Gammon on WEEI

Jimbo's Drinker

Yeah the Tribune is trying to sell the Cubs, however I don't know WTF the rest of that is about. If the Wirtz family bought the Cubs though, that would be pretty funny.

The Tribune doesn't want to sell the Cubs, but they are at just about peak value between the attendance, new bleachers, and of course the Tribune is DESPERATE for money right now. And not just the kind the Cubs make every year, they need a payday in a bad way.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
Yeah the Tribune is trying to sell the Cubs, however I don't know WTF the rest of that is about.  If the Wirtz family bought the Cubs though, that would be pretty funny. 

The Tribune doesn't want to sell the Cubs, but they are at just about peak value between the attendance, new bleachers, and of course the Tribune is DESPERATE for money right now.  And not just the kind the Cubs make every year, they need a payday in a bad way.

don't shoot the messenger. Can you imagine, the cubs would not televise any home games..haha

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
he said during an interview that the cubs are looking to sell.  old man pete said the Wirtz family is looking to buy the cubs and sell the hawks to JR??

ummm what

As cub hater and a long suffering Black Hawks fan, this would be my wildest fantasy come true. Wirtz would run the ball club even deeper into the ground while JR would build a cup team. It is much too good to ever be true.

Edited by TLAK

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:32 AM)
Even Wirtz wouldn't be that stupid.  All the games are sold out so he wouldn't do anything.  However if things ever got bad, he could definately run that franchise into the ground.

Wirtz had plenty of sellouts in the 90's and he still managed to bury the blackhawks in fine fashion. Wirtz never had a problem making money, it was spending money that he always had a problem with.

Does this mean that Cubs home games will be blacked out on WGN and Comcast? ;)

Wirtz is just arrogant enough to believe that he can push the cubs over the top and give them the world series that would rehabilitate his poor reputation in this town. Maybe that might be an incentive for him...

... nonetheless, I doubt this is really going to be happen... It would bring me great joy, but it would take the perfect storm of circumstances before Wirtz would buy the chicago cubs. I know he's wealthy, but with the destroyed value of the hawks, does he even have the capital to buy the cubs?

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 08:29 AM)
If Tribune sold the Cubs, would they still own Wrigley Field? B/c that would mean they still get the money from parking and concessions

I dont think a prospective owner is just going to want the team. The park comes with the team usually

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 10:21 AM)
Well what about ballparks that the teams are using under lease, like the Marlins or using from another team, like the Twins who have to give their money from parking and concessions to the Vikings?

Yeah, you are talking about one team(the Marlins) who were supposed to get thier own stadium multiple times only to have the owners screw them and abandon the team. And another team(the Twins) whose taxpayers refuse to pay for the whole thing. Both of those teams are pretty much stuck with what they have, but I bet they still make revenue on concessions and parking.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
OKay. I guess the Marlins get the parking and concessions, but I know for a fact that the Twins have to give what they get to the Vikings.

Do you have a link for that? I would like to read that article

QUOTE(TLAK @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 07:23 AM)
As cub hater and a long suffering Black Hawks fan, this would be my wildest fantasy come true.  Wirtz would run the ball club even deeper into the ground while JR would build a cup team.  It is much too good to ever be true.

I agree that would be awesome.