Miguel Olivo

AbeFroman

For whatever reason, I was kinda sad when we traded Olivo for Garcia a few years back. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we got Freddy... but I felt Olivo was a hefty price to pay. Actually, i heard rumors that he was really upset to leave the sox...

He's down in Florida right now and he's starting to heat up. After a slow start, he's got 2 homers in the last five games and he's starting to make some nice contact. I, for one, am rooting for him.

I hope he turns into an all-star... I wish him the best of luck...

Edited by AbeFroman

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
Miguel Olivo will probably be out of baseball in a couple years.  Don't get too attached.  He's just not good.

?? I doubt he will be out of baseball if nothing else the fact he has good speed and a good arm should be able to land him a backup job somewhere. Also since he rakes against lefties that will only help his cause. At the very least he will be in the minors. :bang

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
miggy will always have a special place in my heart. hope girardi gets him turned around...

Same here. It was a sad and happy day when Olivo left. Happy because Kenny had acquired a quality pitcher in Freddy Garcia, sad because Olivo was doing well with us. But if you also think about it, if Miguel would have sticked around, AJ probably wouldn’t be here. But that’s another story.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)
and Hawk said he was going to be a star right about now.

I've learned not to listen to Hawk evaluate talent. He thought Julio Ramirez was the next Willie Mays. Hawk just doesn't seem to like to look at the "big picture" in a player. Just because he can do something with a crazy talent, doesn't mean he can do the rest. (I.E. Julio Ramirez ran as fast as a horse, Olivo through as hard as a bazooka. But neither of them could hit for their life, and Olivo couldn't catch the damn ball or call a good game.) I believe Hawk also loved McKay Christensen, D'Angelo Jimenez, Carlos Pena, and Jeremy Affeldt. "Give me nine guys like Pablo Ozuna and I'll show you a winner.) ...Right, Hawk.

Well he's going to get his shot down there. Their young OF's have been struggling, so Hermida and Willingham are going to be at the corners just about everyday, leaving a spot for Olivo to play. He's still got a cannon arm and shows flashes, so I wish him the best, but I doubt he ever really puts it together.

QUOTE(ShoeLessRob @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the trade go down after he just homered in a game against the Cubs? I pictured he wasn't a happy camper returning to the dugout with those news.

Yep, he hit a homer and than was pulled early and everyone was worried and s***. Than we found out we got Freddy Garcia.

Man, if they could move to San Antonio, that would be lovely. They have like half a dozen upper-tier pitching prospects, correct? And in their first year of rebuilding, they have this five man core:

Miguel Cabrera 3B

Hanley Ramirez SS

Josh Willingham OF

Mike Jacobs 1B

Jeremy Hermida OF

Miguel Olivo has an .880 OPS vs righthanders thus far in 27 ABs, which is obviously too small of a sample size to judge a guy on, but when you look at what he has done vs. righties in the past:

2005: .506 OPS, .192 AVG (193 ABs)

2004: .621 OPS, .196 AVG (214 ABs)

2003: .567 OPS, .220 AVG (231 ABs)

What an absolute nightmare. I don't care how good you are defensively. If you are an automatic out against RHP, you don't deserve to start on a major league team.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
Man, if they could move to San Antonio, that would be lovely.  They have like half a dozen upper-tier pitching prospects, correct?  And in their first year of rebuilding, they have this five man core:

Miguel Cabrera 3B

Hanley Ramirez SS

Josh Willingham OF

Mike Jacobs 1B

Jeremy Hermida OF

Miguel Olivo has an .880 OPS vs righthanders thus far in 27 ABs, which is obviously too small of a sample size to judge a guy on, but when you look at what he has done vs. righties in the past:

2005: .506 OPS, .192 AVG (193 ABs)

2004: .621 OPS, .196 AVG (214 ABs)

2003: .567 OPS, .220 AVG (231 ABs)

What an absolute nightmare.  I don't care how good you are defensively.  If you are an automatic out against RHP, you don't deserve to start on a major league team.

Olivo is a stopgap, definitely not a longterm plan. As for the Marlins in general, they actually have closer to a full dozen top pitching prospects in their system, some lively young arms on the team already (in the rotation and bullpen), and that core of Willingham/Ramirez/Hermida/Jacobs/Cabrera along with Dontrelle is pretty good. They will be back in a few years, but just not sure where they will be playing.

Alot of teams top pitching prospects(or top 2 for that matter), wouldn't be in the top 5 of our current pitching prospects.

Dont forget Uggla either, a beauty steal from the rule v. I am hoping Kris Harvey can continue to progress, and end the year at Carolina. He's got a cannon and a good bat. I'd like to see him in LF next year(I am in the slight minority, but think he can be ready next season), and have Willingham behind the plate.

And, I dont like Jacobs. He's looking more and more like a bust, I personally would like to trade him before his value depreciates totally.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
Alot of teams top pitching prospects(or top 2 for that matter), wouldn't be in the top 5 of our current pitching prospects.

Dont forget Uggla either, a beauty steal from the rule v.  I am hoping Kris Harvey can continue to progress, and end the year at Carolina.  He's got a cannon and a good bat.  I'd like to see him in LF next year(I am in the slight minority, but think he can be ready next season), and have Willingham behind the plate.

And, I dont like Jacobs.  He's looking more and more like a bust, I personally would like to trade him before his value depreciates totally.

What do you think making a waiver claim for Joe Borchard MarlinFan?

At least Jacbos has a fairly good K/BB ratio I suppose. He does need to start hitting soon though.