Texas food question. . . Tex, Kap??

FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
Well, if you Texans take that beanless so called 'chilli' and put it in a tortilla, you get your standard ground beef taco.  :D

Ah, but the best Texas-style chilis that I have had use fine cubed beef and not ground.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)
Ah, but the best Texas-style chilis that I have had use fine cubed beef and not ground.

Exactly, and who puts in a bunch of hot peppers in their sloppy joes or taco meat?

http://www.g6csy.net/chile/recp-texas.html

Hell, we invented the stuff, we should know which fixin's go into it. :D

I'm guessing y'all that put beans in it, also just use some pre-packaged, bland "chili powder" or packaged seasonings and cook it in less than 3 or 4 hours. You are correct then you will need some beans or anything to fix that up, but y'all got a mess to begin with.

Now if you are going to slow cook your chili, with fresh herbs and spices, along with some dried. Use a good chuck of meat, filet wouldn't be unheard of, and finely cube it. Time your seasoning "dumps" throughout the all day cooking process to achieve a depth of flavors, add several chilis and peppers to again, broaden the range and depth of your chili. Then you will see why beans would be an insult to the dish.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
Now if you are going to slow cook your chili, with fresh herbs and spices, along with some dried. Use a good chuck of meat, filet wouldn't be unheard of, and finely cube it. Time your seasoning "dumps" throughout the all day cooking process to achieve a depth of flavors, add several chilis and peppers to again, broaden the range and depth of your chili. Then you will see why beans would be an insult to the dish.

So when do you put the ketchup in again? :D

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
A couple options would be

corn tortilla, slightly to moderatly greasy with bistek (chopped steak) onions and cilantro. Definately "Tex-Mex"

flour tortilla with scrambled eggs, and whatever makes a good omlette.

How about some Texas BBQ? Pit smoked, (pecan or mesquit) Brisket with beans, rice or potato sales, raw onion, pickle, jalepenos, and a couple slices of white bread and some sweeeeeeeet tea. That would be my first choice. If you could get some BBQ sauce from Millers or Rudy's that would be almost perfect.

droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
So when do you put the ketchup in again?  :D

When you dice up the hotdog meat and throw it in :lol:

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
So, I'm guessing I can't get a good vegetarian chilli in Texas?

You definately need some green for that post :P

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:42 AM)
Exactly, and who puts in a bunch of hot peppers in their sloppy joes or taco meat?

http://www.g6csy.net/chile/recp-texas.html

Hell, we invented the stuff, we should know which fixin's go into it.  :D

I'm guessing y'all that put beans in it, also just use some pre-packaged, bland "chili powder" or packaged seasonings and cook it in less than 3 or 4 hours. You are correct then you will need some beans or anything to fix that up, but y'all got a mess to begin with.

Nahhhh, you just know what ORIGINALLY went into chili..... :P :D

A few of those recipes sound real good.....as long as I throw some beans in there....and some mushrooms..... :wub:

Chili without beans, at least for me, just means spicy beef soup.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
So, I'm guessing I can't get a good vegetarian chilli in Texas?

Yes, you can get some great vegetarian chili in Texas. It just will not be Texas Chili. It will be chili in Texas. :D

BTW, the reliance on the peppers and spices to make the chili helps a good vegetarian chili, not taking anything away. A tomato based, processed spice, bean filled chili is yuck, but a carefully crafted pot of chilis and I guess beans or tofu, is wonderful. Welcome to Texas, Y'all come anytime.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
Nahhhh, you just know what ORIGINALLY went into chili..... :P  :D

A few of those recipes sound real good.....as long as I throw some beans in there....and some mushrooms..... :wub:

Chili without beans, at least for me, just means spicy beef soup.

OK, expanding this conversation about what should go into chili . . .

A good friend has a family chili recipe that includes GREEN OLIVES in it. I give him s*** about it all the time, but secretly I adore his chili. It's unique and really quite outstanding.

I think if the origins of his chili can be traced, it is probably derived from the Cincinatti chili line and not the Texas chili line. Cincy chili had a completely different origin, apparently by a couple of Greek immigrant brothers with a hot dog vending cart. Their version used all kinds of Mediterranean spices in it, so the olive thing seems like it could have legitimately come down that way.

One of the loses that comes with a mobile society is local flavors. Chili, at its root, is a meat dish spiced with local ingrediants. In Texas we have many chili peppers growing wild, along with wild onions, and spices. So a chili emerged using those ingrediants. As people mix and bring with them "exotic" spices and dishes, the world becomes more of a melting pot, with each area more and more like every other area until Paris, TX and Cairo, IL become Paris, France and Cairo Egypt and vice versa.

At the same time, there is something exciting about the synthesis of very different cuisines into something new. Creole and cajun cuisines, tapas, even so-called New American cuisine are all more than the sum of their parts.

Not that indiginous cuisines shoudl not be respected and preserved. But being catch-as-can by nature, they may not have all the right components to make them world class. Comfort food versus high epicurean culture, I guess.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
At the same time, there is something exciting about the synthesis of very different cuisines into something new.  Creole and cajun cuisines, tapas, even so-called New American cuisine are all more than the sum of their parts.

Not that indiginous cuisines shoudl not be respected and preserved.  But being catch-as-can by nature, they may not have all the right components to make them world class.  Comfort food versus high epicurean culture, I guess.

Agreed. When I was travelling weekly for work, it became "this is Wednesday and I'm hot, it must be Phoenix" who could tell by the Friday's next to the Applebees next to the Starbuck next to the Denny's all next to the LaQuinta.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
Agreed. When I was travelling weekly for work, it became "this is Wednesday and I'm hot, it must be Phoenix" who could tell by the Friday's next to the Applebees next to the Starbuck next to the Denny's all next to the LaQuinta.

Some cities have retained character better than others. Phoenix, aside from the adobe house look, looks just like a suburb of LA, so I don't think it has done much that way. This is one of the reasons I am so proud to be a Chicagoan - the city still has a great local flavor, literally and figuratively.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
Some cities have retained character better than others.  Phoenix, aside from the adobe house look, looks just like a suburb of LA, so I don't think it has done much that way.  This is one of the reasons I am so proud to be a Chicagoan - the city still has a great local flavor, literally and figuratively.

That's a great point. It is the suburbs that have become The United States of Generica.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So good

And yeah, noodles... not like spaghetti noodles but im talkin bout like maccaroni noodles.. its awesome