Rookie of the Year

SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
If he keeps it up, I'd say Papelboner has as good as chance as anyone, especially with all of the writers slurping up the Red Sawx.

I got to agree, how often do you see a rookie take the closer's job in the beginning of the year and run with it? His stuff is filthy and his numbers are sick so far.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
I looked it up on baseball-reference.com and it says a pitcher qualifies if he has less then 50 inning pitched in his MLB career.  Bobby had 39 last year.

There's also a service time requirement. If you spend too long on a Major League roster, you no longer count for the ROY award, regardless of how much you're used. That's the one Jenks caught.

I think Paplebon doesn't count for that same reason, but I'm not sure.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
I got to agree, how often do you see a rookie take the closer's job in the beginning of the year and run with it?  His stuff is filthy and his numbers are sick so far.

He had to just miss the rookie cut off from last season. Also isnt he already like 25-26. It would be different if he was like 21-22 and came up and dominated out of no where. But with his stuff id almost expect it.

As for the NL I think Prince Fielder will win it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
There's also a service time requirement.  If you spend too long on a Major League roster, you no longer count for the ROY award, regardless of how much you're used.  That's the one Jenks caught.

I think Paplebon doesn't count for that same reason, but I'm not sure.

From MLB.com:

It was not until 1957 that clear guidelines were established. To be considered a rookie, a player could not have had more than 75 Major League at-bats, pitched more than 45 innings, or been on a Major League roster between May 15 and September 1 of any previous season. This basic formula was tinkered with until 1971, when the final definition of 130 at-bats, 50 innings, or 45 days on a roster were adopted.

History of the ROY Award

To me that is saying if any of the criteria is met, the player is eligible. Is this in error?

SFF

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
I got to agree, how often do you see a rookie take the closer's job in the beginning of the year and run with it?  His stuff is filthy and his numbers are sick so far.

Well last year the 22 year old Huston Street took over the closers role in June after pitching only 26 innings in the minors in 04 (only 2 IP of which was in AAA) and put up a 1.72 ERA and closed out 23 games and winning AL ROY honors for the Oakland Athletics. I'd say that's quite an accomplishment.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
From MLB.com:

History of the ROY Award

To me that is saying if any of the criteria is met, the player is eligible.  Is this in error?

SFF

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the major leagues; or ( B ) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a major league club or clubs during the period of a 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service).

My bad. Still don't think its fair though. :(

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
Yes. I was reading the Cubs site and it said Murton and Cedeno used their eligilbity last year, b/c they had too much time on MLB roster b/t May 15 and Sept. 1. I don't think Jenks used his eligibility. We called him up in August, right?

Based on a quick Google search, and the fact that it fits with my memories, Jenks came up on July 5, 2005. He threw some innings while a couple guys were on the DL, and he eventually took Shingo's spot when Shingo fell apart in his last shot right after the AS break, so he stayed up even when Marte & El Duque were boht healthy.

Based on a quick Google search, and the fact that it fits with my memories, Jenks came up on July 5, 2005.  He threw some innings while a couple guys were on the DL, and he eventually took Shingo's spot when Shingo fell apart in his last shot right after the AS break, so he stayed up even when Marte & El Duque were boht healthy.

Did he go back down to the minors during that time?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
Based on a quick Google search, and the fact that it fits with my memories, Jenks came up on July 5, 2005.  He threw some innings while a couple guys were on the DL, and he eventually took Shingo's spot when Shingo fell apart in his last shot right after the AS break, so he stayed up even when Marte & El Duque were boht healthy.

Looks like it was infact Shingo, though I thought it was Hermanson.

Edited by TitoMB345

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 03:55 AM)
If he keeps it up, I'd say Papelboner has as good as chance as anyone, especially with all of the writers slurping up the Red Sawx.

Yeah he's probably the odds on favorite to win it right now, the way he's gettin the job done for the Red Sox in the closer's role. Will be interesting to see if they convert him back into a starter's role next season though.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)
He had to just miss the rookie cut off from last season.  Also isnt he already like 25-26.  It would be different if he was like 21-22 and came up and dominated out of no where.  But with his stuff id almost expect it.

As for the NL I think Prince Fielder will win it.

age doesn't matter... look at ichiro

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
What about that catcher from Japan the Mariners got: Jinjo or something.  He's started off very hot.

This opens up a whole new argument about Japanese (or other foreign players) eligibility.  I say let 'em have it: rookie is rookie.

I think its closer to Khojimo or something. He's badass.

Edited by TitoMB345

Kenji Johjima.

The Japanese Rookie eligibility is an incredibly slippery slope and a never ending arguement. I'm of the belief that Japanese baseball is a high enough level of competition that it constitutes pro ball and should make anyone with experience over there ineligible for ROY over here.