be gone, Zito gone, etc.)  So, they can hold onto Zito and make 1 gigantic run this year.  Or they could trade Zito, still try their best to make a run this year, and have some other big name guy to try to make a run next year.

Personally, if I'm in Billy Beane's seat, I figure that I missed my chance when both the Yankees and Red Sox had down years, and figure that as long as I don't give Zito to one of those 2 teams without raking them over the coals completely, I'll be better off with some other big time prospect trying to help carry me over the hump the next 6 years than just trying this year.

I can definitely see Beane's reasoning for trading Zito. Personally, I'd rather take my shot at getting to the World Series. But hey, I won't be mad if they trade him. Anything that makes Oakland weaker, even if it's just for this year, is fine by me.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

Beane traded Hudson and Mulder for prospects why wouldn't he just trade the 3rd head of the former 3 headed monster? I can see Beane trading Zito, esspecially to a desperate team like the Cubs or Yankees. The A's can still contend w/o Zito this year, and they will be better off next year when he will leave via free agency anyways.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
This is the classic KW type question.  The A's have a very good team this year, and may not have as good of a team next year (i.e. Thomas could be gone, Zito gone, etc.)  So, they can hold onto Zito and make 1 gigantic run this year.  Or they could trade Zito, still try their best to make a run this year, and have some other big name guy to try to make a run next year.

Personally, if I'm in Billy Beane's seat, I figure that I missed my chance when both the Yankees and Red Sox had down years, and figure that as long as I don't give Zito to one of those 2 teams without raking them over the coals completely, I'll be better off with some other big time prospect trying to help carry me over the hump the next 6 years than just trying this year.

Sounds like the '05 Marlins and AJ Burnett.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Sounds like the '05 Marlins and AJ Burnett.

And I think anyone you ask right now would say that the Marlins made a mistake in not trading Burnett at the deadline, considering there had to be at least a few teams, maybe even the Sox, making legit offers.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
LOL,  you guys make it seem like it's so easy to hit Zito, you guys might want to tell that to some hitters considering Zito has had one below average year(below average for him, still wasn't that bad) in his whole career.

Yup -- career 129 ERA+ for the guy, but all you gotta do is sit on his fastball and he's nothing.

You must remember, R44, that we have all these major league hitters that frequent the board.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
I don't think he's that good.  just sit on his fastball.

Tell that to the sox. I don't know what his career stats are vs us, but it always seems that we can't ever touch him even during his rough streteches...which has been the past 2 seasons. Unless thats just because were are horrible vs the a's...

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 06:59 PM)
Tell that to the sox. I don't know what his career stats are vs us, but it always seems that we can't ever touch him even during his rough streteches...which has been the past 2 seasons. Unless thats just because were are horrible vs the a's...

Oh Barry why must you always kick our ass?

G 	GS 	W 	L 	SV 	CG 	SHO 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	BB 	K 	ERA 	WHIP 	BAA 	 

10 10 7 2 0 0 0 68.0 51 25 24 7 20 47 3.18 1.04 .211

Yeah, I'd say Zito was has been pretty damn good against the Sox for a guy who's supposedly so hittable. Oh yeah and his 7-2 record VS the Sox is his best Win% against any non-divisional opponent.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
I think Zito ends up a Met this year and gets extended. I think they deal Milledge and either Mike Pelfrey or Aaron Heilman for him. I think he'd be a great fit for an NL team

If he does get traded it definitely wouldn't surprise me to see him get traded to the Mets but they absolutely can't afford to trade Heilman. He's way to important for their pen right now.

Edited by Rowand44

Right but I think Beane might send back somebody like Calero back in the deal. However, usually you won't see two top players sent in a midseason deal with an expiring contract so its could just be Milledge and something else. The problem is that the Mets don't have much below Heilman-Pelfrey-Milledge to trade after the Delgado trade. Maybe the A's want to try to resurrect Phil Humber? I dunno. I think the Yankees would have to part with Philip Hughes and maybe even J Brent Cox to get Zito and I don't think Cashman would pay that price. I think they will target Clemens instead