BP's "Top 50"--Where's Buehrle?

chitownsportsfan

I see that BP has now teamed up with ESPN--this is first sign of the apocaylpse.

They list their "50 most valuable"--but MB is nowhere to be found.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...e=silver/060418

Pretty large oversight if you ask me.

Dave at USSMARINER had MB as his 10th most valuable this offseason.

http://ussmariner.com/?p=2788

Pull no punches, sharpen your knives--discuss your hatred for BP and why MB should have made the list. As a sabermetric follower, I still can't stand them.

I already emailed this jackass earlier today.

Predictably, he won't respond.

I urge you all to do the same from the following link, but do it respectably:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/contact.php

Change the drop down box labeled recipient to Nate Silver.

Since he's a Tigers fan, I told him to enjoy Verlander and their 4th place finish. We already knocked Verlander around.

I saw that list, too. The only conclusion I can make is that if this PECOTA stat picks nobody from the past year's champion that indicates that either it's a horrendous statistic, our manager is awesome, or it does not account for how players can actually contribute to winning baseball games.

Buehrle doesn't accurately fit the statistical representation of an ace pitcher. While his ERA and WHIP are respectable (both are ranked within top 10 in the AL), he'll annually have hit totals approaching/exceeding IP. And sexy strikeout numbers will never be there. I'm guessing since this list is compiled by a Baseball Prospectus writer using their methods, PECOTA doesn't look too foundly upon Buehrle's success. I'm positive there's an indication our defense from last season assisted him.

Also, I wouldn't have placed prospects on the list unless they're absolute can't misses. How can you mention someone who hasn't had one major league AB over an established player in the league?

I'll give you one name Nate Silver missed--and he's chilling in my avatar right now. Sure deserves a citation over any prospect. But since no relievers were mentioned, and Liriano currently fits that description, they must have avoided his inclusion by design.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 08:34 PM)
I'll give you one name Nate Silver missed--and he's chilling in my avatar right now. Sure deserves a citation over any prospect. Since no relievers were mentioned, and Liriano currently fits that description, they've avoided his inclusion alltogether.

And conveiniently, as a Tigers fan, he included Justin Verlander.

What a fraud Silver is.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
WHO GIVES A f***!?!?!?  WORLD CHAMPS!

I'll tell you who I hope cares. THE f***ING WORLD CHAMPS!

Add that fuel to the fire, and use it to their advantage. Oh, winning the Series doesn't get us respect? Well, we better just go out there and do it again.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
And conveiniently, as a Tigers fan, he included Justin Verlander.

What a fraud Silver is.

But Justin Verlander is the next Kerry Wood!

Talk about a backhanded compliment...

Since the list is for younger players who will be valuable to their team in the future, it's not really a top 50 list.

Still there's some bad errors here. Kendrick over Wood. I'm sure Jason would tell us that's not right. David Ortiz so high (I doubt whether he can produce the numbers he has over the next few years), and B.J Upton at 25 (not like his defense is a problem or anything right)? :lol:

Since the list is for younger players who will be valuable to their team in the future, it's not really a top 50 list.

Right, kinda like a "top 50 players by value over the rest of their career".

One thing I think they overlook is Buehrle's sparkling healthy and inning eating ability. His ability to pitch 200+ innings of above average LHP year after year without a hint of arm trouble makes him quite unique--and valuable.

He says he's just looking at trade value. Could someone splain to me how Velander has a higher trade value than Brandon McCarthy?

Silver is a Tiggers fan? Your guess is as good as mine.

Kong shouldn't have made the list--although he's critical on the Sox, he's nearing the end of his career, and although a good hitter, isn't "great' for a 1B making what he's now making.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)
Silver is a Tiggers fan?  Your guess is as good as mine.

Kong shouldn't have made the list--although he's critical on the Sox, he's nearing the end of his career, and although a good hitter, isn't "great' for a 1B making what he's now making.

Well, if Kong is nearing the end of his career then so is Derek Lee, seeing how Lee is 5 months older than Pauly.

Well, if Kong is nearing the end of his career then so is Derek Lee, seeing how Lee is 5 months older than Pauly

Yea, I don't understand Lee making the list as high as he did. He had one great season where he managed to raise his average over 59 points higher than his career average. Let me repeat that: 59 points!

He is never going to repeat 2005--never. He'll likely be the same 120 OPS+ hitter he's always been. Maybe it's his defense at 1B? Although 1B defense isn't that important.

I don't know, just trying to rationalize the unreasonable..