Rookie of the Year

SpringfieldFan

I'm of the belief that Japanese baseball is a high enough level of competition that it constitutes pro ball and should make anyone with experience over there ineligible for ROY over here.

Hey, I here that point Kalapse. It's funny that Japanese players would be "penalized" for their league being so good.

I go back and forth on the issue myself.

On my way downstairs for another beer I thought how wonderful it is that baseball is a hit in Japan--really shows that baseball is a classic game that can be popular in a variety of cultures.

The Japanese players should be eligible. They have to adjust to langauge barriers, rules differences, culture differences, a longer season (as Ozzie used as his rationale giving Iguchi extra rest), and other things that can make the season more mentally and physically draining than most others.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
The Japanese players should be eligible. They have to adjust to langauge barriers, rules differences, culture differences, a longer season (as Ozzie used as his rationale giving Iguchi extra rest), and other things that can make the season more mentally and physically draining than most others.

Good points.

There ain't a chance in hell that I'm falling into this argument again, I've had it about 500 times and it is never ending.

Lol, I only have 400 some posts and I found myself saying that on the Frank/Thome thread...

No way I get caught up in the "Frank only hits solo shots because he's not a winner" argument again...but then I sunk into it.

I probably have to agree with you Kalapse--at least in this moment this early morning. Japan has a hell of a league probably the "AAAA" that some have called it. Their players shouldn't be eligible.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
Lol, I only have 400 some posts and I found myself saying that on the Frank/Thome thread...

No way I get caught up in the "Frank only hits solo shots because he's not a winner" argument again...but then I sunk into it.

I probably have to agree with you Kalapse--at least in this moment this early morning.  Japan has a hell of a league probably the "AAAA" that some have called it.  Their players shouldn't be eligible.

I havn't even gone into the Thome/Frank thread out of fear of getting sucked into the conversation. I just hate having the same damn argument over and over again.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)
I havn't even gone into the Thome/Frank thread out of fear of getting sucked into the conversation. I just hate having the same damn argument over and over again.

This argument is a smei-annual event here at Soxtalk. I agree with you. I don't want to be part of it again.