L10

Steve9347

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of right now, Santana isnt anywhere near Buehrle's league. Buehrle has dominated in his two wins, and Santana has looked horrid/not hisself in his two losses. RIGHT NOW, I would take Buehrle any day of the week. But there's no way I'd take Buehrle's career over Santana's..

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
Uh....no.  I love Mark but he's not in Santana's league.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
Yikes!  I love Mark as much as anybody,  but let's not get crazy.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
Pass the pipe..

Yep

You know we have a damn good rotation when currently Buerhle is our 2ND best pitcher. Yep there is no stopping Contreras right now. And Vazquez looked pretty damn dominant today. Wow this rotation is damn good.

Another bright spot is Bobby Jenks, he is looking better each time out there, he already has 6 saves. Thorton is starting to come around actually. Still not too sure about Logan? BMac is just down right awesome! However, Cotts and Pollite still worry me. Do you guys think there burned out from last season?

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
As of right now, Santana isnt anywhere near Buehrle's league. Buehrle has dominated in his two wins, and Santana has looked horrid/not hisself in his two losses. RIGHT NOW, I would take Buehrle any day of the week. But there's no way I'd take Buehrle's career over Santana's..

I'm not even sure if it's even worth responding to this. You're going to judge them off of 3 starts? Ignore thier track records and judge them off of 3 starts? Johan had a 3.55 ERA in April last year and an April ERA of 5.40.

The guy starts off weak every year, there's no reason to freak out about him now. Wait until he begins to settle in and he'll be unhittable again.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
I'm not even sure if it's even worth responding to this. You're going to judge them off of 3 starts? Ignore thier track records and judge them off of 3 starts? Johan had a 3.55 ERA in April last year and an April ERA of 5.40.

The guy starts off weak every year, there's no reason to freak out about him now. Wait until he begins to settle in and he'll be unhittable again.

You mean dude wasn't being sarcastic? :lol:

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
However, Cotts and Pollite still worry me. Do you guys think there burned out from last season?

I don't think they're burned out at all. It's not like either pitched an insane amount of innings last year. Personally, I don't think Politte has pitched as bad as his numbers suggest. His stuff has been there. His location has been the problem. They'll both be fine.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)

Santana still hasn't found his change-up, or his breaking ball for that matter, and he has still kept the Twins in the games that he has pitched strickly with his fastball. Even when he is off he can still get it done. Lets hope that his change-up eludes him for at least 1 more start.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 06:07 PM)
I don't think they're burned out at all.  It's not like either pitched an insane amount of innings last year.  Personally,  I don't think Politte has pitched as bad as his numbers suggest.  His stuff has been there.  His location has been the problem.  They'll both be fine.

Cotts will be fine, just off to a bit of a slow start. Polittle has just been SO bad, I worry if last year was a fluke for him....

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
Uh....no.  I love Mark but he's not in Santana's league.

They're different types. It's like comparing Maddux to Clemens, I think.

I wouldn't say Santana is THAT much better than Buehrle, and I'm not so sure Mark's not better to have.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
They're different types. It's like comparing Maddux to Clemens, I think.

I wouldn't say Santana is THAT much better than Buehrle, and I'm not so sure Mark's not better to have.

It has nothing to do with what kind of pitchers they are, and as far as Maddux-Clemens goes, Maddux was every bit as good as Rogers was. Johan is the best pitcher in the al right now and while Mark is one hell of a pitcher, he's just not in Johan's league at this point.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
It has nothing to do with what kind of pitchers they are, and as far as Maddux-Clemens goes, Maddux was every bit as good as Rogers was.  Johan is the best pitcher in the al right now and while Mark is one hell of a pitcher, he's just not in Johan's league at this point.

Johan Santana is the best pitcher in baseball period. His stuff is so f***ing sick and he knows exactly how to use it, he's just one of those damn pitchers that comes around only once every decade.

Mark is a f***ing awesome pitcher, don't get me wrong. The guy has some good pitches and is smart as hell, pitches tons of innings and is a great guy but he's just nowhere near Santana right now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)
Johan Santana is the best pitcher in baseball period. His stuff is so f***ing sick and he knows exactly how to use it, he's just one of those damn pitchers that comes around only once every decade.

Mark is a f***ing awesome pitcher, don't get me wrong. The guy has some good pitches and is smart as hell, pitches tons of innings and is a great guy but he's just nowhere near Santana right now.

Yeup, agree with everything, I'm just so used to saying american league in my arguments, but he is the best pitcher in the majors, no doubt in my mind.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)

Yes, right now, I will take Buehrle over Santana. RIGHT NOW. Once Santana settles in, I'm sure he'll be my pick. But until he shows me he has found his grove, I'm taking Buehrle. Like I said, I'm not taking Buehrle's career over Santana's at all, but as of this moment, Buehrle is pitching better.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
Yes, right now, I will take Buehrle over Santana. RIGHT NOW. Once Santana settles in, I'm sure he'll be my pick. But until he shows me he has found his grove, I'm taking Buehrle. Like I said, I'm not taking Buehrle's career over Santana's at all, but as of this moment, Buehrle is pitching better.

I'd say that even right now, Santana has a better chance of finding his best stuff and absolutely shutting down a team than Buehrle. It's just the way the 2 pitchers are, it doesn't really even matter how they both look at the moment or whether you think Santana hasn't found his best stuff yet.

If there was ever a time to face Santana, it's now. He could shut the Sox down, but he hasn't done that so far this season so I'm hoping for the best...or the worst, however you want to look at it.

Meanwhile, for those who are real high on Vazquez and Garland, remember that they shut down the Royals. I know they pitched well, but I want to see more.

QUOTE(G&T @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)
Meanwhile, for those who are real high on Vazquez and Garland, remember that they shut down the Royals. I know they pitched well, but I want to see more.

Exactly on Vaz, he has shut down the Royals twice and the other start there was an excuse (from Ozzie) that he was tipping pitches.

I have him pegged as our No. 3 guy, but I still would like to see a couple of more starts against real competition (i.e. not the Royals). So far against one legit team he got shelled.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 07:00 PM)
Exactly on Vaz, he has shut down the Royals twice and the other start there was an excuse (from Ozzie) that he was tipping pitches.

I have him pegged as our No. 3 guy, but I still would like to see a couple of more starts against real competition (i.e. not the Royals).  So far against one legit team he got shelled.

I didn't get to see Garland pitch so I don't exactly know how he looked(from the sounds of it he was better but still not great) but Vaz was just absolutely nasty today, nobody would have hit him today.