Texas food question. . . Tex, Kap??

FlaSoxxJim

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
What the heck is Cinci chili?  Like Cincinnati?  Are they known for chili or something?

Ya, they have these places called Skyline chili. They put like cinnamon into the chili to make it a bit sweeter and serve it with pasta.

Had it one time and it was pretty good. I'm sure I'll try it again when I'm in Cincy for the Sox series.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
How is it.  I love Lindy's chili on t he southside.  I drive past that place all the time and have never tried it.

Used to go to the original Bishops on Damen and work by Lindies - they are both okay but nothing like making your own!!!!

There is a great book out called "Chilli Madness" by Jane Butel. After a while you realize most of the recipes are pretty much alike and learn to wing it on your own.

The other neat thing about Jane Butel and her web site is she sells hot and mild red chilli powder - the real stuff without oregano and other stuff mixed in.

My son and I have been following her recipes for years and YES we prefer to make it with beans!!!

I know this is not the original but just seems right !

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
Isn't Cinci chili a marriage between Texas/Southwest Chili (no beans) and Boston/Northeast Chili (beans, no tomato)

No it isn't in terms of its actual origins, though there may be similarities due to convergent evolution of the styles.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/CincinnatiChili.htm

Cincinnati-style chili is quite different from its more familar Texas cousin, and it has developed a cult-like popularity. What makes it different is the way the meat is cooked. The chili has a thinner consistency and is prepared with an unusual blend of spices that includes cinnamon, chocolate or cocoa, allspice, and Worcestershire. this is truly the unofficial grub of Cincinnati.

. . .

Macedonian immigrant Tom Kiradjieff created Cincinnati chili in 1922. With his brother, John, Kiradjieff opened a small Greek restaurant called the Empress. The restaurant did poorly however, until Kiradjieff started offering a chili made with Middle Eastern spices, which could be served in a variety of ways. He called it his "spaghetti chili." Kiradjieff's "five way" was a concoction of a mound of spaghetti toped with chili, chopped onion, kidney beans, and shredded yellow cheese, served with oyster crackers and a side order of hot dogs topped with more shredded cheese.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
How is it.  I love Lindy's chili on t he southside.  I drive past that place all the time and have never tried it.

Wow Lindy's Chili and Gerties Ice Cream....talk about memories.

They put one in Ford City East, which I don't even know if that's what its called anymore, but it used to kinda be my backyard.